I think I can, I think I can ... or something like that

Yes, I know, not the most original title but it gets the point across; especially after you cross the 65 YO threshold. I had a auto repair project to do that wasn't complicated, only required a few tools and would probably save me at least $150 in labor. Into the task I delved. But the difference as of late is ease of work. Yep ... you know, after being down on your knees & contorting to all sorts of odd angles for 60 minutes, you just don't jump up and run to the next project. And, probably the worst part is extricating yourself from under / over / beside the car. It then takes a moment or two and then you stand up straight - sort of - and let out an earnest, audible ... uuuhhhhhh! No, it wasn't really too bad but did make me realize that things are not going to get any easier in the future so might as well get used to it. Oh well, I'll just have to allocate more time to the next project and have a cold beer close by when finished to self medicate. Somethings are just worth it.

This topic was edited
RE:I think I can, I think I can ... or something like that

Years ago I got home from work found water all over the floor in front of washing machine, there was wet laundry inside so. Next day I had a day off so start taking the thing apart, looking for bad seals, where it was leaking etc. wife came home from lunch finds me working on washer. What was I doing that for. Said I found water here yesterday when I got home, she was like , oh ah well, ah, I dropped a water bottle there coming in yesterday, picked up the bottle but got sidetracked and forgot to clean up the water..sorry. Thanks honey

This post was edited

Years ago I got home from work found water all over the floor in front of washing machine, there was wet laundry inside so. Next day I had a day off so start taking the thing apart, looking for bad seals, where it was leaking etc. wife came home from lunch finds me working on washer. What was I doing that for. Said I found water here yesterday when I got home, she was like , oh ah well, ah, I dropped a water bottle there coming in yesterday, picked up the bottle but got sidetracked and forgot to clean up the water..sorry. Thanks honey

This post was edited

Funny but not really.

This post was edited

I can relate to this all to well. It took me about 20 minutes over 3 days to change a headlight in my wifes car. I couldnt get my hands to fit it the space while pushing the clip and pulling the cover off. Something I used to do in 5 minutes in front of the parts store, I have to now plan to spend the hole day and schedule a massage session for after.

Never thought I would be the one saying.Back in my day

This post was edited

I can relate to this all to well. It took me about 20 minutes over 3 days to change a headlight in my wifes car. I couldnt get my hands to fit it the space while pushing the clip and pulling the cover off. Something I used to do in 5 minutes in front of the parts store, I have to now plan to spend the hole day and schedule a massage session for after.Never thought I would be the one saying.Back in my day

I owned a '67 Chevy Chevelle with a 350 big block. You could damn near get inside the engine bay, work on anything and still have room to move. Nowadays, as you said, you can't get your hands in anywhere to change a part without disassembling 1/2 the engine. I don't typically work on these new cars anymore. I look at taking our cars to the mechanic for a list of repairs, as keeping small businesses in business! I will still do small stuff, like change light bulbs and such.

This post was edited

I owned a '67 Chevy Chevelle with a 350 big block. You could damn near get inside the engine .

In high school, I took an auto mechanic corse as a way to pay for college. I remember sitting on the fenders with my legged inside the engine bay of 1/4 ton trucks. Now, I can barely get my pinky in to change a fuse. Everything needs a special tool even the oil filter on my Tundra. It is worth taking it into the shop sometimes for this small jobs just to have it done.

This post was edited

I owned a '67 Chevy Chevelle with a 350 big block. You could damn near get inside the engine .

In high school, I took an auto mechanic corse as a way to pay for college. I remember sitting on the fenders with my legged inside the engine bay of 1/4 ton trucks. Now, I can barely get my pinky in to change a fuse. Everything needs a special tool even the oil filter on my Tundra. It is worth taking it into the shop sometimes for this small jobs just to have it done.

This post was edited

Took auto mechanics, electrical shop and wood shop, even metal shop! Learned just enough of all trades to get me in trouble! haha Never became a gear head but learned lots more about electrical and woodworking from my father-in-law. Never got interested in metal work and mechanics was great for all around tool types and uses. Kids these days just don't have the interest in most of that stuff.

This post was edited

I can relate to this all to well. It took me about 20 minutes over 3 days to change a headlight in my wifes car. I couldnt get my hands to fit it the space while pushing the clip and pulling the cover off. Something I used to do in 5 minutes in front of the parts store, I have to now plan to spend the hole day and schedule a massage session for after.Never thought I would be the one saying.Back in my day

I fell you 100%!

This post was edited

Took auto mechanics, electrical shop and wood shop, even metal shop! Learned just enough of all trades to get me in trouble! haha Never became a gear head but learned lots more about electrical and woodworking from my father-in-law. Never got interested in metal work and mechanics was great for all around tool types and uses. Kids these days just don't have the interest in most of that stuff.

We had all of those classes as well as Nome Economics, Typing, Dictation and Sewing. Auto Mechanics was a special school, they had other trades As well like, Electrcian and Welder but I wanted to be a mechanic. We spent half of the school day there. It was run like a garage and we work on peoples personal cars. I made it to crew chief but after high school, no one would higher me with no experience and only being able to work a few hours a week with school.

I still love wood working and I a, glad I know how to type hem my pants when needed. But cars. Its getting more difficult with the computers controlling everything. Gone are the days of fixing a car with the bailing wire, a roll of tape and a screwdriver.

This post was edited