RE:Coming out as a nudist at work?

Thanks for the replies everyone! It was nice hearing the thoughts and stories shared on here.

I've decided I probably shouldn't announce it at a company-wide event - it should be more discretionary with small numbers of coworkers I trust the most. I feel too that nudism should just be a choice of wardrobe - some people wear slacks and a pink shirt, one should be able to wear nothing but the sky, but not everyone sees it that way.

I see it like: this is a rather large part of who I am, in the way someone else might really be into music and have a YouTube channel they're proud of, and it feels lonely sometimes that the vast majority of my "real world" contacts don't/can't know about my nudism. I'd like if I could weaken those boundaries somehow - not to be weird about it at all, but just to get it out there, and maybe find out some of my acquaintances are also secret nudists and we could have a shared interest to bond over.

This post was edited

I think that is very prudent. It's too bad that you can't say "I am a nudist...." like you can say, "I am a flyfisher" or "I am a yachtsman", but that's what we have to deal with most places. I remember a job I had where I could tell people I was one, but I wasn't at the time, and if I did, it would have been as friends and totally unrelated to and outside work. If they are really your friends, you probably know and can tell them something without freaking them out. But there may be people in the office you don't know as well as you might think, and that might somehow cross a line.....kind of funny because you are just sharing a part of yourself, and they might taking it as forcing the image of you naked on them, and their mind running wild. But of course in today's litigation-insane USA, their filthy imagination would not be at fault but likely you for being honest and telling them what you do in your free time.

Kind of related to this, it's hotter than hell here, and even in air conditioning I just want to be nude. Not because of being a nudist but that is the only thing that is remotely comfortable. But if I went outside in my own fenced in yard, I wouldn't be surprised if the police stopped by. Too much of the population can't separate nude and sex.

This post was edited

What kind of fence do you have? If people have to go out of their way to see, you should be OK. I have a 6' privacy fence and often sun and swim nude.I am a little more careful standing up since it would be easier to be seen over the fence.

This post was edited

Nowadays everybody at my work place knows I am a nudist and I work nude as often as I can - being self employed and working from your home has its benefits I guess.

However, it hasn't always been like this for me. I held very senior roles in a number of organisations and my nudism was always a well kept and guarded facet of my life and personality. Why - because not everybody will react or act favourably towards you. There is a vast chasm in understanding nudism by the broader population, and your work place is no different (albeit a very small number of businesses do you work nude days from what I understand).

That broad and vast chasm of understanding has on one end, nudists and naturists of course but the bell curve sits a mean average around saying they are nonplussed and then takes a steep dive to those who'll use it to divide, ridicule and vilify, and generally make life hard for you. And guess what they seem to be the sociopaths in senior management....

This post was edited

I work in a Government office building and all of my co-workers know were nudists a couple of coworkers came out say also they were nudists also . No one judged me everything was cool . I told them to look at our pictures on another site which they have .

This post was edited

I work in a Government office building and all of my co-workers know were nudists a couple of coworkers came out say also they were nudists also . No one judged me everything was cool . I told them to look at our pictures on another site which they have .

This post was edited

I personally knew two people (one in retail and the other at a hospital) who openly came out as nudists at work. They were both ridiculed, labeled "weirdos"; and the stigma lasted during for the rest of their employment there. I tried to defend them without directly "outing myself", but I was brushed off. Small town people...small minds. I learned from this that you need to have really thick skin to openly come out as a nudist in some environments. And I'm not THAT thick-skinned.

If you're going to "come out" at work, it's better to do it with specific people with whom you have a rapport based on mutual trust and respect - that extends beyond the workplace. I've done this a few times; and in one case a co-worker actually embraced home-nudism after discussing it with me. And they never "outed" me.

This post was edited

As in Andy's case, there are exceptions where it's accepted.

One notable one for me was a friend of mine, who was co-owner of a small business (3-4 employees). Not only did all his co-workers know he was a nudist; but he was also nude when he did paperwork in the back office. I actually went to see him at work once; and he was in fact naked in his office then. While visiting and interacting with the other employees, I found out that his female co-worker (the admin assistant) actually had accompanied him once to his resort and had socialized nude with him and his GF at their home on occasion. His business partner, whose wife was against it, had not.

I found it pretty fascinating that nudity had been so normalized at a workplace and between co-workers. But I think that's very rare outside of self-employment or very small workplaces.

This post was edited

There have been countless threads on this subject on every naturist website I've been a member of. I do consider myself very fortunate to have had mostly great people I worked with that were tolerant of my lifestyle. When I read all those posts before me, on every thread started on this subject, I counted my blessing that I didn't have anyone make a big deal out of it to the point of contacting HR or anyone above my boss or his boss. By the way, both of those guys were firemen under my supervision at one time.

I did have two firemen that pitched a bitch about my nudity at the kitchen table one morning. I reminded them that when they came to work for me, I told them about me and they said, "it doesn't bother me!" Now, they have changed their tune. I brought them into the captain's office and set some new ground rules about us having separate times in the locker room and head for each shift we worked together. The second shift we worked, after our talk in the captain's office, they both were in the locker room during my time. Again, I called them into the front office and talked to them about that. They both said, "ahhh, it really doesn't bother us and we're fine with it." It was then that I needed witnesses and out to the kitchen table we went so everyone could hear them say, "it's not an issue with them."

It can't be easy to live this lifestyle and have it be a secret at all times. My wife kept it a secret at work, but she really didn't have much contact with colleagues as much as she did students. There wasn't much socializing between her coworkers as there were with me and mine.

This post was edited

was working with a new hire and she said one day can't wait to get home and get her clothes off. I said really, I am a nudist too.she said she lives alone, kids all grown up.she said come over some time, she lived out in country and had a big fenced in yard.Later in the spring she said come over so I did and she answered the front door naked. we spent the day naked in the backyard, she had a above ground pool to cool off in.

This post was edited