Recent visit to OLT

My wife and I just visited OLT/VVHS for the first time last week. We were on a driving trip to visit friends in CO. While making our way to Colorado Springs, we stopped by to take a tour of OLT/VVHS and Wow ... were we surprised at what a great place it really is. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We were given a tour and were able to take some pictures. The staff even offered us a day use visit free but we were on a pretty tight schedule. If we'd had a few more hours, we would definitely have stayed and enjoyed the pools and hot springs.
We liked that OLT limited the amount of people visiting so it wasn't crowded. Lots ofcouples and singlesthere and some broughttheirchildren. Only one thingwe did not like was that the "Smoke Hut" was adjacent to 3 of the best RV spaces. At the time, the wind pushed the smoke away from these spaces but unknown if that changes and you'll have the smoke traveling over to these spots, which would not make these spots very popular.
We spoke to our friends about it and they are looking forward to meeting us up there in the fall or next summer so we can spend a few days there and experience OLT/VVHS formore than just a short visit.

This topic was edited
RE: Recent visit to OLT

My wife and I just visited OLT/VVHS for the first time last week. We were on a driving trip to visit friends in CO. While making our way to Colorado Springs, we stopped by to take a tour of OLT/VVHS and Wow ... were we surprised at what a great place it really is. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We were given a tour and were able to take some pictures. The staff even offered us a day use visit free but we were on a pretty tight schedule. If we'd had a few more hours, we would definitely have stayed and enjoyed the pools and hot springs.We liked that OLT limited the amount of people visiting so it wasn't crowded. Lots ofcouples and singlesthere and some broughttheirchildren. Only one thingwe did not like was that the "Smoke Hut" was adjacent to 3 of the best RV spaces. At the time, the wind pushed the smoke away from these spaces but unknown if that changes and you'll have the smoke traveling over to these spots, which would not make these spots very popular.We spoke to our friends about it and they are looking forward to meeting us up there in the fall or next summer so we can spend a few days there and experience OLT/VVHS formore than just a short visit.Glad you liked the place. It is no longer a well-kept secret, and is usually booked pretty solid just about every day now, so don't plan on just showing up.
As for the smoke hut and the wind, it would be a rare day that the wind blows east to west, though it does happen. I suspect the smoke hut will be short lived, and smoking is banned in it's entirety within a few years anyway. Seems to be the trend everywhere.
During the Summer (Usually mid-July - early Sep), the Mexican free tail bat takes up residence on the property. Make sure you go to the mine to see them out-flight. It's quite a sight.
I'm curious if you were there 29 July - 4 Aug range? I was there, and it would have been nice to meet. My next trip probably won't be until 2018.
John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

My wife and I just visited OLT/VVHS for the first timelast week. We were on a driving trip to visit friendsin CO. While making our way to Colorado Springs, we stopped by totake a tour of OLT/VVHS and Wow ... were we surprised at what agreat place it really is. The staff was very nice andaccommodating. We were given a tour and were able to take somepictures. The staff even offered us a day use visit free butwe were on a pretty tight schedule. If we'd had a few morehours, we would definitely have stayed and enjoyed the pools andhot springs.We liked that OLT limited the amount of people visiting so itwasn't crowded. Lots ofcouples and singlesthere andsome broughttheirchildren. Only onethingwe did not like was that the "Smoke Hut" was adjacent to3 of the best RV spaces. At the time, the wind pushedthe smoke away from these spaces but unknown if that changes andyou'll have the smoke traveling over to these spots, whichwould not make these spots very popular.We spoke to our friends about it and they are looking forward tomeeting us up there in the fall or next summer so we can spend afew days there and experience OLT/VVHS formore than just ashort visit.
Glad you liked the place. It is no longer a well-kept secret, and
is usually booked pretty solid just about every day now, so don't
plan on just showing up.
As for the smoke hut and the wind, it would be a rare day that the
wind blows east to west, though it does happen. I suspect the smoke
hut will be short lived, and smoking is banned in it's entirety
within a few years anyway. Seems to be the trend everywhere.
During the Summer (Usually mid-July - early Sep), the Mexican free
tail bat takes up residence on the property. Make sure you go
to the mine to see them out-flight. It's quite a sight.
I'm curious if you were there 29 July - 4 Aug range? I was
there, and it would have been nice to meet. My next trip
probably won't be until 2018.

