Favorite band, artist and why??

I have 3, pink Floyd, defenitely the best band ever, individual artists, gotta be leonard Cohen, a true lyricist, my dad was manager of a record shop when I was a kid, used to go there after school listen to the latest releases, was about 8when I heard Suzanne, totally hooked from then, and rush, first band I ever saw live,

This topic was edited
RE:Favorite band, artist and why??

Rush, since they were the first to merge the Progressive Rock and Hard Rock genres together and had lyrics that were much more thoughtful than most bands at the time. I was lucky enough to see them 20+ times over multiple tours from 1986 on. The Police, since Sting also wrote more thoughtful lyrics and also good songs. Only saw them twice, both on the reunion tour in 2007. Van Halen, since Eddie was a musical genius who just knew how to write good song, even if the lyrics were more run of the mill (that was more of DLR and SH's department). Saw them many times from the first Van Hagar tour in 1986 through the last 2015 tour. 2020 was not a good year between COVID and losing Neil Peart and Eddie Van Halen.

This post was edited

I will limit mine to two.

Simon and Garfunklel . I prefer songs with stories and the easy on the ears tunes. I still think I should have gotten a special invite to their reunion
in Central Park Concert because it was held on my 21st birthday. I have all their music on LP , cassette and CD.

Peter Paul and Mary. Once again easy on the ears tunes and lyrics with meaning. I did get to see them in concert twice.

This post was edited

Only bands for now combining artist and bands is a little too limiting

Earth Wind and Fire
Parliment funkadelic
U2

This post was edited

Can't limit myself to one or two bands or genres. Life is too rich and nuanced for that. One late night I was road tripping and listening to an NPR report on a rap artist. To me rap is a code word for "change the channel," but I was intrigued that it was on a more high-browed channel. I listened and discovered that rap has all the elements of classic folk music: accessible everyday instruments and language, rich lyrics, protest and celebration of life just because not despite. So I no longer dismiss but can't say I appreciate it either. Today I heard songs from Neil Young, Kaleo, John Dowland (17 century), Abba and Old Crow Medicine Show that I liked, so I'm not sure how easily I can be pegged.

This post was edited

I especially like bands with a female lead singer. Most of them are singer-song writers. I could mention you now many bands. I think Texas and London Grammar are well known of them. I will name you one which I am hearing this week. It is Joy Denalane. She is an Afro German and is born in Berlin. Her album Born & Raised is pretty good. Listen to her at least on youtube or spotify. Why I like her? She believes in the same values as members of the Green Party.

This post was edited

Agree with you wildwilly, I am supprised no one has mentioned the stones or beatles, never a big fan of either but the stones were OK, never into the beatles, just a boy band and a lot of there lyrics were drivel/generic pop, never really said anything meaningful, ( in my opinion!! I'm sure others will disagree)

This post was edited