RE:Surviving Valentine's Day 2018

I prefer to celebrate the other 364 days and not cheapen my wife by buying into yet another celebration of human gullibility. If it is your thing then great, but do you really need a calendar to tell you to celebrate something that in reality you could just celebrate every day?

I agree why not celebrate love every day. We are supposed to show love every day and not just one day of the year. I'm not big on celebrating Valentine's Day , not because I'm single. I've had significant others and celebrated with them, but I am from the standpoint that true love doesn't wait until one particular time to show it. It show be year round and also Valentine's Day is a form of big capitalism (just my opinion on the capitalism)

This post was edited

I prefer to celebrate the other 364 days and not cheapen my wife by buying into yet another celebration of human gullibility.

A wonder if she agrees. Yes it's good to celebrate love with a partner all year round. But why not take an opportunity for an extra special celebration? My late wife and I loved each other dearly. Oddly she was the one who always forgot our wedding anniversary until a grand daughter was born on the same date. Then it was called "Felicity's birthday". But we did really push the boat out for our silver wedding anniversary. It is good to have special days like anniversaries and Valentine's Day. If not we may as well give up celebrating birthdays and Christmas.

This year you could have a sort of excuse. Feb 14 falls on Ash Wednesday. You could be giving up celebrations for Lent.

This post was edited

Well in my case I am single and have been for many years so had nothing to bother over for this but this year I will avoid the local shop/post office as I will be most likely greeted by the manageress with here is my valentine.

This post was edited

It is the commercialization of these special days that I have trouble with. I love my wife, children, grandchildren, and friends. We celebrate, but in a low key way. We feel no need for gifts that are often bought just because there is a sense that a gift is necessary. We tend now to have everything we want and if we do want something we go out and get it for ourselves. Most often it is a lunch date, a special meal cooked at home, completing a task that has been on the honey-do list for too long, an expression of some kind to acknowledge the day, or a Skype visit with those who are far away. Over priced candy which none of us need, jewelry that never gets worn, and flowers that the cats will eat and she doesn't notice are dead are not on the list.

This post was edited

The "boss" has informed me that we are not going to ignore valentine's day this year. In my opinion, it is a day created by vendors to sell flowers and cards and chocolates. However, she has informed me that this time, I am to emulate a normal guy and take appropriate measures. So, I had to go online and find out what "normal" guys do for their spouses. It was eye opening.

Not yet sure if I will invest in flowers that will soon die or chocolates that she won't eat. Will see...

This post was edited

Posts # 16, 17, 18, 19 .... :DDDDD

You guys need to fricken relax and not take this thread so damn seriously. No one's gonna think you're less a man just because you don't want to partake in Valentine's Day, buy flowers, candy ... any gifts at all. If your wife/loved one is truly fine with not making a big deal out of this day and it works for you, you shouldn't be spending so much time on here trying to convince others that what they are doing for this day and their loved one is wrong, stupid or unloving of someone 364 days out of the rest of the year. Take a chill pill! :D

This post was edited

this is a no brainer : candy, flowers or whatever .. happy wife happy life ....... yea its worth the trouble !!!!

This post was edited

As much as I hate to admit it...these comments all have a common thread...everyone is different. Whether you celebrate the day as something super special or nothing at all...it's personal prerogative. Our different views and approaches are what makes us an interesting lot... just remember to respect each other's choices. For me...the flowers are on the table and the card is waiting to be left on the bedside table (beside her morning tea) on the 14th. Nothing 'over the top' but just a reminder of how much she means to me.

This post was edited

what a sentimental bunch you are, such romantic slush sounds like a chick mag. Enjoy the 14th and all the days in between, isn't it great to have that someone beside you even if it is is only for a fleeting moment in our lives. One point though where are the female partners on here stating what they do, guys are we being cleverly guilt manipulated here ?

Damn guys ... we're ruining this tough guy's day! "Sentimental bunch, romantic slush sounds like a chick mag..." Do what works for you, you non sentimental, unromantic, non chick mag reading manly man! The only guy you're trying to convince you're somehow more man than those that send an extra message of love and acknowledgment to their significant other on such a non consequential day ... is the guy you look at everyday in the mirror! Peace .... ;D

This post was edited

I was in the local community post office/shop on Friday posting some parcels when Valentine day came up and she wont be in there this week ( I posted earlier on this subject that I will be avoiding going there that day) and when I said that costs go up for Valentine's day she said it will be still good to be parked by a beach in a warm car and each other company.

This post was edited
  • [[USERNAME]] sent you a friend request
  • [[USERNAME]] said "[[OTHER]]"
  • [[USERNAME]] accepted your friend request
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your photo
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your video
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your wall
  • [[USERNAME]] replied "[[OTHER]]" on your wall
  • [[USERNAME]] liked your profile
  • [[USERNAME]] liked your photo
  • [[USERNAME]] liked your video
  • Next Swipe Swipe