Why do people typically get into nudism at a later age?

I just wanted to open up a general discussion on why I don't really see many people on here my own age. Just to clarify, I started on this site when I was 18 and started going nude in college. I took a 3 year hiatus from this site because of the lack of fellow nudists my own age. Thoughts? opinions? Conspiracy theories? What to you guys think?

This topic was edited
RE: Why do people typically get into nudism at a later age?

Most of us start being nude at your age or much younger. The thing is that we are not all aware of this site up until much later in life and thus the reason why many of us here are a little bit older than you ;) Hawk

This post was edited

I just wanted to open up a general discussion on why I don't really see many people on here my own age. Just to clarify, I started on this site when I was 18 and started going nude in college. I took a 3 year hiatus from this site because of the lack of fellow nudists my own age. Thoughts? opinions? Conspiracy theories? What to you guys think?
I was 26 when I started taking an active interest in social nudism and went looking for a nudist network on the Web.

1. Most of the people I met online were old enough to be my Mom/Dads - no exaggeration.
  2. I met up with some of the people I met online; all lovely people, and I indeed was usually the youngest guy in attendance.

3. I think it has been that way for a long time. Since I'm 46 now, this phenomenon is obviously not new.

4. Internet social nudism has pretty much always been mostly older people.

This post was edited

When you're younger you are less secure. At a younger age nudism is way beyond the boundaries of what most younger people are willing at that point in their lives to explore. Further you have the cultural differences, which in countries like the US, we see nudity being shunned so we are typically not brought up as feeling comfortable with it. After you get older, and hopefully become a stronger version of yourself, do you start questioning your upbringing and realize what is right for you instead of just following how you were conditioned.

This post was edited
RE:Why do people typically get into nudism at a later age?

I would like to add that I beleive many young men and women get involved at a later stage simply because they were not exposed to nudism growing up. Without an early exposure, it probably does not even cross their minds that nudism is a great lifestyle.

That is a great point. There is no doubt that growing up in France in a nudity-friendly environment played a yuge part in me becoming a social nudist in my 20's. It planted the seed of nudism in my mind at an early age.
The younger nudists I've met over the years: quite a few of them had been exposed to nudism while vacationing abroad; while others had grown up in nudity-friendly countries (Eastern Europe or even South America in some cases). And of course some had nudist parents.

When I talked about nudism with some of my Gen X peers in my 20's; it was like talking about flying pigs: a completely foreign and incomprehensible notion. The internet has changed that a bit; I think Millennials are more educated on the subject. But that doesn't mean they are going to participate.

This post was edited
RE:Why do people typically get into nudism at a later age?

A few observations I have had in this regard. When it comes to resorts or clubs, the activities seem to be tailored toward older people and not much effort is put into attracting younger crowd. Another issue is that people who are of retirement age tend to have more free time. There could also be the mentality that many young people have of nudity being associated with sex or wild parties more so than older people do. There is also the question of how to attract more women. All that being said, I have seen a fair number of younger people as well they just tend to be in the minority (although it does depend on the event, there are some events where young people are well represented). Organizations lie Young Naturist America are putting in a good effort to change this.

This post was edited