How our clothes cause water pollution?

How our clothes cause water pollution? Please share your thoughts here.

This topic was edited
RE:How our clothes cause water pollution?

First, share yours. That's the way these forums usually work.

This post was edited

As a response, how about how bird droppings cause water pollution? And, yes, that was a real case with a real required DNR response. Lets not go off the deep end on washing clothes.

This post was edited

Clothes don't cause water pollution. If they stay folded up in the drawer or are hanging in the closet, they are not causing ANY pollution. it is PEOPLE who are responsible for causing the pollution when they decide to wash the clothes in detergents. So don't wear clothes and contribute to the problem.

This post was edited

They cause pollution in hot tubs with the laundry detergents and softeners from the clothing. If you haven't maintained a hot tub it might be a mystery but it's true. No one wants to climb in a tub that isn't pristine clean and feels good. Nothing like seeing a sheen on top of the water and when one does get in it has a oily feeling.

HA! My buddy just got a brand new tub and we rolled over to there place to do some hot tubbing. Within minutes of the jets being turned a bubble the size of a baseball formed floating around. So far he has been invaded by the grandkids in clothing and a wife wearing lotion. :D

This post was edited

Fibers from plastic clothes - polyester, nylon - are present in water nearly everywhere, because sewage treatment doesn't deal with the tiny fibers released in washing machines. Natural fibers decompose, as part of the sewage being treated, and don't pollute in the same way.

This post was edited

Laundry suds, micro plastics, and textile mills are all harmful to the environment and I do my part to help by going naked and barefoot as often as I can while also being respectful to nature in this form.

This post was edited

Being microplastics was brought up. I heard a radio report on a new study, microplastics are everywhere. In the food we eat, the milk we drink, even the newborn baby fresh out of mom's belly. Yes that fresh steak you are grilling has plastic inside of it, and so do the veggies on the side.
If you hunt, fish or have a home grown garden, they are also contaminated.

This post was edited

This is a little off-topic, but if you want a real challenge, try to go a day without touching any plastic. On topic, having worked in the water quality business much of my life I can tell you an easy way to see if a water body is impacted by domestic wastewater is to look for optical brighteners from detergents. So yeah, every time you do a load of laundry, you are potentially polluting the water. Thus, another reason to feel good about being naked.

This post was edited

Clothes don't cause water pollution. If they stay folded up in the drawer or are hanging in the closet, they are not causing ANY pollution. it is PEOPLE who are responsible for causing the pollution when they decide to wash the clothes in detergents. So don't wear clothes and contribute to the problem.

True, but they they still caused air pollution when they were manufactured. So only buy the absolute minimum that you need.

This post was edited

Just a little factoid. it takes roughly 90 gallons of water to make a pair of jeans, start to finish. As to the bird droppings, if anyone lived in western Washington near Tacoma, they probably have driven through "Nalley Valley", so named because of the potato chip factory that was there. They had these (guessing) 20,000 gallon tanks of water for the process that were uncovered for decades and I believe it was the late 60's when the finally covered them up to keep the seagulls out. There was a strong consensus that special flavor of a Nalley's potato chip changed and not for the good. Just saying.

This post was edited