new to the area; what time do I have to be there to get a parking spot?

We are finally settled in (in Orlando) and are looking forward to our first trip to Playa Linda next week. I see the gates now open at 6AM. But what time do we have to be there during the week to be able to get a parking spot on lot 13? And in the weekend?

Side question. I like to make long beach walks. Can you walk nude for miles? Seems the beach goes on forever with no access points between Playa Linda and Apollo which at 12 miles is a bit too far for a walk.

This topic was edited
RE:new to the area; what time do I have to be there to get a parking spot?

Playalinda Beach is 4 or 4 1/ 2 miles long, with 13 parking lots and crossovers. Only 13 is officially clothing optional, though nudity has spread to 12 and maybe even further. Other writer is correct, - you have to get there when they open to get a parking spot at 13 on a nice weekend. Weekdays are a bit more accessible, but lot can still fill up. quickly. You need a backpacking pass to make the trek North to Apollo Beach, though I have not seen anyone actually stopped from heading that way and back. Welcome, - and have a great stay!

This post was edited

If you arrive by 8 AM on weekend and 9 AM on weekday you should be able to find a space in lot 13. If you are straight and a walker you might prefer parking in lot 12, which fills up about one later than 13. The nude section of Playalinda starts officially about 50 feet from the end of the ramp at boardwalk 12. This will give you about a one mile walk to the Back Country sign.

Regarding back country. There is some debate about whether you can walk along the mean water line without a permit. I know several barstool lawyers who will argue vehemently that as long as you have one foot in the water the park service cannot stop you. That said it is $5 dollars a day for a backcountry pass and frankly well worth it for the peace of mind that you are not going to be hassled by the NPS. We have never had a NPS officer asks for our day pass information. We have seen them cite/relocate people who have set up beyond the back country sign, but never seen them approach people who were just walking.

This post was edited

What you can do if lot 13 is full is circle around at the end of road and wait by the boardwalk for individuals to be returning back to their cars. I usually will ask if they are in lot 13 as some are in the other lots. Most I've ever waited it 20 min and the least is like 5 min. Those that go all the time know this protocol and they give me the 'inside' scope. Save on the long walk from the other lots.

This post was edited

Welcome! True, Playalinda and Apollo are just different access points to the same beach. Playalinda has sign at north end saying you must have a special pass to go beyond that point. I think the concern is that a 10 or 12 mile walk on a hot beach without the right amount of water, experience or stamina could do you in! Have been to Apollo, but not to extreme southern end, but I'd bet they have the same sign there. Apollo definitely more remote, and only about 25 parking spots, so must arrive early. Playalinda has about 40 spots, but still must arrive early, especially on weekends, - though lot/crossover 12 at Playalinda seems to have become clothing optional as well, - if you are a bit more adventurous. Weekends at Playalinda, the lot is full by 7 or 7:30. Weekdays more dependent on weather. Of course, folks leave throughout the day at both spots, but there are always cars "hovering" for an available spot! Both very nice beaches. Hope you get to enjoy one soon!

This post was edited

Welcome! True, Playalinda and Apollo are just different access points to the same beach.
Thanks Bob for the good information!

This post was edited

The back country pass is partly for your own safety ... it lets park management know who's out there, so they can come find you under certain circumstances. There is NOTHING but 10.5 miles of empty beach between Playalinda and Apollo, including possibly no cel signal. And, we get nasty lightning storms in this part of the state. If you have an ambitious hike planned, my advice is to go ahead and get the pass, and plan to have someone pick you up at the other end. After you've walked 10.5 miles in soft sand, you're probably not going to want to walk back ;)

This post was edited