RE:Excited Gardening This Year

Got my garden fence mostly up. Frame done, now just have to add the netting. Then I can get the seedlings out to their summer "home."

This post was edited

Happy World Naked Gardening Day! I didn't get to spend time out since I was at a music festival.

This post was edited

I am a day late for world naked gardening day but I was out in garden rototilling it since the rain has pounded it down to concrete like. Once I got that done I was using the rake to level off the dirt to plant. It got hot so I was glad I was nude.

This post was edited

Today I will take down the deer fence. Garden is officially over.

This post was edited

Today I will take down the deer fence. Garden is officially over.

Howdy neighbor (we're up in Virginia)! I've left our animal fences up because I've still got a few cold weather things in the garden doing better than expected - the pea plants look good but no blooms are coming out, not sure why they aren't making flowers, and I never knew cilantro was a winter hardy plant! Two of those which I planted in August as seed but didn't do a damned thing, I'd actually given up on them, until all the sudden in late September they sprout out of the dirt and now they are looking so happy ~ a gardener is always learning. Some carrots are still fighting off the now frigid temps at night but it's probably time to yank all of them and maybe put in some collards. I do dislike it when the temps outside make me have to garden with all that pesky clothing on; piffle to that!

I don't know where Pittsboro is, but have you considered a winter crop instead of closing the garden down this time of year? Good greening!

This post was edited

My winter garden (cabbage, collards & Romaine ) is doing great. We have our first freeze tomorrow so thats the test. And you mentioned fence, I saw a rabbit last night inspecting my collards from outside the fence. It was only 24 in of chicken wire, but to a rabbit it was tough. I checked this morning and saw no sign of decimated veggies so it obviously did work. Go eat weeds all you pesky rabbits!!! My wife is sitting across from me making note that I sound like Mr. McGreggor. Peter Rabbit can eat weeds, too.

This post was edited

As a side note, it dropped to 17F last night. The garden was covered by some old nylon tarps that were made into a pseudo tent structure. It appears that the interior plants did pretty well & the outer edge plants took a hit. I am waiting for night lows to get back in the 30s before the covers come off. With luck, theyll be back. Well have to wait and see.

This post was edited

Just an update on the above; the collards did well and are still growing; the cabbage took a little bit of a hit and the lower & outer tips of the leaves died. I have been able to harvest the ok leaves of both and have had two smaller servings from both plants. We will press on for more.

This post was edited

Began gardening this year. Some seeds are up. Not ready to transplant but doing well. Anyone else getting started?

This post was edited

The seedlings are rooting nicely. Tons of flowers on the beans. Tomatoes are getting bigger. Parsley and cilantro are ready for harvesting.

This post was edited