The law in Illinois

In Illinois it is not generally a violation to be nude in public. BUT, every locality had an ordinance some how limiting or banning public nudity and, the catchall violation is Disorderly Conduct. For example, the beaches in Chicago are subject to a local city ordinances banning public nudity. It is a fine only offence but refuse to comply and get ready for a trip to the station. Indecent exposure state law has a an element of he offense, lewd conduct for sexual arousal or gratification. So unless you are doing somethin which is obviously sexual, you are not in violation. Remember, police can still ask you to cover up, and unless you are willing to challenge them in court you should obey. Illinois State Beach used to tolerate nudity however they now have a local rule banning nudity.

This topic was edited
RE:The law in Illinois

Much the same in California. There are laws against "lewd and lascivious behavior," but interpretation is left to the people who may or may not want to enforce it. Some consider any display of nudity to be an infraction, others don't, but there is no law protecting non-sexual nudity.

This post was edited

In Illinois it is not generally a violation to be nude in public. BUT, every locality had an ordinance some how limiting or banning public nudity and, the catchall violation is Disorderly Conduct. For example, the beaches in Chicago are subject to a local city ordinances banning public nudity.

A friend who lives by Hollywood Beach in Chicago tells me that nude sunbathing there is common, but only between 10 AM and 2 PM on weekdays when school is in session. The concern seems to be that school age kids don't see any naked adults, otherwise people don't care. And it's not just nude sunbathing, but also walking to the water and taking a dip in Lake Michigan. No sexual behavior however. That seems to be the local unwritten laws.

This post was edited

What is the most loyal place in the US in terms of nudity? Is any place where you can feel safe and free? I mean in your propery or at some park, forest, or hiking trail?

This post was edited

What is the most loyal place in the US in terms of nudity? Is any place where you can feel safe and free? I mean in your propery or at some park, forest, or hiking trail?

Laws in the US are complicated and can exist at the national, state and local level. Many are enforced at the discretion of the authorities who would treat, for example, a lone naked hiker differently than an orgy near a Bible camp. This makes it difficult to feel safe and free without knowing the area well.

This post was edited

i bet if anyone looked up the laws in South Dakota , it would scare them halfway into tomorrow ! Typical Repukian's conservative state,

This post was edited

Not that it affects me, but I wonder if those laws in Kentucky you posted could be overturned as discriminatory since they clearly state that its regarding males through the use of the words his and he.

This post was edited

I don't think so. In legalese, "he" or "him" can refer to either sex. It's what my old English teacher said: "The masculine embraces the feminine."

This post was edited

Illinois Beach SP used to be a good place for being nude on the beach or naked walks in the woods, especially south of the conservation area boundary marker. The Rangers enforced the no nudity pretty regularly and first timers got a verbal cover up warning and they took down your info. Second time it was a trip to the Zion or Winthrop Harbor PD to pay your fine for indecent exposure. Didn't want the third time because that was citation and court date for lewd and lascivious, bigger fine and/or a few months in the Lake County lockup.

Cook County Forest Preserve District usually went for the lewd and lascivious right away with the hand cuffs and whole big deal. Never had to deal with that but knew several guys who did. They got caught up in sting operations for cruising, not just a pleasant nature walk alone in the woods.

I lived next to the woods and had no problems going for daily nude walks early in the morning or late at night for many years. Its all timing and how much textile foot traffic to expect and know your way around so not to get lost. I just had to be careful if I crossed the bike trail to get all the way down to the river. Did it a few times but always in the summer under cover of heavy undergrowth and full leaves on the trees.

Otherwise some public places have caretakers that have their own interpretation of the law, one cemetery worker chased me out as far as the forest preserve on foot and threaten to call the Police while another time a different guy just waved and kept going past in his pickup truck.

This post was edited

I think I still have to learn the area more. The land behind the house has a great opportunity to start a walk through to the neighborhood. The homes are away from the road so maybe no cameras. Then a trail to a major road. But I have heard of the cougar citing closer to the mtn. And those stupid rattlesnakes are worrying me at night. But I am starting a plan that should work. It may get a good hike going at night.

This post was edited

The cougar was seen south of me a few weeks ago by the canyon road. I worry about snakes and scorpions too at night, was thinking about a head lamp rather than carry a flashlight. The disc golf course is open late and the back nine behind the substation is perfect for strip frisbee, can't be seen from the road.

This post was edited