RE:Trophies

People with 1000 friends are the same ones that love their participation trophies.

This post was edited

People with 1000 friends are the same ones that love their participation trophies.

It's not always easy being a trophy husband ya know ! :D :D

This post was edited

Since I'm here for the forum side of things, the few friend requests I've made have been to those who make regular and interesting contributions. I've generally accepted requests on the assumption others may want to follow my posts. Sometimes I trawl others' feeds as a way to find interesting threads.

Even then, if there were better ways of following threads (like subscribing), I'd probably just use that.

This post was edited

People with 1000 friends are the same ones that love their participation trophies.It's not always easy being a trophy husband ya know ! :D :D

Love it! I am sure you are.

This post was edited

Like many on TN I sent out a number of friend requests the first few days on the website. A few accepted and replied, most did not which is fine. I have never been one to have the largest number of friends as quality and integrity hold more value to me. I only request friendship from those that I feel I have some common interest or can relate to on some level.

Funny thing I have noticed over the years is that I have many different and distinct friend groups separated by activity. Having friends that span multiple activities is very, very rare to non-existent in my experience. Maybe I have just have too many interests?

This post was edited

All I know is I am married to who I think my trophy is who chose me. Go figure ?? Perhaps I am the trophy ? :D

This post was edited

I doubt you can make friends on social media. Make friends in real life.It is possible to make friends online. If they're local and you meet up with them it's not too uncommon at all. As for making purely online friends that last more than a couple of years? Very, very rare. But it does happen.Of course always there is a probability that everything happens. Just try to get the point.

I do have a few on other sites that I have kept in touch with for longer than that. Since I have only been messaging people on this site for less than 4 years, I can't say for certain how long I will maintain virtual friendships but I expect it will be the same as the others.

This post was edited

"Trophies" entails seeing people as objects and "friend" as a verb is a computer click. Neither deal with relationships or quality of life.
I have more friends on this site than I correspond with. Some will text back and forth and we get distracted and pick it up again, others I enjoy following their threads, and yet others lose interest in the site and I delete them if they're not active after several months. I'm fortunate to have met several from TN to make real world friends.
Since this is "social" networking I don't accept private profiles and avoid people who are new on the site without certification. But if they express a genuine interest and willingness to communicate, I'll accept..
I could care less about metrics but wish to show respect for others. "Re + spect = to look at twice"

This post was edited

All I know is I am married to who I think my trophy is who chose me. Go figure ?? Perhaps I am the trophy ? :D

So true. I feel the same way about my gf. I feel chosen.

This post was edited

I feel the same way. My wife is the most remarkable woman Ive ever met and Im proud to be her husband. Every now and then...she gives me the look and I know shes the one for me. I chuckle & tell folks I almost jumped out of a moving vehicle the first time I saw her but its true. Im a lucky guy. Its been 38 years & counting but never enough...YES!!!

This post was edited