disturbing reading.

I am a voracious reader. I have always had a book going for as long as I can remember. The only way I fall asleep for the night is to read
myself to sleep. And when I wake up to pee ( bladder over 60) i read myself back to sleep too. Every once in a while i am reading a book whose subject matter is disturbing and find myself not being able to read it before bed. I am currently reading The Heart of the Sea about shipwrecked sailors surviving in small boats 1000s of miles off the S. American coast in 1820s. It is quite graphic and all true. I had to pick up a light novel
to read to go back to sleep. I also get totally creeped out with fiction or real life characters in claustrophobic situations.

Anyone else have to watch what they read before bed?

This topic was edited
RE:disturbing reading.

I, too, don't like to read disturbing stories at bedtime. My bedside reading is often history or aviation-related. Sometimes fiction (usually science fiction or fantasy), and then definitely not thrillers or horror.

This post was edited

We're avid readers and always read before sleep. Can't say either of us has had any problem with particular genres at bedtime.

This post was edited

Many years ago, I was reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Of course, it was late in the night when I got to a part in the book that literally scared me. One of the few times a book has done that. It did take me an extra long time to fall asleep .
A good that draws you into it, will be hard to put down or sleep after reading so far into it.... But that is why we enjoy them.

This post was edited

Ive never enjoyed (or even read) horror stories or even accounts of horrific events, war atrocities and such. Whether in book or film. In the last few days the term Empath was brought to me. Empaths are people who have a lot of empathy for others and good intuition, but who may have difficulty setting boundaries.. If that is true and true about me, I understand why I have difficultly enjoying the entertainment so many others enjoy.

Just my thoughts.

This post was edited