Dermatologist

About two years ago, I went to a dermatologist to get a skin tag removed from my eyelid. I normally just rip skin tags off, but figured that wouldn't be such a great idea for one that's on my eyelid.

While I'm there, she asks whether she can look at my back. As I'm pulling my t-shirt off, I say, "I'm a nudist; you can look at anything you want."

She says something like, "Well, in that case, you really need to come in for a full body examination."

So, I schedule one. When she comes into the exam room, I'm sitting on the exam table nude. She has a major fit. She has, "comfort level issues with the human body." She actually said that. Insists I put a gown on. Then barely looks under the gown. Honestly, I should have just gotten up and left. Barely did any exam at all. I scheduled an appointment for the next year. It came and went a couple of months ago -- yes, I cancelled it.

Went to a different dermatologist today. Before I scheduled the appointment, I told them I'm a nudist and explained my experience with the previous dermatologist. That all of my skin gets exposed to the sun when I'm outside. I asked whether the dermatologist would be comfortable examining all of my skin. The person scheduling the appointment was a bit incredulous about the idea that a dermatologist would be shy about looking at human skin.

Go to my appointment today. Nurse takes me into the room to get me settled. I describe the situation with the previous dermatologist. The nurse is in disbelief that a dermatologist would behave that way. Or her way out, she says, "I assume you don't want a gown and that you have no problem taking your clothing off. -- Doctor will be in in a minute."

Doctor came in (female) and brought in an assistant (female) and a trainee (female). Did a thorough exam with the two other females right there looking at everything. I'm sitting and standing totally nude. Turning around as needed. Carrying on conversation with the doctor. No big deal. No problem. No gown. No covering of any kind. Just me in the nude.

I had begun to loose faith in the medical community.

This topic was edited
RE:Dermatologist

About two years ago, I went to a dermatologist to get a skin tag removed from my eyelid. I normally just rip skin tags off, but figured that wouldn't be such a great idea for one that's on my eyelid.While I'm there, she asks whether she can look at my back. As I'm pulling my t-shirt off, I say, "I'm a nudist; you can look at anything you want."She says something like, "Well, in that case, you really need to come in for a full body examination."So, I schedule one. When she comes into the exam room, I'm sitting on the exam table nude. She has a major fit. She has, "comfort level issues with the human body." She actually said that. Insists I put a gown on. Then barely looks under the gown. Honestly, I should have just gotten up and left. Barely did any exam at all. I scheduled an appointment for the next year. It came and went a couple of months ago -- yes, I cancelled it.Went to a different dermatologist today. Before I scheduled the appointment, I told them I'm a nudist and explained my experience with the previous dermatologist. That all of my skin gets exposed to the sun when I'm outside. I asked whether the dermatologist would be comfortable examining all of my skin. The person scheduling the appointment was a bit incredulous about the idea that a dermatologist would be shy about looking at human skin.Go to my appointment today. Nurse takes me into the room to get me settled. I describe the situation with the previous dermatologist. The nurse is in disbelief that a dermatologist would behave that way. Or her way out, she says, "I assume you don't want a gown and that you have no problem taking your clothing off. -- Doctor will be in in a minute."Doctor came in (female) and brought in an assistant (female) and a trainee (female). Did a thorough exam with the two other females right there looking at everything. I'm sitting and standing totally nude. Turning around as needed. Carrying on conversation with the doctor. No big deal. No problem. No gown. No covering of any kind. Just me in the nude.I had begun to loose faith in the medical community.
My dermatologist has me undress to my boxer shorts then just pulls the waist band away from me and peeks down, then lifts the leg openings up to see more.

This post was edited

If you sign up for a full body exam with a dermatologist that is exactly what you should be getting. The Dermatologist whether man or woman will make certain they check out all the usual and sometime other area of your body, e.g., under your scrotum, spread your ass and look in the crack, check out the penis and testicles, the back of the neck and head etc.,, leaving little to the imagination. I know, I am an MD and I require my dermatologist to do all of that. We physicians are used to nude bodies, we know what is normal and what is not. You have a healthy patient attitude. You could be my patient anytime. Wish there were more of you so I don't waste time asking them to take this off or that off.
TCC

This post was edited

You could be my patient anytime. Wish there were more of you so I don't waste time asking them to take this off or that off.

I recently changed PCPs. He's totally ok with patient nudity -- total non-issue.

