What's the big deal?

Had a chance to visit a Icelandic swimming pool today. Some actually go to swim but most go for the extensive soaking pools with various water temps. All outside which was perfect on this spring-like day with the sun out and temps just above freezing. I do find it amusing that all the travel info informs us tourists that we must shower NUDE before entering the pools. Things like "we will get you naked" etc. There are open shower areas complete with a diagram with what parts of the body to be sure to wash. Everyone I saw in the men's locker followed the rules I just wish you did not have to put a suit on to enjoy the pools

This topic was edited
RE:What's the big deal?

Funny you should say that. I thought Iceland was more nude tolerant.

This post was edited

I also thought the pools were clothing optional. In the videos I have seen, people are in all stages of undress to fully clothed. Must be different pools.

This post was edited

They are tolerant but you can't go nude once out in the mixed pool areas. I went again yesterday and the locals are totally fine with stripping at the lockers and walking the length of the hall to the showers. It is just the tourists that are so uptight.

This post was edited

I also thought the pools were clothing optional. In the videos I have seen, people are in all stages of undress to fully clothed. Must be different pools.

Back in 1991 when I lived in Iceland, it was not unusual to see people naked at the Blue Lagoon. (Not real common, but not unusual either). Topless women was fairly common though. Of course this was before the hotel. At that time, there was one fairly small building with lockers, showers, and a small store with snacks and amenities.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

It is just the tourists that are so uptight.

Always fine it amazing when tourists (as opposed to travellers) want to visit an area but want to impose there own views to change the accepted culture.

When in Rome ....

This post was edited