John aka cobeachbum

We did enjoy the visit and our trip there will NOT be one where we
just show up ... we live too far away for a casual drop in.
We will definitely have reservations.

I got nothing against anyone that prefers to smoke ... just prefer
not to have to smell it or breathe it. I smoke cigars and I
think I'm pretty considerate of where I smoke them and if I'm
around anyone I will ask if them mind. If they mind, I don't
smoke or I take my stogie elsewhere! hahaha

We visited on July 20th. Missed you by a week and a
half. We really want to return and visit in our
motorhome. The office staff got someone to take us
around and give us a tour. The only thing we would have done
differently was to drive our car through the gate, take off our
clothes and taken the tour naked. I know that some of those
that were there and using the pools were taken back a little with
this couple walking around completely clothed while they were all
naked. Hell ... we wanted to be naked too!

Apparently, the night before our visit, there was a contingent of OLT guests that walked up to the bat cave and witnessed them flying out. Lots of talk about them during our tour. We have so many trips planned at the moment that we have to put
this return trip to OLT on hold. Our friends from CO
are also quite busy and we want to visit OLT with them when we do
that trip. Can't wait!

This post was edited

The only thing we would have donedifferently was to drive our car through the gate, take off ourclothes and taken the tour naked. I know that some of thosethat were there and using the pools were taken back a little withthis couple walking around completely clothed while they were allnaked. Hell ... we wanted to be naked too!I don't think anyone really cared. It is "optional", and everyone knows that. The week I was there, I would say 10-15% of the people remained clothed in the ponds. It amazes me how many people insist on putting something on when leaving the ponds.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

We saw that ... actually it was only two guys that had shorts on
and sitting in the pools... amazed as well. I think the only thing
that may bother Di a little is the coed bathrooms. Showers, she's
fine with. Not sure she'll visit the coed potties. She'll most
likely just use the motorhome. hahaha

Can't wait to visit and stay. Our friends stayed in one of the
Sunset Cabins and enjoyed it. They now have a cab over camper
that they'll be using when we visit. It works well for them. It was
a little tight for us. Hell ... I'd be just fine pitching a
tent!

This post was edited

Hi Andy, I went to OTL for the first time about 25-30 years ago and fell in love with the place. Even though I live in Illinois I have tried to get back there at least once a year. After you spend an evening there soaking in the large pool with the bats swooping down to drink and a zillion stars overhead you will think you died and went to hot springs heaven. Yes its more crowded that it used to be and you most defiantly need reservations but it has lost none of its charm. Maybe we will meet up next year.

This post was edited

My wife and I just visited OLT/VVHS for the first time last week. We were on a driving trip to visit friends in CO. While making our way to Colorado Springs, we stopped by to take a tour of OLT/VVHS and Wow ... were we surprised at what a great place it really is. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We were given a tour and were able to take some pictures. The staff even offered us a day use visit free but we were on a pretty tight schedule. If we'd had a few more hours, we would definitely have stayed and enjoyed the pools and hot springs.We liked that OLT limited the amount of people visiting so it wasn't crowded. Lots ofcouples and singlesthere and some broughttheirchildren. Only one thingwe did not like was that the "Smoke Hut" was adjacent to 3 of the best RV spaces. At the time, the wind pushed the smoke away from these spaces but unknown if that changes and you'll have the smoke traveling over to these spots, which would not make these spots very popular.We spoke to our friends about it and they are looking forward to meeting us up there in the fall or next summer so we can spend a few days there and experience OLT/VVHS formore than just a short visit.We were just there for the first time July 17-22.We stayed at the Sunset cabin for two nights and then camped in a tent for three nights. Really liked the relaxed atmosphere. Can't wait to go back.

This post was edited