Temperature limits?

Fall seems to be coming early this year after a near-perfect summer up here in New England. Just swam a mile naked in my local pond down the road this morning at a water temp of 68 F at the shoreline - chilly but nearly perfect otherwise, the sun was shining, birds singing, and the water was a sheet of glass. I think I might be able to eke out another week as it sinks down to 65 degrees but after that its probably back to the gym and the pool for me.

Whats the lowest anyones done and still enjoyed it? Any Brits here? - I think you folks routine swim down to 60 F because it barely ever gets higher than that anywhere around your foggy isles!

This topic was edited
RE:Temperature limits?

Fall seems to be coming early this year after a near-perfect summer up here in New England. Just swam a mile naked in my local pond down the road this morning at a water temp of 68 F at the shoreline - chilly but nearly perfect otherwise, the sun was shining, birds singing, and the water was a sheet of. I think I might be able to eke out another week as it sinks down to 65 degrees but after that its probably back to the gym and the pool for me.Whats the lowest anyones done and still enjoyed it? Any Brits here? - I think you folks routine swim down to 60 F because it barely ever gets higher than that anywhere around your foggy isles!

Water temperature around 70F. Air temperature can be a little lower if sunny,

This post was edited

Even though I'm lucky to live where it's quite warm typically; when on holiday my limits are around 60F/15C water temperatures with an air of around 45F/8C. Otherwise I tend to not enjoy.

This post was edited

I like to look at https://www.baywx.com.au/temps.html to see what temperatures we have. 22C/70F is around the best we see most years so we have to be brave. It's always colder outside the heads of Port Phillip. I struggle below 18C/65F. I once met a boy from Tahiti who flatly refused to swim here when visiting.

This post was edited

nacktschwimmer - You are quite right about water temperatures in the UK. We rarely get water temperatures as high as 20C (68F) and anything over 15C (59F) is considered warm enough for the timidest swimmer.

In my younger days I used to start my pre-breakfast morning swimming as soon as we had a week of air temperatures of 10C (50F) or above. which would have resulted in a water temperature of about 10C,
At the end of the summer, being acclimatised, I would swim through until it was too cold to do 100 yard lengths of the open-air unheated pool.

Other swimmers used to swim right through the winter but I was one of the "softies."

This post was edited

60 F? Youre giving me courage, I may try. Usually though I start doing the involuntary gasping thing when it hits 65 F and I dunk my head.

Was 69 this morning at the pond, up from 68 yesterday. I went a mile. Slightly numb hands toward the end but otherwise wonderful. A few fishermen and other (wet suited) swimmers about but easy to avoid.

Once winter hits, who knows? Has anyone here snowshoed nude?

This post was edited

OMG. 50s? Ive heard people can do it but I figured it must just be a few exceptional individuals. All of you in Britain manage it? Stiff upper lip indeed..

New England isnt exactly the balmiest place but the use of wet suits here strikes me as out of control. People are wearing them in July when the water temp approaches 80. I honestly think its a status thing, like yoga outfits and those multicolored spandex bike outfits everyone is wearing. I feel so sorry for those swimmers, though, bobbing around in their suits and slowly overheating like boiled frogs while I sneakily swim past them in the buff 20 yards away.

This post was edited

Didnt realize Melbourne is that cold. Australia has the stereotype of being hot / warm everywhere. Except maybe Tasmania. Ive always wanted to go to Tasmania but maybe not for swimming.

This post was edited

We're not as far south as many of you are north. I like to compare our climate to the coastal areas of the Carolinas in the US, but the different land shapes and coastal orientations mix things up a little. Sea currents from the Antarctic have an impact and certainly the water temperature goes up as you move past Point Hicks and face the Pacific Ocean to the east.

Some relatives just returned from a short vacation in Bali, Indonesia. He said the sea water was almost too warm for swimming!

This post was edited

We're not as far south as many of you are north. I like to compare our climate to the coastal areas of the Carolinas in the US, but the different land shapes and coastal orientations mix things up a little. Sea currents from the Antarctic have an impact and certainly the water temperature goes up as you move past Point Hicks and face the Pacific Ocean to the east.Some relatives just returned from a short vacation in Bali, Indonesia. He said the sea water was almost too warm for swimming!

I checked your lattitude and it is more like Virginia.

This post was edited

Were having a late summer here in New England this year (or late winter, depending on how you define it) so Ive been forced to swim nude like an Englishman, LOL. Did a mile yesterday at 64 but thats as low as Im going - took me 30-40 minutes afterward to warm up again!

This post was edited