Nudists and "textiles" in mixed settings. Do they actually "mix"?

An acquaintance of mine (let's just say friend) did an interesting little "experiment." He threw a "bash" at his home and invited his nudist friends as well as "textile" friends (he has many in both worlds). He reported a very balanced mix; along the lines of 1/3 nude, 1/3 dressed, and 1/3 partially disrobed/lightly clothed. But he soon realized that the "nudes" were segregating themselves as a group; and a few even reported being uncomfortable with the "textile" presence. The "textiles", on the other hand, did not seem to have a problem with the "nudes." He expressed some surprise and disappointment with the "nudes'" not mingling very well with the "textiles."

I was not surprised.

My limited experience with "mixed settings" would suggest that nudists can be quite "lukewarm" to the idea of "intimate" interaction with dressed people. I've had a discussion about it with my wife, who described the idea as "being on display." That would indicate some sense of vulnerability when naked in front of someone who is not. I've seen it where the dressed person(s) in a nude setting was/were ignored or avoided; or the nudists became self-conscious when approached by a dressed person(s).

Demonstrating "naked confidence" while interacting with a "textile" is often recognized as a good thing; as it demonstrates that naturalness of nudity. I've often told the story of the "reluctant and fully clothed" wife at a get-together who was ignored/avoided; and it was because my (then) wife demonstrated "naked confidence" and friendliness towards her that she eventually decided to get naked too. But that was a one-on-one interaction. Even my (then) wife would have hesitated to approach a group of dressed individuals.

I'm curious about other people's thoughts and experiences on this.

This topic was edited
RE:Nudists and "textiles" in mixed settings. Do they actually "mix"?

Like most nudist couples, we also have two circles of close friends, one textiles and one nudists. We've talked quite a bit about asking both circles of friends to attend a function or event together, but Di doesn't want our textile friends being put on the spot by asking questions about themselves and nudism. The textiles friends know about the nudist friends. We've just not had them mixed at any gathering or event.

Di is always uncomfortable being naked around clothed people, even some clothed nudists. She and I attended a Nude Attitude Car Show at our club back in 2011. Several nudists had their cars on display. 4-5 wives of the car owners were also there, including my wife. It was a mixed crowd but mostly textiles from the car club that brought the majority of the classic cars. I and two other nudist guys were the only nudists naked the entire time. Di and the other nudist women all stated what your wife alluded to Nudony, "we're not here to be on display. If they want to see us naked, then they should also get naked." It levels the playing field for many nudists, and I think in particular, the nudist women.

I think it has a little to do with being naked with clothed people and being judged, looked over, having your flaws looked over, snide remarks being made to one another by the textiles. It's easy for the textiles to do so since they are covered, and their body isn't being looked over and their flaws unnoticed. Being naked is the great equalizer and in these mixed gatherings of nudes and textiles, he playing field is not equal. s
Since a majority of mainstream society views us nudists as weird, crazy, perverted, sex crazed, swingers... it adds to that feeling of discomfort and vulnerability. Some guys can do and deal with it, I would venture to say that most nudist women would not.

This post was edited

Being naked is the great equalizer and in these mixed gatherings of nudes and textiles, he playing field is not equal.

Agreed.

I didn't ask my friend, but I would wager that the "nudes" that complained about the "textile presence" were in fact women.

I have seen women arriving at nudist get-togethers and taking a peek outside, at the attendees, before going back inside and disrobing. Undoubtably to ascertain how comfortable they will be being naked amongst them.
At the resort, my wife feels no need to do that because it's an "all nude resort"; but at the BnB, she will put on a bathrobe upon arriving; and after seeing the other guests nude (or close enough), will remove it.

Women - and I'm aware I'm generalizing here - "operate" on a different level of self-consciousness than men (usually) do. Liz knows she will not feel judged at the resort because the people seeing her naked will be naked themselves. She would feel very differently if some or most were covered up.

