Kayak accessories

What kind of accessories do you all have for you kayak. Wondering about waterproof storage bags and the like.

This topic was edited
RE:Kayak accessories

PFD, waterproof bag, paddle leash, and for sit-in kayaks a de-watering hand pump with flotation. Oh, and a good sized water bottle. Sunscreen and a broad brim hat. Sunlight reflecting off the water can toast places that normally dont get much sun.

This post was edited

I dont have much in the way of accessories. I have waterproof bags of various sizes that I use depending on what Im doing. Bungee cords and a stretchy mesh tie down I use over them. I attached extra tie down points on my kayak since I often paddle out with camping gear for a few days. Life vest, whistle, small cooler and thats about it.

Dont have a paddle leash but probably should.

This post was edited

I'm pretty minimalist. Usually on board is a life vest, my swimsuit and me holding the untethered paddle with a call on my head. I usually don't even bother with a water bottle, as I don't go too far. My kayak is old enough that it doesn't have storage compartments, just straps with quick-release clips. It's fine for my purposes.

This post was edited

I'm pretty minimalist. Usually on board is a life vest, my swimsuit and me holding the untethered paddle with a call on my head. I usually don't even bother with a water bottle, as I don't go too far. My kayak is old enough that it doesn't have storage compartments, just straps with quick-release clips. It's fine for my purposes.

Is the swimsuit worn or just brought in case you need it?

This post was edited

life jacket, small cooler , paddle , fishing pole i try to keep things as bare as i can including me if i can . depending where i paddle depends what i wear but if i go for a nude paddle i leave my clothes in the car other than a speedo i can slip off easily , a towel, the paddle, life jacket and the small cooler. i switched from a sit in kayak to a sit on although easier for me to get on being nude is limited unlike the sit in was.

This post was edited

By Minimalist 75:

Is the swimsuit worn or just brought in case you need it?

Not once I'm safely underway (clear of others, if any) or earlier if I can get away with it. When returning, it's the opposite, especially as there's always someone around on my return, so I judge how far I can safely go towards the shore before the inevitable. I did better than that earlier in the week, but am yet to find time to post the story.

This post was edited

Accessories can cover a multitude of things. I'm not going to list everything that I might carry like water, hat, etc and just stick to things that are either attached to the kayak or purchased solely to support it.

Support items:

Strap on wheels for when I need to move it to/from the truck/water and it is too far to carry. The wheels stay in the truck while I am paddling.
Bed extender that mounts on the truck's trailer hitch that allows me to transport the kayak in the pickup bed.
Zip up cover to protect the kayak from UV rays when not in use
Collapsible "sawhorse" style supports to keep the kayak off the ground while not in use.

Attached items:

Small dry box to hold phone and billfold while paddling.
Anchor and anchor trolley on starboard side to use while fishing in current
Paddle leash
Elastic fishing rod holder on port side of hull.
Mount on bow for a GoPro camera
Railblaza mount forward of the cockpit (sit in style kayak) which can hold GPS etc
Sonar transducer mount on floor for fish finder
Bungee secured storage area on forward deck
Bungee type net to cover rear cargo bay
360 degree light on pole that slips into rod holder for night paddling.

I do carry personal items such as PFD, whisle, strobe light, etc. After reading the comments above I think I will add some type of bailing device, either pump or container.

This post was edited

Thanks for all the suggestions folks

This post was edited

Has anyone used a hoist to hang their kayak from the rafters? I need a solution of this kind but would like to hear of others' experiences. Will probably end up getting one of some sort off eBay.

This post was edited
RE:Kayak accessories - Slings and Racks

If you have clear space overhead (not in the path of the garage door when open), you can rig your own system of lines, pulleys, slings, and cleats. I did that for a long roof-top box years ago.

For commercial stuff Malone is a good place to look for items at a better price than Thule or Yakima.

Lift systems and slings:
https://maloneautoracks.com/Ceiling/

I have the YakSwing folding system on the end wall of my garage for my 12 1/2' Hurricane:
https://maloneautoracks.com/Wall/

This post was edited