RE:Tomato

Plus, lower leaves may touch the ground and pick up diseases. Good to prune the yellow leaves.

This post was edited

i'm growing mine in 5 gallon cloth pots what a awesome idea over 5 gallon buckets when watering i get the cloth container wet too not sure if it helps but i see tomatoes' growing and more buds this year than last year. i also seen this suggestion on youtube that the need calcium so someone recommended a Tum for each plant and what do i have to lose . i have about a dozen tomatoes so far.

This post was edited

i'm growing mine in 5 gallon cloth pots what a awesome idea over 5 gallon buckets when watering i get the cloth container wet too not sure if it helps but i see tomatoes' growing and more buds this year than last year. i also seen this suggestion on youtube that the need calcium so someone recommended a Tum for each plant and what do i have to lose . i have about a dozen tomatoes so far.

I have heard of the cloth pots, but not tried them. While they may dry out quicker, the roots have access to oxygen which is said to help the plant a lot.

I used to have problems with blossom end rot. I started saving egg shells, let them dry and then hand crumble them, mix several large handfuls in the soil. This had decent results, but still some rot. I got a small coffee grinder in a free box at a garage sale, so the crumbled eggshell is turned to powder with it. This really works good for the blossom end rot.

This post was edited

cool i'll try the egg shells , don't drink coffee but can ask around. the cloth bags seem to be working i now have some tomatoes. in past i've met folks with tomatoes plants 6 foot tall and big beefsteak tomatoes on them not sure i'll ever get there.

This post was edited

A blender set on purie or similar food processor may work for powdering the egg shells.

This post was edited

If you're using eggshells in your garden, you may want to sterilize it.
Place the cracked eggs in the oven at 200F(93C) for 30 minutes.

You don't want to introduce salmonella, listeria, etc., in your garden or potting soil.

Using a coffee grinder to pulverize eggshells is a good idea.
I use one myself just like Gordy57. I got it from goodwill store for $5.00 (don't drink coffee).

A cracked egg will take over a year to break down in soil.

Powdered/pulverized eggshells, it will take a couple of weeks for the soil to break it
down, release the calcium in it, and make it available for the plants(tomatoes).

If you want to make the calcium from eggshells available immediately, you may want to take it one step further.

www.youtube.com/watch?t=83&v=sU5TXvjsTv8

He explains it very well.

This post was edited

If you're using eggshells in your garden, you may want to sterilize it.Place the cracked eggs in the oven at 200F(93C) for 30 minutes.You don't want to introduce salmonella, listeria, etc., in your garden or potting soil.Using a coffee grinder to pulverize eggshells is a good idea.I use one myself just like Gordy57. I got it from goodwill store for $5.00 (don't drink coffee).A cracked egg will take over a year to break down in soil.Powdered/pulverized eggshells, it will take a couple of weeks for the soil to break itdown, release the calcium in it, and make it available for the plants(tomatoes).If you want to make the calcium from eggshells available immediately, you may want to take it one step further.www.youtube.com/watch?t=83&v=sU5TXvjsTv8He explains it very well.

Thanks for that link. I did not know about the peppers and squash needing some, although I have not had a problem with them I will add some from now on as a preventative measure.

I had heard about dissolving them but for a personal calcium supplement. I may try that for the tomatoes. With the no till layered mulch, when I pull the plants in the fall, I have had found roots at the soil/mulch boundary layer that were 6 and 8 feet long. So it would not hurt to get some farther out than the initial root ball.

This post was edited