Pageants and feminism

The main criticism of nudist pageants, and probably the reason why they are not often organised anymore, is that they are a form of exploitation and reduce women to (sex) objects. But is that really the case? Aren't they more like the celebration of the beauty of the naked human body? And is the fact of being confident enough about one's body to show it openly for others to view and appreciate not more a sign of body acceptance, liberation and emancipation? Of women and men, for that matter, as the few nudist pageants that are still held these days usually elect both "misses" and "misters" . It would be nice to get the group members' view on this, especially female members.

This topic was edited
RE:Pageants and feminism

sadly we live in a different world now days and if nudist pageants go on i'm sure they are far and few, back in the 80's they had a somewhat pageant at the camp I belonged to except it was the men on parade and since there was no stage we made two loops around the pool which was the focal point of the camp . I always wondered if putting the men on display was a point the women wanted to make about how women are always put on display or just afternoon fun . It would have been nice if the women would have paraded around the pool also but it neve happened.

This post was edited

I also have seen woman and younger in nudist magazine from back in the day look like they enjoyed being part of pageants and nudist activities.

This post was edited

Yes I agree, if you see pictures of nudist pageants of the 80s and 90s the women who participate in them all seem genuinely happy. There are some pictures and videos of more recent ones circulating on the net, like the ones at Koversada naturist resort in Croatia, and it seems like a lot of fun, the women who participate seem to be really enjoying themselves and seem very empowered.

This post was edited

We went to Koversada around 25 years ago and it just happened to coincide the the Miss Koversada pageant. It really was a big deal with a lot of ladies entering, i think the lower age limit was something like 16, and a huge crowd watched. I don't think any of those who entered felt "objectified", none of them were forced to participate, it was simply just a lot of fun for everyone.

This post was edited

You've said it perfectly. Beauty pageants were a celebration of the female...and male...form, not an objectified. It's unfortunate that the PC crowd has made it a thing of the past.

This post was edited

In the US beauty pageants date back about 100 years and started as a way to extend tourist season in Atlantic City. I see the general American ones as a way of celebrating an idealized picture of standard package WASP feminity - big hair, big white Vaseline-covered teeth, big boobs, etc - but any woman who had an abortion was disqualified. There was nothing edgy or unpredictable such as on a fashion runway, which made them very boring.
Doing a nudist "miss" or "miss with a few misters" for good measure is making a parody of it all. But how do you do a bikini competition? The nudists would have to carry them on stage! I personally would find an all inclusive, all shapes, ages and sizes body painting competion more appealing.

This post was edited

May be some small fun pageant can still happen.

Yes that would be lovely, wouldn't it! I wish someone would organise one.

This post was edited

I was in Cap d'Agde 5-6 years ago and there was a nudist pageants organized. One of the organizer was one of the more active girls one the old pageant movies made in Cap d'Agde. So it still happens, but perhaps more private now.

The main criticism of nudist pageants, and probably the reason why they are not often organised anymore, is that they are a form of exploitation and reduce women to (sex) objects. But is that really the case? Aren't they more like the celebration of the beauty of the naked human body? And is the fact of being confident enough about one's body to show it openly for others to view and appreciate not more a sign of body acceptance, liberation and emancipation? Of women and men, for that matter, as the few nudist pageants that are still held these days usually elect both "misses" and "misters" . It would be nice to get the group members' view on this, especially female members.

This post was edited

Have there been pageants for the guys? There'd by many participants, not so sure about willing judges.

This post was edited

If I went to a place that holding one, I would happily enter it, after all I am at a nudist place and happy to be seen by anyone.

That's the spirit!

This post was edited