RE:1911 Sidearm

I am kind of a 1911 junkie. It is my favorite pistol platform by far. There are many good quality and reliable brands available it just comes down to your budget and what "look" you are after. Mil-spec or stock is always very popular for the traditional crowd and there are mild improvements available on most of the models such as sights, hammer, grip safety, grips and mag well opening. After that you start getting into performance and aesthetic upgrades like match barrels, higher perf sights, perf finishes and material construction. Then at the higher levels you get into semi-custom and custom build guns built by specialized gunsmiths with significant cost.
Most people go by budget and appearance as most guns these days are good, reliable, functioning arms.

Brands that I have had experience with are (in no particular order), Springfield, STI, Dan Wesson, Kimber, Norinco, SVI, Nighthawk, Brazos, Les Baer, RIA and many more.

If you know specifically what type or price point you are looking for I could give more specialized details on options in that category.

Happy Shooting!

This post was edited

Ruger is a relative newcomer to the 1911 game, but they do make a pretty good one.

This post was edited

Live a 1911, I have a Ruger SR1911

Ruger makes some really good firearms with the exception of the one pictured below, I don't know what rounds it is chambered for, but I guess that doesn't matter given the description of it.

This post was edited

Mine

This post was edited

Mine

That looks like it is bare steel with no kind of finish on it at all. What's up with that? Other than that, it looks pretty nice.

This post was edited

It's a sig sauer made to look weathered.

This post was edited

Have a Smith & Wesson SW1911 and a Colt Series 70. Both fairly recent.

This post was edited

I have I believe 5 1911-type pistols, in 9mm, 38 Super, and several in 45 ACP. I finally got one that is a 1911 not a 1911 A-, I love my single-action pistols. I don
't know why people love Glocks, I've never owned one or even fired one. I've had many dozens of handguns over the years, from single shots to semi-autos as well as revolvers. I like them all, as I get older I tend to prefer handguns over rifles because they weigh less and are easier to transport.

This post was edited

Just an update, I added 2 1911s since I last posted 3 years ago. A Cimmaron 1911 in 45 ACP (not 1911 A-1) amd a Tisas in 9mm.

This post was edited