is it legal to drive in the nude?

just wondering. I don't know if I would do it or not.

it's reasonable to expect different laws in different US states.
probably more accepting in Florida? :O

i'd certainly have a tee shirt and shorts in the seat next to me.

maybe andydi would know.

This topic was edited
RE:is it legal to drive in the nude?

I only know what I've been told and what I've experienced first hand. I may have had cops that didn't care, cops that knew I was not breaking any laws or ... cops that didn't see me.

First: I/we drive high profile vehicles. Second; ALL our vehicles, except for the motorhome have dark tinted windows. The motorhome's windows are tinted dark but not the drivers or passengers windows ... yet! Third and most importantly ... I drive naked for comfort and NOT so anyone can see me. I do not pull up close to vehicles higher than me nor do I pace other vehicles on the highway or freeways. I also am prepared IF I suspect that I may be in a situation where I might be seen or could be seen. I've been driving naked, almost always, for over 45 years. I drove naked, on occasion, back and forth from San Francisco when I was in the Navy, for 32 years while I was working on the fire dept and I've driven naked in every town, city, county, state and country we've ever visited.

I've been seen by cops parked next to me and they seemed to be more interested in if I had a seat belt on. I've been stopped by Highway patrol in AZ and questioned about my motorhome and they said nothing about me and my buddy being naked (not sure if they saw us. We were in the motorhome.) I've spoken to law enforcement officers in every city where I worked, county sheriffs deputies, highway patrol officers and ALL of them said, "we' got more important things to do than to go check out someone just driving nude. If you're doing something lewd, we'll investigate but just driving nude, we don't care." ALL of them also said ... ";-) ... just don't do anything lewd!!! :D"

Your laws, your experiences and encounters can and will vary from any of mine.

This post was edited

Free Legal Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

This post was edited

just wondering. I don't know if I would do it or not.it's reasonable to expect different laws in different US states.probably more accepting in Florida? :Oi'd certainly have a tee shirt and shorts in the seat next to me.maybe andydi would know.

Probably don't need the shirt.
I drive shirtless most of the summer and have been stopped more than once and it was never an issue.
Also barefoot on those occasions but was wearing shorts or a swimsuit.

This post was edited

First: I/we drive high profile vehicles. Second; ALL our vehicles, except for the motorhome have dark tinted windows. The motorhome's windows are tinted dark but not the drivers or passengers windows ... yet! Your laws, your experiences and encounters can and will vary from any of mine.

I don't know how dark you mean by dark tinted windows, but in the UK if the drivers and front passengers are too dark you can be had up because you are unable to see out so well because you visibility is reduced by the darkened glass. Driving nude wont be a problem over here.

This post was edited

First: I/we drive high profile vehicles. Second; ALL our vehicles, except for the motorhome have dark tinted windows. The motorhome's windows are tinted dark but not the drivers or passengers windows ... yet! Your laws, your experiences and encounters can and will vary from any of mine.I don't know how dark you mean by dark tinted windows, but in the UK if the drivers and front passengers are too dark you can be had up because you are unable to see out so well because you visibility is reduced by the darkened glass. Driving nude wont be a problem over here.

In New Jersey, USA, dark tinting of the windshield and two front side windows is against traffic laws. You can be ticketed. This is a result of some brain dead guy who had a gun and shot a cop because the cop could not see into the car.

Bob

This post was edited

First: I/we drive high profile vehicles. Second; ALL our vehicles, except for the motorhome have dark tinted windows. The motorhome's windows are tinted dark but not the drivers or passengers windows ... yet! Your laws, your experiences and encounters can and will vary from any of mine.I don't know how dark you mean by dark tinted windows, but in the UK if the drivers and front passengers are too dark you can be had up because you are unable to see out so well because you visibility is reduced by the darkened glass. Driving nude wont be a problem over here.

There is factory tint, then a shade darker, then another shade or two darker and then there is Limo Tint. We tint our vehicle driver and passenger windows a shade or two darker than Limo depending on available shades. At any rate, we've tested out visibility and though you can see me through the tint, you can't tell if I'm naked or not.

WE DO NOT TINT OUR WINDSHIELDS! Tinting is illegal here as well but ... cops will not stop you and ticket you for tint. If they stop you for other reasons and you give them attitude, they'll add on things like tint but as a rule ... 99% of cops will not stop you for tinting alone.

This post was edited

First: I/we drive high profile vehicles. Second; ALL our vehicles, except for the motorhome have dark tinted windows. The motorhome's windows are tinted dark but not the drivers or passengers windows ... yet! Your laws, your experiences and encounters can and will vary from any of mine.I don't know how dark you mean by dark tinted windows, but in the UK if the drivers and front passengers are too dark you can be had up because you are unable to see out so well because you visibility is reduced by the darkened glass. Driving nude wont be a problem over here.In New Jersey, USA, dark tinting of the windshield and two front side windows is against traffic laws. You can be ticketed. This is a result of some brain dead guy who had a gun and shot a cop because the cop could not see into the car.Bob

That was exactly the reason for California passing the tint law here BUT ... several people challenged the citations in court citing that the citation issuing officer had a personal vehicle with illegal tint so how could he give out tickets for breaking the law when they were also breaking the law. After several cases became public on TV news outlets and newspaper stories, cops in Southern California won't take the time to stop and ticket you for tint alone. The ticket is a fix it ticket. You have the tint removed and provide proof. You wait a while and go back and have the tint reinstalled. This and many other laws aren't always enforced and you just take your chances. It's part of life driving here in So. Cal.

This post was edited

From what i can tell it seems that it is legal as long as you aren't doing anything lewd. Drove back from the nudist resort this Sunday without bottoms on. Kept the shirt on because of the seat belt. Was a wonderful 2.5 hour drive.

This post was edited

From my understanding, mere nudity isn't against the law in US but the caveat is that many states have laws that leave things to open interpretation. For example, many states have laws which states that being nude and being lewd and lascivious is illegal. The meaning of lewd and lascivious is an open interpretation and majority of states do not define that. That being said, it all depends on police officers and other law enforcers to decide what constitutes as lewd and lascivious. Some, if not many, will think your nudity alone is lewd and lascivious.

I have driven nude before and never been caught. To drive nude safely simply means to follow common sense. Do not do anything that will draw attention to yourself, obey the traffic laws, and exercise caution. Again it all boils down to common sense: do not speed, do not play your music loudly as that will attract attention, do not do it during rush hour, and/or do not go around exposing yourself. Also, if you can, take some precaution by getting your windows legally tinted and ensuring you have clothes you can quickly and easily put on if problem arises.

This post was edited

typically i have heard of people driving in underwear just in case. that way if a child sees you somehow, you won't get in "be put on a list" trouble

This post was edited