Do naturists have the right idea raising kids around social nudity?

"Now a mom of both an 18-month-old girl and a 3-year-old boy ..."
www.thestar.com/life/relationships/2017/03/07/do-naturists-have-the-right-idea-raising-kids-around-social-nudity.html

This topic was edited
RE:Do naturists have the right idea raising kids around social nudity?

Good article, thanks for sharing that.
I've got two boys that both have been raised with nudism. Their mom and I were separated
when they were young but mom knew my lifestyle and was fine with their being exposed to
it. We visited nude public beaches many times and they took to it like a fish to water. I could
barely manage to keep them dressed most of the time. :-)
They are now both in their 20's and 30's and with kids of their own, and for whatever reason neither
chose to adopted the lifestyle as adults, which is fine! It's certainly not for everyone. But I think
being exposed to non-sexual nudity as kids made them better adults with less hang ups.

This post was edited

In hindsight, yeah, we naturists/nudists have the right idea raising kids around social nudism. Regrettably, we never got that far with our social nudism. We were only home nudists at the time. No internet at that time or we may have been persuaded to try social nudism earlier in our nudist life. Our girls decided to stop with nudism around 12. After their friends made fun of them, when they shared that family info, they felt uncomfortable continuing. We continued but they stopped, except for times in the pool and hot tub.

They both went off to college and ventured away from any nudist experiences, that we know of. They've always came clean about other things they'd done but never spoke to us about nudist ventures after those days in the pre teen years. As we continued with our nudist life, we never kept it a secret from them and told them where we went, what we did and who we met and became friends with. There were never any secrets and we were open and honest with them.

Fast forward 20+ years; we used to take an annual vacation to Club Orient every June. After the first couple of trips, the girls asked us many questions about Club Orient and we told them all about it and told them, "if you want to go and experience it, we will take you, pay for it but you have to stay at Club Orient. You do not have to be naked but you do have to stay where we stay to see what we do and who we do it with." I had retired a few months before our annual trip back to Club O. To our delighted surprise, they accepted the offer and we took both girls, a son in law and the 4 grandkids that were born at the time. We encompassed my retirement with our first family nudist vacation together. To say "they love it" is an understatement. Again to our surprise, they partook in nudism/social nudism the entire week they were there. The girls, son in law and two grandkids that were old enough to remember the trip, talk about it often and they even said that we should all go back to celebrate my 10 yr anniversary of retirement. Regrettably, Club Orient was destroyed by Hurricane Irma and is not currently taking guests. We could have gone elsewhere but the kids all want to return to Club O. We'll have to wait until Club O rebuilds and see how much interest there is at that time.

Our girls had a strong nudist upbringing and foundation. It's given them confidence and helped make them strong, independent women. The youngest, now approaching 40, has visited the nude beach with us numerous times, visited a resort with us and our friends in Palm Springs, visited our club several times but has remarried and her current husband is also divorced and doesn't feel his wife would accept what they do and make it difficult for him with shared custody. Their nudism is on hold and probably practiced when both sets of kids are at the ex's home.

The oldest and her family do skinny dip and hot tub naked. They've established landscaping privacy screening on one side of their yard to provide themselves with that. They sleep naked regularly and simple nudity in the house is not common but frequent enough that it's not anything anyone thinks twice about (shower to bedroom, bedroom to shower, laundry room to shower/bathroom). I'm really glad we brought them up as nudists for as long as they were willing to do it. I'm glad they've participated as much as they have. It's now their decisions how much they do it alone and with their own families. We at least set the ground work and they are better for it. We're sure of that.

This post was edited

when my 1st wife and i were going through our divorce she got pissed with me over something or other and told the child protection service or whatever it was called back then that i was nude around our kids 6 & 8 at that time , so they called me into their office , the lady behind the desk asked me if my kids ever saw me naked ? i looked at her and said ....of course they have we are nudists and there is nothing illegal about that
she thought for a minute and said " you know your right !! its not illegal " we have no problems with you sir
i thanked her and left and never heard another damn thing about it

This post was edited

@AndyDi
I bow with respect. Great post. Deserves a place in a special anthology of TN fora.

