Biggest hindrance to RVing

I just posted this in another group but it probably is more relevant here.

We all like to go RVing, camping, out & about the land but sometimes have a obstacle to surmount. Its different for all but still must be overcome. Ours as of late has been a PITA , toilet. Yep, you read correctly, the toilet, john, crapper, whatever you call it. Ours started leaking months ago, that faint odor gradually becoming more pronounced. I first replaced the bowl gasket, my first foray into RV toilet work. Getting into that cramped space to work was half the battle-almost. An hour or so later and much consternation, the gasket had been replaced and seal checked. Good to go, or so we thought. Next weekend outing, it worked fine for about one day. Ughhh, back to the drawing board. To make it less painful for all observers, I replaced every seal, gasket, valve I could find and-it still leaked. I surrendered, off to the shop for $$$s and professional repair. Then out we went for a long weekend, it didnt even last the day. Now its back in the shop for a new improved Thetford toilet. Maybe, just maybe, it will last. Wish me luck.

This topic was edited
RE:Biggest hindrance to RVing

I having similar issues with a Vacu-Flush on my boat. Its a saga for sure. Some new parts are on order.

This post was edited

Bought our RV from my dad. He bought it new. It was never abused but it was neglected, meaning, he never did periodic maintenance. Only time things got fixed or maintained is when I borrowed it and gave it back to him in much better shape than he gave it to me.

The original toilet was small so when Camping World had a sale, we bought a Thetford toilet. It was a real upgrade and not only was it on sale, but CW was having a "Install anything we sell for $59" event. Needless to say, we bought the toilet and several other things for them to install.

Had trouble with one dump valve but must have been some TP lodged in the stopper but it worked itself out and works fine now. Having the spray nozzle beside the toilet works nice as a bidet. Much less TP going down the toilet to deal with during clean up and refresh.

This post was edited

Update on our Threatford 300 series toilet from the defective 100 series which was a plastic wobbly thing and leaked septic gas after a 4 month summer. The replacement was the 300 series which was a porcelain type. 2 years in it would not hold water in the bowl so it would emit tank odor. Yes we use deodorizers and usually only have to dump the tank twice a 4month season.

After some research I found there is seal conditioner for the 300 to use or even how to replace the seal. I will replace the seal and buy the seal conditioner I spose.

This post was edited

Biggest hindrance for me and the RV, currently, is getting Di to agree to go someplace! LOL

It's warming up here in So Cal and it can get hot in the RV. When the A/C only cools the inside of the coach 20 degrees below ambient, the inside of the RV can get up near the mid 80's to 90 degrees! I can deal with it, she can't.

This post was edited

We have found a very good cleaning of the waste tanks are needed and smelly pack added. Others have found clogged vent tubes and others believe in different vent toppers to create a venturi while driving to pull gasses out or when the wind blows when parked.

We use Dawn, pinesol and the smelly packs but mainly a good clean out. Flushing both tanks several times and leaving a just a bit of water on the bottom of the tanks so nothing will dry and stick.

Best of luck

This post was edited

I saw your comment on the Pine-Sol; I keep a quart bottle of diluted lavender Pine-Sol in the bathroom cabinet. When out camping, I pour just a small amount in the toilet each day to help keep any odor at bay. Upon returning home from a trip & dumping tanks, I add a little more to prevent problems until our next adventure. It really does help.

This post was edited

John I can appreciate the pine soil tip and something I will keep in mind. I use the black tank deodorant packs and I personally seldom utilize the commode that way I have less maintenance. It's handy for Luann and besides our dear friends next door have a full septic system and by gawd I have there door key ! :D

This post was edited

Rock, I use the same logic during our camping trips as well. I will normally walk down to the campground bath house and use the facilities there and leave almost exclusive use of the bathroom for Ruth. That way, as you said, theres less mess at the end of the day. Theres also a lot more room to shave in the bath house; you can actually turn around without bumping into the cabinet, toilet or shower stall! But, as said, well all press on.

This post was edited

Our *leftovers* from the December hard freeze have now been resolved. The mixing valve cartridges in the sink & shower fixtures froze during our 17F weather event. Having never messed with those types & finding a replacement part was a pain. After a few weeks of searching the internet & big box stores, I found exactly what was needed at our last remaining old school plumbing parts house. Its amazing what real knowledgeable pros can do! Anyway, after one install & another re-install, its working and almost ready for spring. Oil changes are due all around along with the still unresolved leveling jack issue but we*re getting closer. Yes-the light at the end of the tunnel is visible & its not a train!

This post was edited

I have struggled with low water pressure for a few years and yes it aggravated me. By accident I left the in-line water filter out when I put water to the camper. Problem solved! The heck of it is the filter manufacturer is a company I service. GRRR

This post was edited