wet or dry ?

i thought i might as well start another debate haha ........ wet ribs or dry ribs that is the question and the age old debate continues ....

This topic was edited
RE:wet or dry ?

I've had both and enjoy both but probably prefer wet ribs. It might be that the dry ribs I've eaten were just a bit too ... dry! :DD

But like all my grilled meats, I love a good char and enjoy it when the sauce has a little char as well.

This post was edited

anyone that knows me will tell you that i LOVE BBQ sauce
BUT with that said i believe that the ribs should stand on their own merits
thats why i never ever put sauce on my ribs , i'll cut em up and plate em and have the sauce on the side i want the rib to be good enough to eat dry ....if its not then i feel like i have failed

This post was edited

i thought i might as well start another debate haha ........ wet ribs or dry ribs that is the question and the age old debate continues ....

Boy oh boy do you know how to raise the rabble...

I'm in a mixed marriage - my wife prefers wet or St. Louis ribs while I am more enamored with dry Memphis style ribs, using sauce as more of a condiment. I guess variety is the spice of life.

Make no mistake however, put ribs in front of me and they're not long for this world, no matter what style!

This post was edited

hahaha thats what makes BBQing interesting ,
funny you mentioned the St Louis cut, last Saturday the wife bought 3 slabs of spare ribs and i made the St Louis cut on them , i always save the trimmings and smoke them along with the rest ( no sense wasting good meat )

This post was edited

I usually buy mine pre trimmed as I'm too lazy to do it myself. If I buy spare ribs, they go into the smoker whole. Like you, I won't waste any part of the rack.

This post was edited

Like AndyDi, ill eat them wet or dry, if they are good. And I agree with Funcuple that a rib should stand on its own.

I guess you would call the ones I make wet. This is how I learned how to BBQ from my Louisianan family over the years. First I season the ribs will a lot of different herbs and spices and place them in a pan that i cover with plastic wrap and let soak in the refrigerator at least over night. I save the drippings from the soaking pan for a "Mop Sauce". I then place the ribs on the smoker with indirect heat for about 4 hours turning them about every hour. When I turn them I brush them with the mop sauce (down home, they would use a rag on the end of a stick as a mop I have a fancy brush now.) I know they are ready when the meat pulls away from the bone. I usually pull the end pieces off to taste and let the wife tell me if I did a good job or not. I know i did good when she throws the bone back at me. I then transfer them to a low direct heat grill or I put them a slab at a time over the wood and brush them with BBQ sauce and cook for a couple of minutes on both sides so that the sauce caramelizes. Then, cut and serve

That is how I like my ribs and sometimes I will do chicken this way but brisket, shoulder or butt i serve dry.

This post was edited

I really like a nice wet butt! Oops, think I, in the wrong group! :D

This post was edited

not really........ i think we all like a nice butt some of us just like them to be dry .....lol

This post was edited

Gave this a lot of thought and finally decided that my answer has to be "no". I can't stand the soggy ribs that come out of the crock pot but not into shoe leather either. The best ribs that I have managed to produce were dry rubbed, cooked in a closed smoker using indirect heat, temp maintained at 225 F, foil pan of water directly under the ribs, with a cooking time of about 4 hours. I don't do all the smoke at once but usually do 4 applications of about 4 oz of soaked chips every 45 minutes or so. The resulting ribs are moist (not wet), tender, and the connective tissue has broken down during the process so that the bones come out of my mouth clean. I have tried other methods, mopping with sauce, spraying with apple juice, yes, even tenting with foil, but none of those came close to the method described above.

Like Calvin said, sauce on the side for those who think they need it.

This post was edited

frog : don't soak those chips and you will get a better tasting rib

This post was edited
  • [[USERNAME]] sent you a friend request
  • [[USERNAME]] said "[[OTHER]]"
  • [[USERNAME]] accepted your friend request
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your photo
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your video
  • [[USERNAME]] commented "[[OTHER]]" on your wall
  • [[USERNAME]] replied "[[OTHER]]" on your wall
  • [[USERNAME]] liked your profile