Nude in gym locker room

I'm new to going to a gym. They have showers but I don't see anyone using them. I live a long distance away and would like to shower when I get done with my workout. I see lots of complaints on the internet about older guys walking around nude in gym locker rooms. I would be more comfortable if this was true. I don't want to offend anyone so I don't shower at my gym. Any thoughts on this matter? It's a chain so I thought about trying another location to see if I am more comfortable. Thanks for any comments.

This topic was edited
RE:Nude in gym locker room

Screw 'em. The showers are there for a reason. Use them! Few people at my gym shower either, but I won't let that stop me. I will not ride home stinky and sweaty. And for the record, I wear nothing but shower shoes going to and from shower and locker. I won't wrap my clean towel around my nasty sweaty body...

This post was edited

When I was in school back in the late 60s and early 70s we were REQUIRED to shower after gym classes and sports programs. The showers were communal and no one gave it a second thought. I dont understand why its such a big deal now. I guess it might have something to do with the homophobia pushed by the ultra conservatives in the USA and elsewhere. Using fear to turn a normal and innocent practice into something now considered immoral is just plain sick.

This post was edited

Locker rooms and showers are provided for the customer's convenience and nudity is expected in them even if some patrons are not fully comfortable with it. You pay for the facilities. Use them and do not be ashamed. Since few of the other patrons use the showers, you are likely to be alone in there anyway.

This post was edited

Do your own thing. Be confident that you are fine using them because... YOU ARE! Like people have said, they are there to use. Nudity is expected in locker rooms. As long as you are showering, getting dressed, etc, you are fine to do those things nude since that's the place to do them and how to do them.

If you're so concerned about being the only naked one, shower, but then after you're done drying, do as I do. Wrap a towel around you so that you don't offend the prudes until you are ready to put clothes on. People literally just act normal around me and nobody gives me any odd looks despite their security level. Basically you just do what's right for you but take in consideration others and you'll be fine showering at the gym

This post was edited

I'm new to going to a gym. They have showers but I don't see anyone using them. I live a long distance away and would like to shower when I get done with my workout. I see lots of complaints on the internet about older guys walking around nude in gym locker rooms. I would be more comfortable if this was true. I don't want to offend anyone so I don't shower at my gym. Any thoughts on this matter? It's a chain so I thought about trying another location to see if I am more comfortable. Thanks for any comments.

Just because others don't use the showers is no reason for you not to if you want to. You say you have a long drive home, but also mention you don't want to offend anyone. What about offending anyone you encounter on the way home with a sweaty workout smell? The showers in the locker room are provided to prevent that. No real reason to worry about "offending" somebody in the locker room with your nakedness, as that is something that they should come to expect in that area. After all, that is what it is there for, to change from one set of clothes into another and the gym provides a means to clean up in between the change of clothes. If some of them want to be offended by seeing a bit of nudity then that is their problem and they need to get over it. That's just catering more to all this politically correct BS that is going around. Those people are going to find SOMETHING to be "offended" about in most any situation they find themselves in. So THEY are the ones that need to learn to deal with it, not you. Don't worry about what they might think, you are there for a purpose, to get out of your workout clothes, get cleaned up, and get into your street clothes for the trip home. You will only be there for a few minutes anyway while you do this. Just do what you need to do in there and go about your business and leave them behind to be "offended" if that is what they want to do.

There is a thread in the "Men's Room" discussion group on here that addresses locker room nudity more in depth, so I suggest you look it up and read the responses on there. That should enlighten you more on this subject matter.

This post was edited

I used the shower at the gym just last night and I've seen many others do as well over the years. I wrap a towel as I walk from the locker to the shower but that's me. It's not required. Other gyms where it's closer I didn't bother.

Guys shave naked, shower naked, appear naked while changing. It's why they build the locker rooms.

My one observation is that you won't see younger guys (under 25 say) using the shower. They don't even come in with street clothes. But that's them. I work it the way I like it as do many many others.

Maybe more important then all that... have one of the trainers walk you through a weight-lifting routine. Don't guess and wing it. And always compare yourself to what you did yesterday and never to anyone else you see in the gym. Sweat, lift, have fun, live longer.

This post was edited

I can only add to the previous posters' support of your showering, and you don't need to invent any "good reasons." If you live next door, you should feel free to shower anyway. I am hopeful that this disdain for being naked in a men's locker room is a short-lived phenomenon, but the only way to change the course is to be the one who demonstrates that it is in fact normal to be naked to change, shower, etc in a locker room.

Actually, I always shower at the gym regardless of other guys' behavior. I love the fact that I don't have to clean my shower at home (I am single). In fact, every so often I have to dust the bathtub :-).

This post was edited

It would be more offensive to not shower and be a stinky sweaty mess!

I once worked with a guy whose idea was to get up early to go surfing early in the morning, and then go to work. The guy did not shower, and oh man, he was rank!

Ok many puritanical people are offended by simple nudity, and what do they do! Wear clothes into the shower? No, they go about the rest of their day smelling like a sweaty, greasy and gross pig! They want to impose their thinking on others as if they rule the country.

I say, take your shower in whatever is best for you, so you do not make people uncomfortable being near you!

Newd is not lewd!

This post was edited

One thing to consider if they are in your home town, go to a Korean spa, they do not allow clothing to be worn in the areas with hot pools, and saunas... that is where the showers are located. Many have gymnasiums, too!

This post was edited

I overheard someone complain to the front desk at my gym about the amount of nudity going on in the locker room. The gym manager politely told them as long as it's not sexual they are allowed to be naked in the locker room and sauna room.

This post was edited
  • [[USERNAME]] sent you a friend request
  • [[USERNAME]] said "[[OTHER]]"
  • [[USERNAME]] accepted your friend request
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your photo
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your video
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your wall
  • [[USERNAME]] replied "[[OTHER]]" on your wall
  • [[USERNAME]] liked your profile
  • [[USERNAME]] liked your photo
  • [[USERNAME]] liked your video
  • Next Swipe Swipe