RE:Hot tub recommendations?

Five years since I posted. I see GSNPhil did a follow up post. Thanks!

I bought a Viking Heritage II. Its about 370 gallons, and advertised as an eight person spa, but it works best with three or four. I had to replace the lid; it blew off, cracked, and eventually disintegrated. One circuit board went out last February (2020) and had to be replaced. The replacement died the other day and I had a repairman out today (January 2021). Fortunately, its still under warranty.

I imagine Id buy something different next time, but plan to stick with this one now that I have it.

This post was edited

I've had my Sundance Burlington (Model no longer made) for over 11 years now. I've replaced the circuit board once (power surge fried a relay for the heater, along with other stuff in my house). I'm on my 3rd set of jets (This set seems to be better made and sturdier at the points they get held into the fittings. I suspect Sundance had lots of complaints and redesigned them), 3rd set of pillows, 3rd set of filters, and it's in need of a new cover which will be it's 3rd (Snow and ice do a number on them - it's out in the open). All of which is, in my opinion, routine maintance.

As much as recommendations for the actual tub you get, you need to ask around about the service the shop provides. Of the two around me, one has an absolutely horrible customer service reputation, the other much smaller operation the only complaint I've heard about them is they are so busy, it takes weeks to get an appointment. Their service is great though, which is one reason they are so busy.

It is also important to actually sit in the tub to make sure you are comfortable in it. Your body size can turn a tub your short neighbor loves into one you hate if your tall. and so on. It doesn't necessarily need to be a 'wet' test, though that is preferable to test jet strength. Speaking of which, the more jets the better. You can always close a jet if you don't like it. You can't create a new jet.

My personal recommendations:

If the waterfall is optional, skip it and save a few bucks. Same with the "mood" lighting and the radio options. I can't speak to the newer forms of UV sanitation methods as I haven't used them. The one drawback to Bromine, which I use in mine is it tends to leave a fine 'dust' covering all the surfaces. It easly wipes away, but can be annoying. If I had to do all over again at the time, I would have opted for the salt chlorine system which my pool uses.

I'm sure other opinions will disagree. Just consider all the options and talk to people that actually use them, not just the sales person that is trying to make a sale.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

It appears almost all Hot Tubs are extended delivery. Most everyone is out of stock. The earliest I've seen for anything other than a inflatable is Mid March '21. What surprises me is it doesn't seem anyone does setup. Ship to the curb and you're on your own. One would think for $8 - 12K the company would at least set it up. (Add another $1K for a 240 power install).

Mine was delivered to my pad, but they would not hook up the electric. (liability I'm sure, as they were not licensed electricians). I had most of the electrical in place before it was delivered (licensed electrician who just happened to be my HS electonics teacher), then did the final hook up from the outside box to the tub myself.

As for delivery time, while COVID has exasberated this, it wasn't all that unusual before. Tubs are generally made to order unless you are buying a floor model. Back in 2009, I ordered mine in Oct and it was delivered mid-January 2010.

This post was edited