RE:YMCA QUESTION

As a man who grew up with the YMCA in the 1950s, nudity in the locker room and in the pools was the norm. I belong to a country club and I find the older men have no issues being nude and will walk freely nude to shave nude or go to the steam room, stand nude by their locker, talk to other men nude, etc. What I also now see is the younger guys seem to be very shy about getting nude. I truly cannot understand that. We are all males, all have the same body and genitals, some might be fat, some skinny, but we are all men. I am never ashamed of my naked body with other nude men. Sad state of affairs for true nudists.

Did men work out nude at your Y in the 50s? I know that some Ys permitted it.

This post was edited

You are so right. I was a member at the YMCA for a few years. It was very normal to be nude in the locker room. Most guy walked from their locker to the steam room to the shower and never even covered with the towel.

I joined a regular gym and no one is ever naked in the locker room.

This post was edited

The Y here in Chicago used to be a pick up place for gay and bi men To the point one couldn't change clothes or shower without being hit upon.. They have cleaned it up by imposing the very rules many find too conservative

This post was edited

I haven't had a membership to the Y in about 9 years, but the one I went to in Toronto had the locker room, Whirlpool, steam room and dry sauna all connected to each other, so I wold strip naked and wander around for an hour or so every day, enjoying all of these facilities.

I noticed the young guys would try to get in the whirlpool with their underwear on and I wold tell them off for it telling them it was gross, "nobody wants your skid marks in the fucking whirlpool, take your damned underwear off" it worked. however there were also signs up that said the only nude or swimsuits were allowed in the whirlpool.

The point being instead of being shamed for your nudity, instead encourage others to get naked. its a locker room after all.

This post was edited

Just do what feels comfortable to you. As a self-described old guy, we grew up during a time when showers were required in school after gym class. I played sports so we were all in gang showers. The YMCA only allowed you to swim nude. We learned at an early age that nudity was no big deal. At some point that all changed and nobody showered after gym (ugh) and nudity became sexualized and now I see grown guys struggling to change under a towel. My gym has posted signs that everyone must be covered by a towel in the locker room. So if you are lucky enough to be where you can be nude in the sauna, just enjoy it if you feel so inclined. The old guys wont care and will likely admire your courage.

This post was edited