This post was edited

I cannot really say I have experienced a large group of nudist and textiles mixing. If I did I know I would be completely comfortable
being in the nude crowd even if that crowd were just me. I have posed for artist to sketch where the ratio of textiles to nudes is 15 to one
I have also often entertained people at my home where I am nude and they are clothed. As long as the textile is comfortable with a nude
person around them, I know I am comfortable around a textile. And from my experience many more textiles are fine with that
arrangement than the average nudist thinks will be.

This post was edited

i think an important factor has been left out. The designated place is it a nudist setting with clothing optional to facilitate the clothed guests or is a Textile place wih same clothing optional for nudists or was it left come as you are ,
Textiles going to a nudist place tend to know what they are doing, Average textile confronted with nudism in a setting they feel is textile it's not going to go well. So many variables left to the imagination in this discussion.

This post was edited

Sitting back and observing over the years it forever has been perplexing to me. I've seen a gathering of nudist and no one disrobed for a good period of time I speak more of couples. If my wife disrobes BANG everyone starts undressing. Just how it has usually been. I am clueless why other females wait for her lead.
I have seen mixed textiles and nudist. There is usually one guy that is balls out legs open on full display loud and proud. That usually polarized the mood of the room.
Recently a newer single female unwittingly hosted a mixed friends party and when a few took off there clothes the textiles were shell shocked. Her comment was I will not make that mistake again.
For us my wife will not strip down if the other folks are not true nudist. I myself am not comfortable being the lone naked man in the room as much as I would rather always be naked.

This post was edited

Sidebar question.

Are ..Jocks and Yes Men ways of labelling a certain type of person?

Asking for a friend.

This post was edited

Sitting back and observing over the years it forever has been perplexing to me. I've seen a gathering of nudist and no one disrobed for a good period of time I speak more of couples. If my wife disrobes BANG everyone starts undressing. Just how it has usually been. I am clueless why other females wait for her lead.I have seen mixed textiles and nudist. There is usually one guy that is balls out legs open on full display loud and proud. That usually polarized the mood of the room.Recently a newer single female unwittingly hosted a mixed friends party and when a few took off there clothes the textiles were shell shocked. Her comment was I will not make that mistake again.For us my wife will not strip down if the other folks are not true nudist. I myself am not comfortable being the lone naked man in the room as much as I would rather always be naked.

How did it go after the initial shock? Did more nudists join the naked group? Did any of the textiles also try going nude? Did people leave or stay? Did the nudists get dressed again? There had to be a lot to talk about not only then, but for days, months, and years to come.

This post was edited

Recently a newer single female unwittingly hosted a mixed friends party and when a few took off there clothes the textiles were shell shocked. Her comment was I will not make that mistake again.

My experience being naked around covered/dressed non-nudists is that they've struggled with it more often than not. Either they have a hard time not staring at body parts; or they're clearly "faking" being totally comfortable with it.

I was at a "mixed" get together recently; but it was at a nudist resort's "after hours" event. Due to the cooler evening temps and the mosquitoes, some people opted to be fully dressed, many others bottomless; and the bravest went fully nude. But these were all nudists; with an understanding of nudist etiquette and a "proven" comfort with nudity. No one cared who was naked or who was not. So there was no weirdness about the "mixed" setting.

This post was edited

Sidebar question.Are ..Jocks and Yes Men ways of labelling a certain type of person?Asking for a friend.

I dont know about yes men but jocks has different meanings depending on where you live. In the UK jock is a colloquial term for a Scotsman.in the US is something different.

This post was edited

Sidebar question.Are ..Jocks and Yes Men ways of labelling a certain type of person?Asking for a friend.I dont know about yes men but jocks has different meanings depending on where you live. In the UK jock is a colloquial term for a Scotsman.in the US is something different.

Jocks in the US is a term for athletes, especially those whose life revolves around athletic activities.

This post was edited