Should Guests be warned?

We stayed in a villa near the beach with about 6 rental units a few years ago. When we arrived we noticed a sign that said that the hot tub and section of the deck near it was clothing optional. We were not told prior to arrival. The area was not visible from Most of the rest of the deck. While it didn't bother me, it made my wife uncomfortable. Do you think that the owner should have told customers when reservations were made?

This topic was edited
RE:Should Guests be warned?

We stayed in a villa near the beach with about 6 rental units a few years ago. When we arrived we noticed a sign that said that the hot tub and section of the deck near it was clothing optional. We were not told prior to arrival. The area was not visible from Most of the rest of the deck. While it didn't bother me, it made my wife uncomfortable. Do you think that the owner should have told customers when reservations were made?

Yes, it should have been part of the listing and you should have been made aware at time of booking. If there is a method of feedback, put it in there.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

Why would something thats optional bothers anyone?

This post was edited

Why would something thats optional bothers anyone?

My wife doesn't want to see anyone nude except me.

This post was edited

She doesn't have to she anyone else blunder does she?

This post was edited

If it was not visible from most of the deck, then no, I don't think there needed to be advance notice. just don't go there. If the hot tub was advertised as an amenity, then yes the clothing policy should have been noted. But even that depends on where the villa was. If hot-tub / sauna style nudity was universally practiced in the area, then advance notice would not have been needed or even appropriate. As, for example, advance notice would not be appropriate where letting small children go naked on the beach is common. It's the local culture, and it's up to the visitor to adjust.

There's a French word "shocking." Not the native French word "choquant", but one with a specifically English-sounding pronunciation, and it refers to something tourists make a show of being offended at. Travel at its best should include openness to experience.

This post was edited

"Warning", the word implies avoiding danger.
Notification is a much more pleasant way of stating.
I own a VRBO that has a hot tub and I mention the clothing optional/naked aspect as "dare to bare".
To me there's a signifigant difference between using a hot tub naked and sharing that hot tub naked with other guests.
What's with the apprehension that someone is always spying or gawking?

This post was edited

Bingo!
Clothing Optional is just that.

This post was edited

Then she should not look or be tempted to look.

This post was edited

If being nude in front of others makes you uncomfortable then dont get nudeit really is that simple.

This post was edited

that is why it is called OPTIONAL.

This post was edited