Should You Get Naked Around Your Kids to Help Their Body Image?

_
"Many parents most, really choose to cover up around their kids, but some ..."

Article: jezebel.com/should-you-get-naked-around-your-kids-to-help-their-bod-1719727210

This topic was edited
RE:Should You Get Naked Around Your Kids to Help Their Body Image?

In most nude families it is self-evident that one is much of the time nude. It also boosts self-image of kids. Unfortunately some nudie families are just "holiday nudies" and there long periods of textile life, during which kids in teens often turn shy about nudity and may also develop body / looks issues.

What comes to textile families in much of Northern and Central Europe it is not anyhow exceptional occasionally stay nude in textile families, like when sharing a bathroom, going to sauna or swimming / sunbathing in a clothing optional or secluded spot. But big differences except according to country, also according to subcultural setting.

In general I doubt nudity, as long as taking place in normal, not voyeuristic environment, is never harmful for personal development of kids and youth.

This post was edited

First wife and I were nude around the house all the time my children never had a problem with being nude and grew up thinking it was normal. My second wifes sons who were in their twenties when we met had problems seeing their mother with a nude man we surprised them one day by both being nude. First time they had ever seen their mother naked which seemed very odd to me. But they got over it and eventually tried joining us. Not very keen though unlike my children who are more than happy to be nude with their step mum so I guess it depends on upbringing

This post was edited

If the family is already nudist, I don't see why this needs to be brought up. The answers are kind of already right there, I believe.

This post was edited

Interesting article; I missed it the first go 'round.

I had a conversation once with a friend about nudity at home with kids. She was contemplating it because her young son seemed "obsessed" with nudity; and asked me about it since my family and I were nudists. She wasn't sure how to "proceed." I told her that daily "casual nudity", i.e. leaving doors open, sharing the bathroom, would be enough to get "the point across." She tried it and it worked for her.

Some of us choose to go beyond "casual nudity." My family practiced it for a time, until my non-nudist wife experienced social nudism a couple of times and realized she actually really enjoyed being naked. That changed the dynamic. My wife subsequently embraced home-nudism; and "suddenly" we were all spending quite a bit of time naked together. We eventually discussed it and decided to "take the path less traveled" and just stay naked at home. It just made sense for us.

The difference between "casual nudity" and "home-nudism" is simply duration. It was as simple as just hanging up our clothes by the door first thing when we got home; and just staying naked until the next morning before heading out. A simple concept in reality; but also a difficult concept for a lot of people. Sure, you can teach your kids about body image with simple "casual nudity." But they can learn so much more through extended and social nudity. My daughter's Mom and I came to that understanding when she was about 3; at which point we decided to bring her to a nudist resort. There, she got to meet other nudist children, and interact with nudists of all ages; including teen girls, providing her with first-hand knowledge of the various stages of development she would be facing. And she was way ahead of her "textile" peers in terms of body image and knowledge of development/physiology.

I think "casual nudity" is a good "introduction." But from my experience extended and/or social nudism just takes it to a "higher level."

This post was edited

I so totally agree that families should rear their kids to be nudists from day 1. Obviously, there are the potty training issues, but once that hurdle has been crossed, why not raise the kids to be nudists at home? I would much rather my children see each other nude and their parents nude all while they grow up! It answers all the questions of the differences between males and females without any of the secrecy and whispering that can go on with young kids.

This post was edited

Around my kids? My kids have seen me naked since kids and they don't care. They also walk around the house naked or in underwear. We taught them that nudity is not always related to sexuality or sin.

This post was edited

Being naked many mornings with my father in our shared bathroom had a major influence on my comfort with nudity.

This post was edited

same experience here, thats why fathers are so important. never a second thought about it, bro and i followed him around like little ducks, we did what he did.. shared bathroom learned how to take care of our business.. importance of standing up straight, look sharp like u know what day it is lol, .. feeling totally natural not ashamed of having a body... good prep for athletics community open showers ect. that freaks people out today. did the same for my boys

This post was edited

I remember my did did not really start going nude around the house till my sister went off to college

This post was edited

If you want your kids to learn how to relax, less stress. In there lives. Learn them naturism early
I have noticed nudity in & the house in more relaxing than clothed around the house.
So going back to question YES YOU SHOULD BE NAKED AROUND YOU KIDS.

This post was edited