The Disappearing Steam Room

Growing up and watching T.V. the Steam Room was shown as a place for businessmen to relax and talk shop before making a deal. It was a special place to go to after playing golf with your boss and coworkers. I never had the opportunity to use a Steam Room growing up until my late 40s when I discovered one on a cruise ship. I did what I had seen on T.V. by undressing at a locker and by wrapping a towel around my waist, it was an incredible feeling being in a Steam Room with other guys. I also learned it was acceptable to be naked while in the Steam Room with other guys.

I have searched for other places that would have Steam Rooms, like gyms and resorts. It seams that Steam Rooms are a dying way of relaxation, it seams Saunas are the new replacement to relax in with others or have been made co-ed. I have seen Steam Rooms closed due to mechanical issues for long periods of time and have seen some of them disappear from the mens locker room on a cruise ship. I love spending time in a Steam Room but it has been an on going hunt in finding one in todays environment.

This topic was edited
RE:The Disappearing Steam Room

My local YMCA still has men's steam room. Love it! Looking forward to covid restrictions lifting so they can open it again.

This post was edited

Pretty much every spa I have ever been to has both a steam room and a sauna and I normally enjoy both. It's just sad that most are textile except for special Naturist events.

I have never managed to combine business with relaxing in a spa though; might have been fun!

This post was edited

Growing up and watching T.V. the Steam Room was shown as a place for businessmen to relax and talk shop before making a deal. It was a special place to go to after playing golf with your boss and coworkers. I never had the opportunity to use a Steam Room growing up until my late 40s when I discovered one on a cruise ship. I did what I had seen on T.V. by undressing at a locker and by wrapping a towel around my waist, it was an incredible feeling being in a Steam Room with other guys. I also learned it was acceptable to be naked while in the Steam Room with other guys.I have searched for other places that would have Steam Rooms, like gyms and resorts. It seams that Steam Rooms are a dying way of relaxation, it seams Saunas are the new replacement to relax in with others or have been made co-ed. I have seen Steam Rooms closed due to mechanical issues for long periods of time and have seen some of them disappear from the mens locker room on a cruise ship. I love spending time in a Steam Room but it has been an on going hunt in finding one in todays environment.

The upkeep is significant and when replacing the system is due they rip em out. Also epidemiology on the steam room is not good. They're usually filthy even if they are looking clean. Steam is offered by spas, big spas, Russian baths and Korean baths. And home use is easier and available. In the 60's 70's 80's most of gym and pool and sports builds were YMCA YWCA UNIVERSITY or Community Center the private sector took over and built communities of chain gyms that mainly only do cardi

This post was edited

My old YMCA had a steam room.. I truly miss that. They also had gang showers in that lockerroom. When then did and addition they added new a new lockerroom etc with private showers. Luckily they kept the original lockers. I don't think any new gyms do open showers or steamrooms anymore.

This post was edited

My old YMCA which closed during the pandemic had a steam room that required a new layer of tiles to be added very five years or so for the most simple maintenance. Since I'm 6'3" and my feet dangled like a kid, I imagine there must have been a foot of ceramic tiles on the benches. The LA Fitness that took over put in a sauna, citing health concerns regarding steam rooms. I find it odd that not only do people have shorts on, they can even have shoes, a hoodie and electronics. People in Phoenix don't wear as much when it gets that hot.
I don't know much about what constitutes a safe sauna regarding temperature, but I do know that food should be kept above 140 F. My understanding is that most wet saunas in the US are 150-175 degrees. Russian banyas however tend to be around boiling, give or take 10 F. We have several in Chicago but most seem to have a strong towel or sheet culture without prohibiting nudity.
I prefer a sauna that's 180-200F for a good sweat; less than that feels like an incubator.

This post was edited

There are times I don't want to make the hour drive to the Korean spa, which has steam and sauna, both currently open.
I will use the local athletic club which also has both but their steam room is temporarily closed.
Their sauna is okay but 90% of those who use it are fully clothed while using their cell phones. That just seems so unsanitary to me as they will pile in after their workout.
They probably just think of me as the crazy naked old guy. Too bad most can't just enjoy it nude, after they have showered rather than before.
I had to leave early last week from my sweat as they packed in like sardines in full workout gear.
I imagine they do the same in the steam room when it's open.
I guess I'll just need to make the drive to the Spa. I much prefer the nude atmosphere and comfort level.
It's so much more enjoyable, and smells cleaner!

This post was edited

I think it's all about gym operating cost. The fitness industry is super competitive now. People have many options between CrossFits, trendy group fitness programs like Orange Theory or Soul Cycle, 24 hour neighborhood gyms, and traditional full feature athletic clubs. You need to pump a lot of members thru a space at $29/month to make the numbers work... which is why you see less and less of amenities like toiletries, towel service, and... steam rooms. Gym operators have to cut out all the extra things to make the numbers work. The only gyms in my city with steam rooms are well around $150/month. Most people aren't willing to pay that price anymore.

This post was edited

The Russian Banya back home in Michigan was one of the best male bonding I ever experienced. Its sad that there arent more opportunities for that across the country. Its healthy, and I would argue even necessary for proper socialization.

This post was edited

growing up in Balto ...the downtown YMCA was a residence for many service men on leave. The all male facility had a huge indoor swimming pool, all nude. The steam room was in the locker room next to the open showers......nudity was the way it was. The thought of modesty or privacy wasn't even a consideration. It was very much like being back in the military.........nothing was enclosed, not even the toilets. Urinals were troughs....guys hung out naked and glad to be naked.
what has caused the shift from this openness to now, were most gyms and locker rooms are used only be a few and mostly older guys like me. Left overs from a different era of malebonding.

This post was edited