It's a change for the better. I went about five years looking for a doctor that didn't freak out about nudity. I started being nude for physical exams when I was 25. Didn't have a problem with it until about five years ago when my PCP quit private practice to work at a nursing home. That was several doctors in three states who had absolutely no problem with nudity and then suddenly every doctor I go to freaks out about it.

This post was edited

I've had a few skin cancers removed successfully, so I have regular annual or semi-annual full-body checks with my dermatologist. When I first started seeing him, his assistant gave me a gown and instructed me to undress to my underwear. The dermatologist would come in, pull down the gown (which would sort of fall off, anyway), do the exams, then pull the waistband of my underwear to examine my buttocks and genitals. My last appointment was a week ago. This time, the assistant left me with a gown and instructed me to strip completely, including underwear. The doctor did the usual exam, but without having to pull the waistband of my underwear open to complete the examination. I thought this was a lot smarter, but have no idea what initiated the change.

This post was edited

I thought this was a lot smarter, but have no idea what initiated the change.

I don't know whether things are really shifting back to an acceptance of patient nudity in the medical examination room or whether I've just found doctors who never had a problem with it.

The first that I encountered medical professions with issues regarding patient nudity was about five years ago. Before that, it was never an issue. Back in the 70s, I had a female GP tell me it was just so much chopped liver. By the time she'd completed medical school and her internship, she'd seen so many naked bodies that it was a total non-issue.

I hope there really has been a turn around in this regard -- back to sanity.

This post was edited

I have a full body skin check every year. male doctor and he has me nude for the entire exam, never even offers a gown, also request body be completely shaven so he can see everything

This post was edited

I've had a few skin cancers removed successfully, so I have regular annual or semi-annual full-body checks with my dermatologist. When I first started seeing him, his assistant gave me a gown and instructed me to undress to my underwear. The dermatologist would come in, pull down the gown (which would sort of fall off, anyway), do the exams, then pull the waistband of my underwear to examine my buttocks and genitals. My last appointment was a week ago. This time, the assistant left me with a gown and instructed me to strip completely, including underwear. The doctor did the usual exam, but without having to pull the waistband of my underwear open to complete the examination. I thought this was a lot smarter, but have no idea what initiated the change.

My doctor is in the leave the underwear on and pulls it down and or out the see what is inside. Not my choice, but I like him otherwise and it is difficult to find an in network dermatologist who is accepting new patients. I have told him more that once that I get sun where most people don't, but he hasn't changed his procedure.

This post was edited

I have to think that someone has put the fear of the law in their hearts. That prudish squeamish patients have been reporting doctors for doing what doctors are supposed to do. Or they've been told apocryphal stories about such things. My guess is that some of these doctors are going to miss something that they should have seen and someone really is going to get sued and the tide will change. Maybe they'll insist on having a chaperone in the room (which makes no difference to me), but they'll go back to doing proper exams.
My doctor is in the leave the underwear on and pulls it down and or out the see what is inside. Not my choice, but I like him otherwise and it is difficult to find an in network dermatologist who is accepting new patients. I have told him more that once that I get sun where most people don't, but he hasn't changed his procedure.

This post was edited

I have to think that someone has put the fear of the law in their hearts. That prudish squeamish patients have been reporting doctors for doing what doctors are supposed to do. Or they've been told apocryphal stories about such things. My guess is that some of these doctors are going to miss something that they should have seen and someone really is going to get sued and the tide will change. Maybe they'll insist on having a chaperone in the room (which makes no difference to me), but they'll go back to doing proper exams.My doctor is in the leave the underwear on and pulls it down and or out the see what is inside. Not my choice, but I like him otherwise and it is difficult to find an in network dermatologist who is accepting new patients. I have told him more that once that I get sun where most people don't, but he hasn't changed his procedure.

My dermatologist usually has an assistant in the room during the exam.
Both of them are female, so perhaps he doesn't want them to see naked men.

This post was edited

I went for my annual skin check today. A younger Dr. saw me first. Obviously in training, but very thorough. He asked me to stop to my underwear, when I hesitated taking my trousers off, he said them too, to which I replied that I dont wear underwear, Id that a problem? His answer: its not a problem for me if its not a problem for you. Ok, so Im totally naked for the exam. He even remarked that I have a mole on my penis and checked it too. Then he gave me a disposable gown while I waited for the senior Dr. The senior guy is very professional, but prefers me to cover my genitals when he does the check. To avoid offending him I do. I guess he knows the junior has checked there already and hasnt found anything of concern. I do sometimes wonder that if I did wear undies, if they would check as closely.

This post was edited