Adult Masculinity

Our physical bodies have several indicators that allow other people to know things about us at first glance. The markers that tend to be least socially acceptable are those that indicate adult masculinity.

The most male/masculine/manly attributes of an adult male's body are his cock and balls. These are also the most shameful and inappropriate parts -- according to our society. Yet, in our natural state they are nearly always in clear evidence -- even from behind.

The next strongest indicator of adult masculinity is facial hair. Except in rare situations, neither boys nor females have facial hair -- only adult males. Yet, men who feminize/juvenilize their faces (shave) are better accepted in society.

Although presidents used to routinely have full facial hair, who was the last president to even have a mustache?It was William Howard Taft (1913) -- discounting Truman's brief mustache and goatee.

Masculine men are less acceptable in society than feminized men. Men with facial hair are generally considered wild, untamed, non-conforming, rebellious, less healthy, aggressive, masculine.

Personally, I reject being feminized and juvenilized.

This topic was edited
RE:Adult Masculinity

I will say that having a mustache to me was a big accomplishment and I was proud of it. Now that i've taken to keeping a beard has given me another aspect to my life and manhood. I first did the goatee for a few years then did the 'clean look' but missed that male look that I felt having even the goatee. Covid hit and it gave me an excuse to grow a beard, plus my work change their policies in regards to work image. Now two years on, granted I did trip the beard at first to keep it within the mask, I then changed that idea that I could per say be a rebel and have my beard outside the mask. Now I'm not sure how long I will let it go. I've been told that I'm going for that 'zz top' look. Have considered tying it. I also found something interesting that I get a look from another bearded guy that is like acknowledging the beard. I also find myself admiring other guys beards. It's like been in a unique club that not all are in and that not all can do or choose to do.

This post was edited

Our physical bodies have several indicators that allow other people to know things about us at first glance. The markers that tend to be least socially acceptable are those that indicate adult masculinity.The most male/masculine/manly attributes of an adult male's body are his cock and balls. These are also the most shameful and inappropriate parts -- according to our society. Yet, in our natural state they are nearly always in clear evidence -- even from behind.The next strongest indicator of adult masculinity is facial hair. Except in rare situations, neither boys nor females have facial hair -- only adult males. Yet, men who feminize/juvenilize their faces (shave) are better accepted in society.Although presidents used to routinely have full facial hair, who was the last president to even have a mustache?It was William Howard Taft (1913) -- discounting Truman's brief mustache and goatee.Masculine men are less acceptable in society than feminized men. Men with facial hair are generally considered wild, untamed, non-conforming, rebellious, less healthy, aggressive, masculine.Personally, I reject being feminized and juvenilized.

I often have straight men and women at the university where I work accuse me of homophobia or misogyny because they react so viscerally to the way I look and not what I do and say. I tend to intimidate people without trying in this setting, and because I grew up feeling the effects of these socially repressive ideologies, I don't address or accept the judgement of others for who I am just as is, and I go on being me, I have never been accepted in society and have tried to kow tow to the whims of a marketed and maintained majority but now I am just me, and if that is wild untamed and dangrous then so be it. I don't fit in and I am ok with that. This is better.

This post was edited

I have never fit it.I don't fit in and I am ok with that. This is better.I'm ok with that. I would much rather be who I am than cave to marketing and peer pressure to be something else.

This post was edited

I have never fit it.I don't fit in and I am ok with that. This is better.I'm ok with that. I would much rather be who I am than cave to marketing and peer pressure to be something else.

I tried and failed a few times but I am genuinely proud of the man I am today and nothing will change that. I don't have many peers but they won't try to make me change for them either, I support them and they I, its important to let that process happen with all of your buddies. I dont think that fitting in is anything we should want, and I am super ok with that.

This post was edited

Beards can definitely look cool, and from the profiles of members on this site, I think you men rock the look. Like most things, beards go in and out of style. My hair is naturally curly and prematurely white, giving me facial hair that likely looks like Santa's pubes if he ever exposed them. My impression of men who look good in beards are that they are generally more creative, compassionate and authentic. As far as adult masculinity, I put more emphasis on being toned and HWP, working with the genes I have.

This post was edited

There are certainly many characteristics that speak to both adulthood and masculinity. However, facial hair is probably unbeatable at first glance and from a distance for indicating that the person seen is an adult male.

This post was edited

There are certainly many characteristics that speak to both adulthood and masculinity. However, facial hair is probably unbeatable at first glance and from a distance for indicating that the person seen is an adult male.

I think you are right, and not only that, a certain KIND of adult male. Wild, untamed, natural, and both safe and dangerous perhaps.

This post was edited

But what if it were the rare exception that a man voluntarily feminized himself by removing his facial hair. --]I think you are right, and not only that, a certain KIND of adult male. Wild, untamed, natural, and both safe and dangerous perhaps.[-- Then men with beards would be the overwhelming norm and no one would automatically characterize them as, "wild, untamed, natural, or dangerous." They'd just be men.

This post was edited

But what if it were the rare exception that a man voluntarily feminized himself by removing his facial hair. --]I think you are right, and not only that, a certain KIND of adult male. Wild, untamed, natural, and both safe and dangerous perhaps.[-- Then men with beards would be the overwhelming norm and no one would automatically characterize them as, "wild, untamed, natural, or dangerous." They'd just be men.

But this is not the dominant narrative of masculinity in neoliberal culture. Nor is it clear how it becomes even significant given the artifically induced culture coma we are all in. I'm not going to stop being me and offering the change by example, but I don't feel the groundswell of support for our position either.

This post was edited

I'm not going to stop being me and offering the change by example, but I don't feel the groundswell of support for our position either.

Beards are currently trending in as per https://www.dapperconfidential.com/beards-vs-clean-shaven-whats-hot/.

Like most things, if you're young and hip and push the boundaries of conventionality you have more street cred than if you're old and gray and look like you're bathroom's being remodeled. Like it or not, there's a difference between young adult and middle aged masculinity.
I for one look more like an unemployed mall santa than aging hipster if I were to grow a beard. So I'll take whatever vestiges of youthfulness I can muster.

This post was edited