Biggest hindrance to RVing

We all like to go RVing, camping, out & about the land but sometimes have a obstacle to surmount. Its different for all but still must be overcome. Ours as of late has been a PITA , toilet. Yep, you read correctly, the toilet, john, crapper, whatever you call it. Ours started leaking months ago, that feint odor gradually becoming more pronounced. I first replaced the bowl gasket, my first foray into RV toilet work. Getting into that cramped space to work was half the battle-almost. An hour or so later and much consternation, the gasket had been replaced and seal checked. Good to go, or so we thought. Next weekend outing, it worked fine for about one day. Ughhh, back to the drawing board. To make it less painful for all observers, I replaced every seal, gasket, valve I could find and it still leaked. I surrendered, off to the shop for $$$s and professional repair. Then out we went for a long weekend, it didnt even last the day. Now its back in the shop for a new improved Thetford toilet. Maybe, just maybe, it will last. Wish me luck.

This topic was edited
RE:Biggest hindrance to RVing

Years ago, our friends had a a chronic potty odor problem. They replaced the unit with a new toilet, but still had the problem Turned out, their SEWER VENT was closed off due to "blockage" created by mud-daubers, leaves, etc. Sewer gas had no outlet other than escaping in the coach. Anyway, it is certainly worth checking from time to time -- could make happy camping more enjoyable! :) Derek

This post was edited

Thank you for that information. Ill check into it. Were still waiting to pick up the motorhome, itll probably be next week but at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

This post was edited

Another issue we have had is traveling down the road with windows and roof vents closed, the pressure differential will pull holding tank gases out of a sealed trap. We always travel with at least one roof vent open, it solved all our issues

This post was edited

Another issue we have had is traveling down the road with windows and roof vents closed, the pressure differential will pull holding tank gases out of a sealed trap. We always travel with at least one roof vent open, it solved all our issues

This post was edited

This post was edited