Can I be nude in my garden?

I have a side, rear and front gardens and the rear and side gardens are fenced off with a six feet fence. I was told by the council this is the legal maximm height that can be used. Houses are now built on top of each other, so close that you need to go on a serious diet and walk sideways to walk down the sides of the houses your neighbours occupy.

During the hot summer days I had a few days for short spells of time when I was in the garden naked. One of my neighbours unknown to me must have seen me and took offence at nudism. Some weeks later the police arrived and arrested me for indecent exposure, on my own private land?

Two days later I was released and the charges dropped. This does not instill confidence in me. Another few days past and the gossip has gone round the neighbours and one guy stopped in his van at the front of my house threatening me calling me a dirty bastard and I should go outside to him.

I have carried out some research about nudism and naturism and a police UK document advises that it is not illegal to be naked in public places etc, however the public need some protection from us? Arh no, we need the protection from them, they the public are wild animals untamed and abusive just like some of the police force.

So I have written to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in the UK asking then for advice on neighbours and their attitudes towards nudism and naturism. I've pointed out that I don't think it should be legal for any person to use hand held recording devices and point those devices directly at any nude person. I feel that it should be treated the same as an adult person taking photos of minors and passing them on around the internet.

Views would be appreciated on this...

This topic was edited
RE:Can I be nude in my garden?

Hi David,

First of all, I would strongly suggest that you join British Naturism. One of the benefits of membership is free support from their legal team.

Your charge will have been dropped because "Indecent Exposure" does not exist as a crime and has not for a long time.

Have a look at https://www.bn.org.uk/policing/ which has all the information you need.

Public nudity is legal in the UK, and there is nothing to stop you walking out on your street and going for a stroll. In fact there are groups around the UK that go naked hiking. Sherwood Forest sees this almost on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, society isn't quite so liberal, and as you've found some people take offence. This still does not mean you have committed an offence. The Collage of Policing and the CPS both have guidelines stating this, but unfortunately some police officers choose to ignore this and will attempt to force you to stop. This is where the legal team comes in.

This post was edited

I would be interested to hear what they say about recording devices.

Everyone has a right to privacy, but anything that can be seen from a public position is not generally considered private. This means that if your neighbour wishes to video you, I believe he can.
I don't think it should be legal for any person to use hand held recording devices and point those devices directly at any nude person. I feel that it should be treated the same as an adult person taking photos of minors and passing them on around the internet.

This is a double edged sword. The aim is that we want the general public to not distinguish between clothed and naked people. To allow naked people to carry on with their lives unrestricted. To do this we need to prove that there is no difference. To then ask for special protection would then go against that argument

This post was edited

I would be interested to hear what they say about recording devices.Everyone has a right to privacy, but anything that can be seen from a public position is not generally considered private. This means that if your neighbour wishes to video you, I believe he can.

Question: Would someone's private house be considered a public position? That position is not available to the public, just to the homeowner and friends.

This post was edited

The BN leaflet regarding this:
Please feel free tol save and print this document

This post was edited

I would wonder if you were also subject to wrongful arrest and subject to compensation for deformation of character caused by that wrongful arrest.

No idea of the law, but it does seem to me you should be able to get something

This post was edited

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/nudity-public-guidance-handling-cases-naturism

This post was edited