Can nudism save the planet?

Over the last fortnight our youngest was not at home with us and we did a lot of nude time. At the end of the first week when we went to do the laundry it was very obvious that there was not a lot of clothing to be washed and dried.

I had an epiphany - being a nudist is actually good for the environment. But how good? Could it help save the planet?

So I started looking for some data to make assessment of my epiphany, and its amazing just how good for the environment being a nudist is!

Here in Australia, in our most populated State (New South Wales) about 300,000 tonnes (metric tonnes) of discarded textiles goes to landfill each year. That means Australia wide there is about one million tonnes of discarded textiles going to landfill each year. Now to put that in perspective; the largest ships that carry coal have a cargo of around 250,000 tonnes - so each year Australia is putting to landfill the equivalent of four of these behemoth ship loads of textiles. Multiply that by 10 for Europe and then another 10 for the USA...you get the picture.

But that's just part of the story. In the USA each year each household does around 300 laundry loads. Annually each household consumes around 60,000litres of water to do this laundry. There is of course the electrical power consumed (and additional if you use a drier) plus the detergents added, and this is without even thinking of the environmental footprint of manufacturing the machines themselves.

So just like Meat Free Monday is aimed at reducing impact on the environment, perhaps we can start a Textile Free Tuesday...and work our way up to an air miles type scheme to reward folks for the total nude hours they clock up each month...

Just an idea - what are your thoughts?

This topic was edited
RE:Can nudism save the planet?

For most people it would be a seasonal thing. Not wearing clothing in cold weather indoors in winter would probably do more environmental damage by running the heat higher than what is saved by not manufacturing, washing and disposing of clothing.
On the other hand, there would be additional savings in warm weather by not having to run the air conditioner as much.

This post was edited

What about the nudists who live in a cold climate that burn more fossil fuels to stay warm enough not to need a coat indoors?

This post was edited

Dont believe nudism as it has currently being understood can. But naturism can. naturism was always about care for the environment and respect for others along side social nudity. So all the things you describe apply to the current definition of naturism which has always had an ecological and societal focus while nudism has come to be define as just being naked.
This quote from Lee Baxandall a pioneer of American naturism and founder of the Naturist Society suggests the societal and ecological ethos behind naturism.

Naturists seek a remedy .... to civilization that has turned dangerous. Naturism is a civilized characteristic
Lee Baxandall

This post was edited

And if the electrical supply is all from renewable sources?

This post was edited

I agree with what you say re male and female nudity and the general bias in the population toward male nudity being 'more disgusting'. And that is a problem that in many ways is self fulfilling due to the way a certain percentage of males sadly behave. You only have to go to a legal beach here to see what happens in the back dunes and bushland to understand this.

But the overall thrust here is to gain greater public acceptance and being understood as environmentally friendly may just help others see our community differently but also hopefully gain more participation.

This post was edited

What about the nudists who live in a cold climate that burn more fossil fuels to stay warm enough not to need a coat indoors?

That's why I said it would be seasonal for many people.

This post was edited

That's why I said it would be seasonal for many people.

That and the fact that the Fabric Softener lobby has far to much influence in our politics.

This post was edited

That's why I said it would be seasonal for many people.That and the fact that the Fabric Softener lobby has far to much influence in our politics.

I remember a fabric softener commercial from the 60s that said nothing is as comfortable as wearing nothing, but since you have to wear something use (our product).

This post was edited

Naturism can definitely have a significant impact on reducing our drain on earth's resources and reducing damage. Provided it were adopted widespread. However 'save the planet'? Nothing is going to save the planet when our Creator has decreed it's total destruction. But then He's stated His plans to recreate it, returning it back to Eden status. And that's when naturist paradise will return worldwide for all survivors to enjoy. How to be a survivor is the only question to address. With a perfect environment to enjoy, there won't be any sin/evil to mess it up, and so logically everyone who survives must leave their sin/evil behind, give it up, repent and obtain pardon, so they can have a clean record to qualify for it.

This post was edited

Our creator has not said just when that destruction will be; humans have predicted it intermittently for millennia. We all know that it will go eventually - science says when the sun blows up, if not sooner with an asteroid or such. We are not saving it for eternity. We are saving it for the next generation and the one after that - or in the Biblical usage for foreseeable human society, unto the seventh generation. We do have a duty of stewardship. We do not know the mind of God.

As others have said, nudism doesn't save anything if it leads to more consumption - heating, driving further for the beach or a resort, slathering on chemicals instead of re-usable fabric for sun and insect protection. Even "renewable" technologies consume the resources needed to produce them and to dispose of them. There is no magic bullet that makes consumption entirely neutral.

This post was edited