RE:Can you legally give a nudism seminar and be naked

best words of wisdom so far.

This post was edited

RE: Can you legally give a nudism seminar and be naked

You asked for legal advice.

Free Legal Advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

If are going to do this go see a lawyer.

This post was edited

I don't know? We did see a comedian perform naked and it was his first time as he said being publically nude let alone at a gig. It was at a Resort however and it certainly lend to his comedy observations of the nudist community. That opposed to a textile comedian on a Nude Cruise that performed clothed to a theater of nudist and his observations and comedy about nudist.

This post was edited

I live in a college town and have considered giving a seminar on living the nudist lifestyle. I've considered doing it in a private forum, perhaps booking a private room in one of the local bars in town.I'm sure there would have to be some disclaimer or waiver for them to sign before entering that explained they will be exposed to nudity and that they are entering at their own will.I'm concerned that there would still be legal ramifications if I was naked while giving the seminar, or having a slideshow with nude images that depict the naturist lifestyle including images of nudity in art and history.Has anyone out there ever done a seminar like this or are there members of the legal community that could give clear guidance and direction as to whether this would be acceptable? Would I still face legal issues?I feel the College Community is ripe and ready for such a seminar which would include a Q&A segment.I would prefer to hear specific legal guidance rather than just opinions.FreeLee

I would only assume if nude bowling nights, naked swims in public pools and restaurant take overs for naked dining have taken place, with some research and checking with local law enforcement, if the same precautions and perimeters were met, I can't see why they wouldn't allow you to advertise and have a nude seminar is a private area of a public place.

Can't hurt to ask!

This post was edited

RE: Can you legally give a nudism seminar and be nakedYou asked for legal advice.Free Legal Advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.If are going to do this go see a lawyer.

Ha. Yes this is true. However, the lawyers, if they don't know one area of the law, it's this one. My group has overturned the ban on our clothing optional beach by using the law as it is written and during Pride and the parade, again using the law. Nudity can be illegal for health and safety. It can be a city bylaw, it can be a city policy (not a law), it can be an institutional practice or code, rarely, is it truly illegal for morality reasons. Most of the so-called morality claims have really dubious legal standing. However they can be used as a cudgel and are.

Technically, nudity might be considered free speech under the US constitution, but no successful argument has been made (they heard a case on Burlesque). I think when it is political there has been the view that it is legal but when it is not it may fall under the general bylaws or ordinances of the state or city. The SF case went to the 9th and was upheld. The SCOTUS ruling below relies heavily on the Antonin Scalia version of the law which elevates the idea that Christian values and morality are the jurisdiction of the courts and bodies are clearly immoral...it's absolute bunk in my opinion and it looks at the wrong part of the equation (not what the majority assumed standards are but rather the minority standards), the Constitution was drafted to protect the lesser powers against the tyranny of the majority. Scalia was perverse.

Barnes v. Glen Theatre, Inc. (SCOTUS)

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Free-speech-doesn-t-cover-nudity-4233650.php

(city of san fran)

I think with the current court impossible but, with the right case and well funded and researched there is a stronger argument for than against. Hiding behind bylaws is schoolmarmish. The bylaws were not enforced for years and the community grew the way it did, do not punish the community fix the bylaw...this argument is why we do it different in Toronto.

This post was edited

I don't know? We did see a comedian perform naked and it was his first time as he said being publically nude let alone at a gig. It was at a Resort however and it certainly lend to his comedy observations of the nudist community. That opposed to a textile comedian on a Nude Cruise that performed clothed to a theater of nudist and his observations and comedy about nudist.

You can be naked for art as long as it is advertised as such. Art is recognized as having nude bodies in it. Comedy is an art. The case I quoted before ruled that burlesque is not. Boats are weird. When they get past the nautical limit they are governed by the captain who has the authority to execute passengers (technically) and dictate most anything he likes, the code is the law of the sea. However, he is also usually under contract and so on and so forth. Nudity on the sea is more than legal unless captain says no. In the nautical limit it's art most places and the resources to pull one dude off of a ship because he is violating Virginia's public decency ordinance would be viewed as frivolous.

This post was edited

I am NOT a lawyer but often advise manufacturing companies on compliance/regulation issues in the US. We have federal, state, local and even trade unions laws, regulations and ordinances. They're not clear and can even conflict each other. But "law" is driven more by litigation than rules. In many cases, what is allowable isn't advisable if you can get sued as a result.
I imagine you may need some statement and maybe even a written agreement, and that may just kill the spontaneity of it all.

This post was edited