Thieves have struck!!!!

We own a '04 Winnebago Sightseerer 30B, V10 on a F550 chassis. It's stored at a storage facility not far from home. We were supposed to go on a short weeklong trip with textile friends, this past Monday. On Thursday of last week, I got a call from the owner of the storage lot that the fence at the storage lot was breached, and 5 motorhome catalytic converters were stolen, one of them being ours!

Long story short, trip canceled, insurance called, repair shop notified, and we were out $250 deductible for a $2200 cat!!! Got the coach back this afternoon and ready to go. But now, we are going by ourselves and going someplace and get naked! ;DD

This topic was edited
RE:Thieves have struck!!!!

Sorry to hear Andy. What a hassle and disappointment when looking forward to taking a trip with friends.

This post was edited

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation. I can say that I understand your situation, my company has had many lost dollars from the same issues on many of our vehicles.

This post was edited

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that we're now a bit nervous about parking our motorhome out front of our house overnight. I know we can't keep watch over it 24/7/365 but this theft has me concerned about repeat thefts of this cat. These people are bold and strike at the craziest times and locations. Good thing we have great insurance!

This post was edited

Andy, if it helps, I have seen enough posts about this in my neighborhood to know that some shops are installed metal cages over the converters now to protect from theft, it is just that common. May be worth an ask. may be a bit extra $$, but might be worth looking info for peace of mind.

This post was edited

Andy, if it helps, I have seen enough posts about this in my neighborhood to know that some shops are installed metal cages over the converters now to protect from theft, it is just that common. May be worth an ask. may be a bit extra $$, but might be worth looking info for peace of mind.

I wondered about this but have already picked up the coach and taken it back to the storage yard. The owner of the storage place is making some changes to where our make of motorhomes are being stored. Apparently, they are targeting Ford products at this time. Glad we have great insurance. If it happens again, I'll be sure to look into it. I would have if I didn't already pick it up and take it back but maybe I'll call the muffler place and ask about it tomorrow. Thanks!!

This post was edited

So sorry you had this experience. Our town in Utah had a group targeting anything that they could slide under quickly cut the cat out and split. they finally caught them. . don't know if they still make them, but I recall years ago they made proximity alarms for vehicles. if you got too close, didn't even touch the vehicle it went off..

This post was edited

dznycple:

sunnylanaturists;
So sorry you had this experience. Our town in Utah had a group targeting anything that they could slide under quickly cut the cat out and split. they finally caught them. . don't know if they still make them, but I recall years ago they made proximity alarms for vehicles. if you got too close, didn't even touch the vehicle it went off..

So far, so good. The motorhome is back in storage and in a more secure spot, we hope!

After dznycpl posted this reply about anti-theft measures, I went on a search and found a few deterrents. If this happens again, we'll for sure get one of them. Our coach is an older RV, 2004. Two years ago, we had the roof peel off and our insurance paid for a new roof (12,000). Now, a 2000-dollar catalytic converter, not sure when our insurance is going to throw in the towel on spending all that money on such an old RV. Looks a lot newer than '04 because we keep it up. It's only got 24,000 miles on it. Tells me one thing for sure, we need to get out MORE often! ;DD

This post was edited

Maybe hook up a hot wire to the CC.
Just be careful
Just sayin.

This post was edited

I just watched a piece on the evening news about this. Apparently some of the thieves are reselling them on Craigslist, etc. while others are loading them into containers and shipping them out of the country to remove the platinum used as the catalyst inside them. Platinum is way more valuable per ounce than gold.

This post was edited

Andy & Di,
We had an issue with a neighbor and we live in a gated community, the Mesa Police recommend this simple alarm as being highly effective and not expensive. May want to investigate. Sorry, you had this happen it truly sucks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384613531244?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=384613531244&targetid=1264870804704&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1013445&poi=&campaignid=13917910984&mkgroupid=125280110815&rlsatarget=pla-1264870804704&abcid=9300614&merchantid=6296724&gclid=cj0kcqiaip-pbhdvarisapp2xc0tvi6b1a4f_qpyhhlqhigpbahd9ppdi5oxfhrnjxlvzcwns2hex-8aauodealw_wcb

This post was edited