RE:Excited Gardening This Year

Deer here as you know have become like nuisance pets you don't want. They wander around like it's no thing. To many deer, car hits and to many deer ticks infecting lime disease. If I had it in me to kill something I could easily tag out from the comfort of my warm bedroom window and not sitting in a cold deer stand at 4am.A garden is a free feeding zone if one does not fend them off in some manner.

We visit a small beach town on our central coast. The deer seem fearless of people and will graze at will on the roadside, hotel lawns and even in town in the village shopping areas. Being city folk, we mentioned how cool it was to see wild life that close by without scaring them off. On pizza shop owner said, "damn deer, they're like rats around here!" I guess he didn't care much for them.

Our nudist friends up in Washington live up in the foothills and have deer roaming their property all the time. They don't care for them either because each time she plants flowers, they come in the night and eat them all. Their dog used to keep the away but he died and they've not wanted to get another. They don't like the deer either. hahaha

This post was edited

Changing the dear subject of deer...

I have great squash plants. There are big leaves and all looks great with lots of flowers. However, I do not get squash fruit...or at least only 1 every 3 or 4 weeks. What am I doing wrong?

This post was edited

Changing the dear subject of deer...I have great squash plants. There are big leaves and all looks great with lots of flowers. However, I do not get squash fruit...or at least only 1 every 3 or 4 weeks. What am I doing wrong?

Could be a pollinator problem or should I say lack of pollinators. In many areas the bee population has been decimated. Use a cotton swab or feather to pollinate the flowers yourself. My mom started doing that with her tomatoes several years ago.

This post was edited

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.

This post was edited

Steve I just saw my best buddy putting up lattice on his top of his 6' privacy fence surrounding his pool deck. I asked why being the simpleton I spose. He and his wife both responded because cars going by could see her boobs. And my retort was ok ya and the problem is ??

This post was edited

Steve I just saw my best buddy putting up lattice on his top of his 6' privacy fence surrounding his pool deck. I asked why being the simpleton I spose. He and his wife both responded because cars going by could see her boobs. And my retort was ok ya and the problem is ??

Of course, the "proper" response is what you said. :) Most cars going by my home are watching the road to see if there is another car just over the hill. The walkers on the road move much slower and could get a good look. Don't think they will care about my boobs! hee-hee

This post was edited

So maybe some hard apple or pear cider could be in your future? I knew a guy that would stop and ask for apples that looked like no one was going to pick them. He had his grandparents apple grinder and cider press, and gramp's knowledge on making cider into hard cider ;-)

This post was edited

Luann is a beast! For both growing and canning. I don't have enough produce to can. I usually just eat what I pick for my next meal.

This post was edited

Never did figure out the squash issue. Only 2 squash all season. Going to buy them at the farmer's market from now on. Tons of tomatoes though.

This post was edited

I agree with you on the squash; our garden produced a few tomatoes, eggplants, a few peppers and lots of worms. But we*ll try again next year.

This post was edited