Gaslighting in nudism online

Merriam-Webster Word of the year is gaslighting.

The word: gaslighting.
"A driver of disorientation and mistrust, gaslighting is the act or practice of grossly misleading someone especially for one's own advantage," says Merriam-Webster on its website. "2022 saw a 1740% increase in lookups for gaslighting, with high interest throughout the year."

It is no surprise to me that there were so many lookups since it is present in every aspect of society including the nudism online. Commonly on this site people post misleading and misguiding misinformation to serve their own interests.

This topic was edited
RE:Gaslighting in nudism online

It's also interesting to see where the term (word) is derived. Then to fully understand its application in psychology.

I'm keen to know where you're coming from when you say of its practice here in TN. And it will help others if you can give some examples.

This post was edited

trump, the orange clown president, and the disingenuous crowd of liars, frauds and fakers who profess to support him, and the imbecilic nonsense he spouted, are notorious at gaslighting

This post was edited

Yep 100% agree it's a great example.

The original posting though is calling out gaslighting on this site. Do you see any examples on here?

Other than fake profiles using attractive women to lure men to scam their credit card details, there may not be so much or any.

In simple terms, if one believes what they are saying to be true and they express that view or opinion or present that as a fact then they are not gaslighting.

Gaslighting occurs when you know you're lying or being deceitful to create a gain over the other person.

This post was edited

***Mikenshel***I must wholeheartedly disagree with your above statement and will leave it at that.

This post was edited

John, I thought it was a great example of what thread was about in itself. :-)

This post was edited

I choose not to use any examples from politics because I knew it would sidetrack the conversation and sure enough. Since I started the thread I can say again this is about gaslighting in nudism online. If you want examples just peruse the sex and sexuality category to see people who try to force anyone trying to enjoy simple non sexual social nudity to have to endure there sexual "self expression"

Their approach is to create a narrative that says anyone who is for non sexual social nudity is a prude, asexual, old and out of touch etc All in the effort to peruse their own self interested sexual proclivities regardless of who might be impacted. So they make themselves out to be victims of discrimination and suggest they are the ones being harmed. While their "self expression" creates a negative view of actual nudism and pushes more true nudists further away from broader acceptance of the way of life.

Dont need to bring this to the political realm to find example and devolve into cra cra just look at what is going on right here on this site and then elsewhere in nudist circles online.

This post was edited

The only relevance to the phrase "gaslighting" in nudism/naturism is when people try to persuade others that their own preferences on subjects like cock rings, tattoos, clothing/optional, PDAs, and such are either mainstream preferences or societal norms, or should be.

I suppose that it could also be extended to people's perceptions of the history of nudism. It appears that they have widely different interpretations of how nudism developed, and for what purpose, and which societal need it serves. That's natural. But when when people try to convince others that their interpretation is the only, true one, and everybody else's is wrong, even though you know that the historical record doesn't support your convictions, then you could call it a form of "gaslighting."

This post was edited

What is an interpretation of nudist history. Either is is history or its not. Is it logical them to say that we have have different interpretations of the history of WWII?

I am confused by your comment please enlighten me. My reference to glass lighting was very specific as it relates to the way nudism is portrayed today online. I am not sure how your comment about the history of nudism fits but I am eager to understand.

This post was edited

I think this is an excellent point. Here are examples of what I found when I looked up the definition of nudism:

nudism (n-di-zm)
1.the practice of going nude especially in sexually mixed groups and during periods of time spent at specially secluded places
2.the activity of wearing no clothes because you believe that wearing no clothes is healthy
3.the practice of not wearing any clothes on beaches and other areas specially set aside for this purpose.
4.going without clothes as a social practice

I didn't find any definitions which included such details as erections, genital jewelry, sexual orientation, discrimination, historical interpretations, tattoos, smoking cigars on the beach or any sexual proclivities or behaviors.

To insist that "nudism" must include or absolutely cannot include any of these extraneous details outside the definition of nudism for the purpose of personal gain is indeed gaslighting.

This post was edited

ITo insist that "nudism" must include or absolutely cannot include any of these extraneous details outside the definition of nudism for the purpose of personal gain is indeed gaslighting.

I spend at least 1 month out of 12 per year living nude in a naturist village, I dont see your view of naturism echoed by anyone else in that place.

This post was edited