The myth of the asexual nudist prude

Many times when nudists try to promote non sexual nudism and a naturist practice they are accused of being asexual, prudes. This couldnt be further from the truth. Most of the active social nudists/naturist I know myself included have active sex lives. The difference is we dont feel the need to broadcast or publicize our sex lives. We leave that to the swingers.

When you naturism is a way of life sex just becomes another thing that is done coincidentally without clothing. Being naked doesnt make sexual arousal any more or less likely as naturists like most other people are attracted to human beings and personalities not just naked bodies. As a recent study pointed out people who are comfortable with non sexual social nudity tend to have better sex lives because they have better body acceptance and self esteem.

Participants who socialized naked reported significantly improved body image and less physique anxiety.
Public nakedness contributes to self-esteem. It helps one appreciate the diversity of the human form and judge themselves less harshly.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/all-about-sex/202211/hate-your-body-public-nakedness-might-change

Papers by social psychologists suggest the reason for this is that social nudists/naturists have different intentions thats those who approach nudity with a sexual lens.

Naturist nudity is not interpreted through the prism of eroticism by naturists, because it does not have sex as an aim. Aleksandra Herman
Social nudism is mainly an outlook on life rather than an instinctive urge. Nudists, on the whole, are distinctly more ethical and social-minded than members of the general populace, and they should not be confused with isolated and invariably severely disturbed individuals who get into trouble with the law for exhibitionistic or voyeuristic acts. Albert Ellis psychologist quoted in the movie The Raw Ones
For the rakes', on the other hand, nudity is a sign of sexual readiness. Whats more, they are not sexually closed', but are rather open' ready to touch and be touched, ready for bodily contact and intimacy. This interpre-tation of nudity is in stark contrast to the one shared by naturists. Aleksandra Herman Naturist Utopia and Libertine Rebellion
We need to acquire the capacity to see the bodies of individuals of the other sex with such self-control and such natural instinct that they become non-erotic to us and can be gazed at without erotic feeling. Havelock Ellis -Psychology of Sex, Sex in Relation to Society (1929)

This topic was edited
RE:The myth of the asexual nudist prude

You mean naturists are just like normal people.

They just act normally but without clothes.

Well if thats true (it is) then its going to really annoy all the not normal people who join unmoderated naturist website thinking its all about the dick.

This post was edited

A mentor who's a brother in a Roman Catholic order dealt with the same issue of being labelled asexual? How can you give that all up to be nonhuman? They accused him of being emasculated.

He then gave a talk to a group, stripping himself utterly naked, all without touching a thread or his body in public. He talked about how he cooked, gourmet with everyday ingredients, and participated in every slight movement with his senses fully charged in every subtle and detail, fully engaged and yes, fully erotic and sexual. He tapped into everyone's sexuality there, arousing and confusing them all. Oh my God. Because sexuality and spirituality are sides of the same coin.

When nudists and naturists say nudism and naturism isn't sexual, does that mean that they are stone cold sober and leave their sexuality to private quarters with their female chaperones, which many nudist venues require for admission? Or can they have a light sexual charge, being titillating without what would be considered erotic, provocative or inappropriate?

If sex of the body is good, and sex of the mind is bad, what of sex when there is no separation of the body and the mind? What about the sex of Oneness? Is that a threat? About a hundred years ago, H.L. Mencken described Puritanism as the great haunting fear, that somebody, somewhere, might be happy. We still live in a Puritanical society in the U.S., and I wish nudism/naturism were more of an exception.

This post was edited

Andy can you give an example of any naturist social setting you have been in where its obvious any of the naturise have given up on the sexual side of there nature?

The reason I ask is because Lorna and I havent, just because its not on display when we are with other naturists does not mean we or any others are sexually inactive.

The fact that we are naked in a social setting should be proof enough that none there are prudes. None of us feel the need to fuck on the pool table just to show you we still have a sex life.

This post was edited

can you give an example of any naturist social setting you have been in where its obvious any of the naturise have given up on the sexual side of there nature?just because its not on display when we are with other naturists does not mean we or any others are sexually inactive.

Thank you for this been pondering how to respond the questions since there are so many assumptions including the one you mention embedded in the comment. I think it gets right to the point of the issue we live in an "if I didnt see it it didnt happen" era. So the assumption that if someone isnt publicly showing their sexuality it must mean they dont have any takes center stage. That has opened the door to all the exhibitionists/voyeurs who use social nudity to pursue their intention and at the same time gaslighting with the idea that sexual people by citrus of being sexual have put their sexuality on display.

They use terms like "natural body function" and erections are "normal" without speaking to the all the body functions and normal things that are constrained everyday in certain social context. When that doesnt work then the fall back to the prudery (generational, regional, and other) argument. All this while ignoring evidence to the contrary. Relying on their own limited or non existent social nudism experiences. Thanks again for the precise thought provoking response.

This post was edited

Sex in the body is good,Sex in the mind is bad.

In case this post wasn't sarcastic....

