Polygamy or polyandry - a better fit for you?

Would you rather be a husband with multiple wives, or a be a husband who shares his wife with other husbands? Note - I said other husbands, not men. The role reversal of polygamy.
Now state your reasoning.
Thanks.

This topic was edited
RE:Polygamy or polyandry - a better fit for you?

I would rather have the system that is used throughout most of the world, and has been in use for thousands of years, one man and one woman. It may not be perfect, but nothing else is either.

This post was edited

roffdusen wrote:

Would you rather be a husband with multiple wives, or a be a husband who shares his wife with other husbands? Note - I said other husbands, not men. The role reversal of polygamy.Now state your reasoning.Thanks.

You're not using those terms properly. "Polygamy" means either multiple husbands or multiple wives. In Judeo-Christian and Islamic culture, it is often conflated with "polygyny," which is "one husband and many wives." but it could refer to either arrangement.
One wife and many husbands is "polyandry," as you said.

IMO, it's up to the people involved to see what works for them. The "one husband, one wife" situation is easiest to deal with legally, since it simplifies things like inheritance. But in cultures with different legal systems, you'll see those other set-ups. and they worked well for thousands of years before the Christian missionaries showed up.

This post was edited

Neither.. Both sounds like too much drama involved. Reminds me of a character on one of the Star Trek series. Each husband has 3 wives and each wife had 3 husbands,

This post was edited

Thanks for correction on polygamy. The tendency throughout history has been 1 man with multiple wives, but polyandry could surge in this enlightened age. Monogamy hasn't been all that successful of late.
The "men" thing just made it easier to explain. Honestly I'd rather hear female opinion on this, but they seem in short supply.
Keep it coming, people.

This post was edited

I could only pay off one ex at a time so I personally will stick to one at a time. :D

This post was edited

Would any of you men consider sharing a wife? ie. some other guy(s) to share the load. Any discussion so far has been focused on polygyny ie. 1 man with multiple wives.
But what about the opposite of that? Polyandry. History is full of polygyny, but not polyandry.
The reality TV show mentioned is sister wives. You won't find a show brother husbands.
Would/could your wife go for another man around the house? How would she react to that marriage scenario?

This post was edited

She says that the pain in the ass that she married is too much sometimes. I doubt that she'd want another one.

This post was edited

The reason that polygyny and monogamy were fixed in our culture was basically a legal convenience regarding inheritance. Men were the only ones with real rights to property and such, and a father wanted to be sure that those kids were his before handing down his estate. With polyandry, you didn't have that "guarantee" since any of the woman's husbands could be the sperm donor. (I qualify the term "guarantee" because it was entirely possible for unfaithful wives to get pregnant, but there were severe penalties for getting caught at it.)

In other indigenous cultures, notably native North American and Polynesian ones, the whole notion of inheritable property was a non-starter, so it didn't matter whose kids they were. Polyandry was therefore a reasonable form of polygamy.

This post was edited

Still no women wading in on this. Wouldn't polyandry (1 wife, multi husbands) be an attractive proposition for most women.....your wife for example. Why don't you ask her.
I mean, what woman wouldn't want many husbands who bring different skill sets to the table.
Thoughts anyone?

This post was edited

Still no women wading in on this. Wouldn't polyandry (1 wife, multi husbands) be an attractive proposition for most women.....your wife for example. Why don't you ask her.I mean, what woman wouldn't want many husbands who bring different skill sets to the table.Thoughts anyone?

See my answer above. We joke about being a pain to each other but there is a certain amount of truth to it too. I love her and she loves me, but am not certain that either of us would marry again. Loving someone is a lot different than living with them and age brings on more tolerance for some things and less for others.

This post was edited