RE:Evolution of cameras, and knowing your neighbors

The system at our house will be self supporting that can't be hacked into or out on the cloud for obvious reasons. We have company over I can easily turn off the cameras however most of our close friends don't mind. At my business it does not matter so much and it's a lot easier system to install.

This post was edited

My issue with home security cameras, trail cams and drone cams is that that they aren't being used for the purposes intended. Example... a person views their cam photo and spots a neighbor outside and nude. They call the police. The neighbor gets charged with being nude. This person was not a threat to the one with the camera. It was used for something other than security.
As a nudist I have no issue in being seen by anyone. I've been seen by many at ourcresort and nude beaches. The issue is the other person invading my right to be.

This post was edited

If you choose to use any internet connected 'home security' device be sure to check out exactly what it does and where it sends the data collected by it. So many have been found to be 'phoning home' in ways that were not disclosed in the main T&C's, if at all, and to be sending the data to 'authorities' that the user/purchaser had never agreed to having access to the data. Plus, they are very easily hacked, as are many other IOT devices. Things like Ring doorbells have sent out alerts simply because a person walking past them did not conform to the stereotypical 'acceptable' person programmed into the device. They are like Alexia/Siri connected devices, big sister/brother intrusions. They are not coming anywhere near my home. Who does your internet connected fridge or TV talk to behind your back? Quite possibly the same data brokers as your security devices; they know far more about you than you do. Purchasing these type of devices means that you are actually paying to give your data to them, not just your data either. If I visit you then my data is collected by them too and I certainly do not consent to that.

I'm not scare-mongering, I work in an area where data security matters, so I get to learn about a lot of this type of thing.

This post was edited

We have the Ring door bell but if we do decide to get security cameras, I'll be bending your ear on these precautions, for sure!

This post was edited

Nik is the guy I think to confer with Andy certainly not me as I have an IT guy always on standby and fix's what ever goes wrong or I screw up a setting. My house will not be wifi cams but rather hard wired to an indiscrete hidden hard drive. He already installed an encrypted computer back up he can't even view through his servers. That means he now has to come to my house media room to fix my ignorant mistakes or failures.

Wifi looks to be so much easier and cheaper to do. My choice for our home as I said before was for obvious reasons. I do just about believe any high school kid could hack a wifi cam system now.

This post was edited

...My house will not be wifi cams but rather hard wired to an indiscrete hidden hard drive.......Wifi looks to be so much easier and cheaper to do...../quote]

You're right Rock about wi-fi being easier and cheaper to set up and run; no wiring required beyond the router saves on the cost big time, but like cheaper options in other fields it comes with weaknesses.

@ Andy YW

This post was edited

Nick is it true the Ring system collects personal data now ?

This post was edited