This post was edited

when my 1st wife and i were going through our divorce she got pissed with me over something or other and told the child protection service or whatever it was called back then that i was nude around our kids 6 & 8 at that time , so they called me into their office , the lady behind the desk asked me if my kids ever saw me naked ? i looked at her and said ....of course they have we are nudists and there is nothing illegal about thatshe thought for a minute and said " you know your right !! its not illegal " we have no problems with you siri thanked her and left and never heard another damn thing about it

Glad it worked out for you I'm sure it made your heart skip a beat or at least it would have mine. It would not play out here that easily in our county as it did for you. My wife and I worked in the court system for several years. Here there would be an extensive investigation and in my case DCS would move to remove the children and place them with there mother with a no contact until supervised visits were ordered pending investigation conclusion. I resigned after 4 yrs because I figured one day when I was testifying on the stand some defense Atty would enlighten the court of my private lifestyle . I am afraid of ZERO Atty's and there BS when I am on the witness stand but I did not want to get called into the Judges chamber with a pissed off Judge who appointed me.

This post was edited

I think to me the question is not so much "is it the right idea?" but rather "does it work for you as a family?"

I've chatted over the years with a number of people who wanted to embrace family nudism; but couldn't for a variety of reason: ranging from an unwilling spouse, a nudity-unfriendly living situation/environment, lack of social nudist opportunities, etc... In some respects, I was lucky.

I was a "budding" nudist when my daughter was born. My then-wife was not. Luckily, she would eventually be open-minded enough to give resort nudism a chance. Seeing some nudist families changed her opinion about it. Nudity at home then became more frequent and just evolved naturally; from sleeping nude and not hiding after showering/changing, to eventually spending more extended time nude together as a family. Perhaps ironically, it was my wife's idea to start having "naked time" at home: usually evenings where we would all strip down and have dinner, play, watch movies or just lounge around naked together.

After I connected with a non-landed club and visited them, we were encouraged to bring our daughter. My wife and I discussed it, wondering if it was appropriate to bring our daughter to a club with mostly "older" people. We decided to give it a try, which was successful in spite of my daughter being the only child there. That didn't deter her though from being totally comfortable naked amongst adults; which to her was an "extension" of what we already practiced at home. I shared my concern with a club friend, who recommended we meet up at a local resort, which had more nudist families. I felt that if we were going to be a nudist family, it was important for my daughter to be around other nudist children.

That particular nudist resort turned out to be the "right fit." There were many families there, with children of all ages. My daughter took to it immediately; and actually started making friends there from Day 1. Being that she was usually shy but demonstrated no shyness when interacting nude with other children, her Mom and I knew right away that we had made the right choice and found the right venue for our daughter to "grow" socially. For the next few years we became regulars at the resort; and my daughter spent most of her preteen years nude between home and the resort.

It all just worked out perfectly for us. But it was mostly due to my wife eventually embracing social nudity, meeting nudists who encouraged and pointed us in the right direction, and my daughter connecting with other nudist children. Things just fell in line to make social nudity the best possible experience for my daughter. That is until she started dealing with puberty...

This post was edited

Both my wife and I are nudists and have bought up 4 daughters going to Clubs. They saw both girls and boys at various stages of development and when it happened to them they understood what was happening to them. My replay is YES it is good for children to attend a nudist venue with their parents. After all it is better information than what the other kids are getting from friends, behind the school bike shed (or what ever they use nowadays Our girls are all married and have children.

This post was edited

Both my wife and I are nudists and have bought up 4 daughters going to Clubs. They saw both girls and boys at various stages of development and when it happened to them they understood what was happening to them. My replay is YES it is good for children to attend a nudist venue with their parents. After all it is better information than what the other kids are getting from friends, behind the school bike shed (or what ever they use nowadays Our girls are all married and have children.

This post was edited

I think raising kids in a naturist environment is a great idea. When they grow up seeing naked people all the time, it becomes something they're used to. It also sees their own nudity as just another everyday thing, which would be wonderful for their own body confidence further down the line.

This post was edited

It also sees their own nudity as just another everyday thing, which would be wonderful for their own body confidence further down the line.

I agree with you, but there's a caveat here: puberty.

Puberty can derail even the happiest nudist kids' comfort with nudity. Some quit nudism and never "look back"; while others, like Andy's girls, do look back and eventually re-embrace family/social nudism. The long-term benefits of growing up nudists are somewhat of a crapshoot; depending on the child's reaction to puberty.

This post was edited