Arizona or New Mexico for this September.

A vacation plan just fell through and I'm scrambling for an alternative. I'd like to go free hiking in the southwest. I've narrowed it down to Santa Fe, NM, and Sedona, AZ. Which has plenty of space for hiking, without running into a lot of clothed hikers? Which might have group free hiking? Or do you know of any other places better than these two?

This topic was edited
RE:Arizona or New Mexico for this September.

I live in Sedona and it is currently over run with tourists. Not much in the way of privacy. There is a nice clothing optional resort in New River. Shangri-la Ranch is affordable. They have everything from camping to indoor accommodations. Check them on the web. If your hiking in AZ bring lots of water. Our outlaw sunshine has taken down many a hiker. Even in Sept it will be quite warm.

This post was edited

What about SOUTH of the Village of Oak Creek? On Google Earth, I'm seeing a lot of empty land, lots of trees, and no hiking trails. Is it really as empty as it seems, or have a lot of tourists taken the challenge to blaze their own trails (like I plan to do)? And this is for September. What can you project for then?

This post was edited

There are huge tracks of Forest Service/BLM lands all around Sedona which will provide more places for free hiking than you would have time to explore on one vacation. I suggest you look at the Nude Hikers group here on TN and search Arizona. I'm sure you'll find multiple references to hiking around Sedona. Don't be afraid to PM people who have posted there and ask for specifics. As said previously, you should expect it to be hot in September, 90's or even 100. You might check out the area around Flagstaff or Payson. It's a little higher in elevation and cooler, still lots of Forest Service or BLM land. I research using Forest Service maps, Google Earth, National Map Viewer and an Android app US Topo Maps. Like you I stay off the trails for the most part and have no problem finding places to hike cross country. There are lots of unpaved roads in AZ to get you into the remote areas, a 4wd vehicle is handy but not essential. If you go alone make sure someone knows where you are going and when you plan to return.
Good luck.

This post was edited

Thank you. But what about mid-October? What would temperatures and the number of tourists be then? And I also research with Google Earth, which drew my attention to the south of Village of Oak Creek.

This post was edited

Mid-October temperatures may be 85-100, still quite warm. Tourists are here year-round, November-April are the busiest months.

This post was edited

It has become VERY difficult to free hike in Sedona. As mentioned, tourists are frequent and even areas that were remote are now constantly being used. Yes theres plenty of land, Id look for the less favorites trails and plan on hiking early

This post was edited

It has become VERY difficult to free hike in Sedona. As mentioned, tourists are frequent and even areas that were remote are now constantly being used. Yes theres plenty of land, Id look for the less favorites trails and plan on hiking early

This post was edited

Hi
I have some naturist friends that live in a town west of Sedona. Their house is next to BLM land and they have made many different trails out.
Other than that I am going camping camping near Flagstaff, I go free hiking all the time there.

This post was edited

The Sedona trip fell through. Went to Apache Junction instead, which was a total flop.

Next is Santa Fe, in May. What do any of know of nude group hikes or tours in the area? I'm interested in a lot of that area east of the city. How far back do I need to go, to get away from most hikers, so I can safely hike nude?

This post was edited

Try out towards Florence. There is some hiking spots out there and us Nudists happen to enjoy that spot.
As was mentionedbring waterits hot usually always

This post was edited