RE:Men's Essentials?

I had two suits. They had hung, unworn, in the closet for years. Gave them to a thrift store.

Was this part of your recent wardrobe reduction in preparation for your move or did you do it a while ago?

This post was edited

I still have to wear suits on a regular basis for my work. However, I decided quite a few years ago not to wear underwear any longer, no matter what. Now, even with a suit or dress pants, I go without underwear. It is not, for me at least, an essential item. I hate the restriction of wearing them more than any chafing from not wearing them.

This post was edited

Very few people, if any at all, in your profession could get away with not wearing a suit.I still have to wear suits on a regular basis for my work. However, I decided quite a few years ago not to wear underwear any longer, no matter what. Now, even with a suit or dress pants, I go without underwear. It is not, for me at least, an essential item. I hate the restriction of wearing them more than any chafing from not wearing them.When I wore suits, I had silk boxers.

Be sure they are large enough to not bind and they are very much like not wearing anything at all. Silk is well very silky. Absolutely no chaffing.

This post was edited

Very few people, if any at all, in your profession could get away with not wearing a suit.I still have to wear suits on a regular basis for my work. However, I decided quite a few years ago not to wear underwear any longer, no matter what. Now, even with a suit or dress pants, I go without underwear. It is not, for me at least, an essential item. I hate the restriction of wearing them more than any chafing from not wearing them.When I wore suits, I had silk boxers.Be sure they are large enough to not bind and they are very much like not wearing anything at all. Silk is well very silky. Absolutely no chaffing.

My son worked in office support for a law firm for several years. Dress code for the attorneys was business casual on days they were not in court or seeing clients. Jeans were permitted on Fridays under the same conditions.
I worked for an insurance company that employed several attorneys. Dress code when I left was business casual about 1/3 of the time and traditional business about 2/3 for everyone. A month after I retired, they went to full business casual for the summer and made it permanent the following September.

This post was edited

Went to a department store that I hadn't been to in a long time today. There was a large area in the women's department labeled sleepwear. On the men's side, there was a very small section labeled loungewear. I guess they know what men wear it for. Most of the area was occupied with flannel pants at 80% off. I guess they didn't sell well even for lounging. I saw a few shorts but no shirts. Seems to me that men who shop here must wear nothing or underwear for sleeping and a few of them may add pants or shorts for lounging.

This post was edited

I did it a while back -- went through anything and gave most of it to a thrift store.

This post was edited

I did it a while back -- went through anything and gave most of it to a thrift store.
Off topic, but do you have a date for moving to Oregon yet?

This post was edited

Unfortunately, no.

This post was edited

Interesting, and I agree I'm old enough to remember having a single suit that didn't get cleaned much. Still have few and they don't get cleaned much as I only use for special occasions. Hadn't thought about the underwear connection though. I also remember a great uncle continued tow ear removable starch collars until he passed in the 60's

This post was edited

Interesting, and I agree I'm old enough to remember having a single suit that didn't get cleaned much. Still have few and they don't get cleaned much as I only use for special occasions. Hadn't thought about the underwear connection though. I also remember a great uncle continued tow ear removable starch collars until he passed in the 60's

Two reasons for wearing underwear with a suit.
Most of them contain wool and are itchy.
Most need to be dry cleaned. so they are not cleaned as often as clothing that can be washed.

This post was edited