Trolls

And now we have a whole new problem. We have trolls amongst us hiding behind a noble cause. Seems to be 4 of them. They could all be the same person for all I know. Circular arguments, hijacking other topics for the sole purpose of stalking another member etc. I have written teamtrue about them but it still continues.
For those who don't know what a troll is:
From Wikipedia
A troll is a person who posts inflammatory, insincere, digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), a newsgroup, forum, chat room, online video game, or blog), with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses, or manipulating others' perception. This is typically for the troll's amusement, or to achieve a specific result such as disrupting a rival's online activities or manipulating a political process. Even so, Internet trolling can also be defined as purposefully causing confusion or harm to other users online, for no reason at all.
I guess the best cause of action would be to ignore them and sooner or later they will get bored with it and move on to something else.

This topic was edited
RE:Trolls

I would not call it a NEW problem, in 3 years here I have run across a number of them. And reading 10 year old posts, shows they have been here for quite awhile. You can't punch them in the nose like you might when face to face with a bully, but you can use the blocking and flagging function against them.

This post was edited

I would not call it a NEW problem, in 3 years here I have run across a number of them. And reading 10 year old posts, shows they have been here for quite awhile. You can't punch them in the nose like you might when face to face with a bully, but you can use the blocking and flagging function against them.

Precisely!

This post was edited

That's true.. It's not a new problem however it has been a while since we, or at least I, have seen it here so blatantly.

This post was edited

IMHO It's a problem which has existed in mankind ever since speech was invented and is endemic throughout the internet.
My experience is it is slightly less prevalent on this site than elsewhere, but that there are other sorts of unwanted poster who more than make up for it.

This post was edited

I new enough here that I'm just learning the difference. Best advice I've gotten from one of you here was, take the good with the bad, and, just a quick block then continue. You're right though, very annoying.

This post was edited

. We have trolls amongst us hiding behind a noble cause.

And there are some that don't bother to hide, they join interest groups while professing beliefs in their profiles that are totally opposite of those (implied) beliefs of the group.

This post was edited