Respectful disagreement from me about this assertion. Sex in the mind can surely be bad, but sex in the body can be just as negative. The most wonderful sexual experiences I've encountered include both body and mind. And do not forget - if you adhere to such ideas - the inclusion of spirit in the adventure wraps the whole thing up with a lovely pink bow. If you take the moments it takes to be fully in the moment of an encounter that includes sex, heights of love can be reached that some people never even know are there waiting for them! And understand that this act is not only for two to experience together, though I think it is best achieved with that number because two can essentially become one in the interaction. We call it the octopus. So slow down that roll toward orgasm, feel the whole of it, let your skins touch everywhere, let the spark grow, let your lips linger in the love, leave the lights on, put up a mirror, look into their eyes and then deeper, don't be shy, fully accept the love being offered, trust your body and your partner, let go of inhibition, release the expanding power into your lover as they release theirs into you, feel it blooming into something more than what it was separately....there you may find a bliss you might miss if you always end up hurrying toward what the physical body wants instead of incorporating everything you are. This is where your two bodies and those three parts of you meet; spirit, mind & body melding into one fantastic mess of love! I suggest a thick towel to catch any love overflow. And if you get a hit but don't put your foot on all four bases the first few times, don't worry, it's still there waiting for you. Try again! If you're our age, get a drink of water and catch your breath, or wait for tomorrow morning. It may sound trite but it's about the journey, not the destination. If you don't get where you want to go at first, remember to appreciate the scenery along the way. Nudists want it just like everyone else -- we just have nothing to remove before we allow the Universe to embrace us in its love.

This post was edited

And there it is the completely off topic post designed throw sex acts into a conversation about non sexual social nudism SMH

This post was edited

Sex is a natural thing it is physical, it is there in the body. But sexuality is invented and created by you. It is psychological. This is sweeping the world today and in so many ways, it has become sick because if sex is in the body, it is fine it will fall into its natural place where it belongs. But the moment it enters your mind, it becomes a perversion. It has no business with your mind.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sadhguru,,,,,,,,,,,,,He speaks in greater depth about how sex is dominating too much of our lives.IMHO this thread and so many others like it show this.We miss the simple bliss of nakedness because we are so full of worry. About sex and about what other people think of us.We are so full of self importance and this is such a crippling load to carry.We as individuals have no real importance.If one of us dies the world keeps going.If a large group of like minded people like nudists die out the world keeps turning.If a given nudist park, club, resort or what ever does not want single males thats is their business not mine.Many nudist places are dying out just like many Churches. Its the same reasons in many cases.Failure to adapt.I always feel better after getting sex out if my mind.

Are you saying, if I dont want naturism to die I have to start fucking on the pool table?

Actually scratch that, Ive just read your profile, its obvious you are just living in a fantasy land.

This post was edited

And there it is the completely off topic post designed throw sex acts into a conversation about non sexual social nudism SMH

This is a very helpful point because it directly points out the Puritan polarity of "sex acts" vs. "non sexual social nudism." It misses the point that we are sexual creatures, or can be, 24/7, clothed or unclothed, engaging in sex or taking a moment to smell the fresh air and feel the sunshine on our cheeks, of our faces or butts, it's all the same. These acts are sexual because they're creation and life affirming. Nudism which insists that we are either engaging in lewd sex acts or being non sexual is in my mind asexual and prudish. The polarity denies the creative, sexual and affirming power of life. Hypersexuality also denies the warm sexual embrace of life by denying that our whole bodies, clothed or unclothed, active or resting, can also be sexual.

The myth of the asexual nudist prude is confirmed.

This post was edited

The myth of the asexual nudist prude is confirmed.

I just had to laugh when I read this. Despite what seems like an effort to break from the your usual inconsistent and subjective opining you always fall back to what seems like a comfort zone. Creating fall dichotomies about Puritanism that seems to reflect more of your struggle thats anything else.

It is why I can find much of what you say credible. Your opinion statements waffle between broad generalizations based on unverifiable experiences and attempts at reasonable statement that have no persistent continuity.

Case in point your statement "sex is natural we are sexual creatures" You seem to suggest that because human being have a sexual nature that sexual nature permeates anything an everything we are and do. I personally reject that notion. I suspect most naturists would as well. The human "animal" as some like yourself are wont to describe human beings are not purely driven by instinct. We have the capacity under developed in some unused or under utilized by others to moderate our behavior beyond instinctive behavior.

Human being are capable of moderating behaviors that are natural when we want to or care to so that we can live together in social context and community. Unlike other "sexual creatures" we dont just descend into heat at a particular time of year. We have learned for reasons of social connection to control that and most of us are able to resist attacking sexual rivals in violent ways to express our sexuality.

All that to say I no longer find your comments on this subject credible. You see polarity where I suggest nuance. So I leave you to live in the fantasy world of the mythology you seem convinced is reality. Good luck maybe some day you will allow yourself to engage the world of social nudism.

This post was edited

This is a very helpful point because it directly points out the Puritan polarity of "sex acts" vs. "non sexual social nudism." It misses the point that we are sexual creatures, or can be, 24/7, clothed or unclothed, engaging in sex or taking a moment to smell the fresh air and feel the sunshine on our cheeks, of our faces or butts, it's all the same. These acts are sexual because they're creation and life affirming. Nudism which insists that we are either engaging in lewd sex acts or being non sexual is in my mind asexual and prudish. The polarity denies the creative, sexual and affirming power of life. Hypersexuality also denies the warm sexual embrace of life by denying that our whole bodies, clothed or unclothed, active or resting, can also be sexual.The myth of the asexual nudist prude is confirmed.

Instead of answering a direct question, you come up with this incoherent piffle.

This post was edited