RE:Is masturbation sin?

So, I'm a sinner to the core.

This post was edited

It depends, IMO. Whether masturbation is sin or not is a matter of context. It's obvious that the male body requires release at a certain frequency, as evidenced by the fact that wet dreams return if one does not self-pleasure every so often. Nothing about our bodies is inherently sinful. Moreover, regular release helps promote prostate health and improves mood, sleep, and so on.

That said, anything done to excess, even if good, can be bad or sinful, if you will. If you're constantly obsessing over masturbation to the exclusion of important things, like your relationship with your significant other, improving yourself through study, nurturing your career, getting enough sleep, meeting your responsibilities, and looking after your health, then I'd say it becomes sinful. If you selfishly seek pleasure only for yourself and are uncaring of others, then it is sinful.

It's not the act itself that is sinful or not. Masturbation is a necessary bodily function, like eating , sleeping or using the bathroom. In the context of a well-rounded and well-adjusted life, it's just a simple pleasure. If it takes over your life, it becomes harmful. My two cents.

This post was edited

As far as I can tell, the only verses in the Bible that deal directly with anything remotely related to masturbation are Genesis 38:9-10. From the NIV:

9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brothers wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORDs sight; so the LORD put him to death also.

This seems to be the passage that's always used to declare masturbation a sin. But it's really hard to read it that way. It seems pretty obvious that the sin in the Lord's sight was not proving a son to his late brother's wife.

If you really want to believe in the Bible and follow it, there are a couple things to take away here. First, if you have a brother who dies and leaves a childless widow behind you'd better get her pregnant and raise a child with her. Not doing that is clearly a sin worthy of death. Second, if you literally believe the Bible, and think this passage is about masturbation, just keep your seed off the ground. I can think of plenty of other places for it to go other than on the ground.

If you have scripture which more clearly defines masturbation as a sin (and not something vague like "sexual impurity" or "desires of the flesh") please do let me know.

This post was edited

I don't believe that masturbation is a sin, at an early age is part of the exploration of our bodies ( an enjoyable exploration).
I truly believe that all men have masturbated themselves at some stage in their lives though unfortuantly a lot of guys are to inhibited or embarrassed to admit that they have taken themselves in hand to completion of the act.
And a lot of guys still enjoy this pleasure regardless of their age, some on occasions and some on a regular basis.

Whether a guy is gay/bi or straight we have all enjoyed taking our meat in hand and pleasuring it
Same goes for females, should they wish to I see nothing wrong with self pleasure, forget science, religion and others that may disagree with what you enjoy, do what you feel is right for you.

And that is just the solo sessions, what about when you have a partner in bed with you ( or wherever you are able to enjoy sex) part of lovemaking ( used as a general term) masturbation of each other is often part of the foreplay be it M/F, M/M or F/F.

As long as the setting for these acts if appropriate, not embarrassing for others around is right go for it.

I admit even at my age I still do.

This post was edited

If it is a sin, then uam going to Hell, because I masturbate 3 to 4 times a day.If it feels good, do it!

Oh, buddy..lemme tell ya. If it was a sin, Lucifer would gave done spit Judas out of his mouth, brushed, flossed, and gargled in anticipation of my arrival into his jaws, imprisoned forever behind the jail bars of his very bloody and slightly nicotine stained fangs.

(Be not fooled by all of that. He flosses with barbed wire and gargles with septic water, or so I've heard. Guess I may find out for sure before long, as I've just stopped - well...you know...to type this profound bit of nonsense out.)

But none of this is anywhere NEAR the nonsense of thinking masturbating is or even could be some sort of sin. I swear...christians baffle me the most and the most frequently of just about any group of folks I can think of sometimes (except those who willingly choose darkness and selfishness over aiming for love and light). No, the christians all but snuff out all the light God has provided for them in this world in their quest to avoid...darkness?

*****The following is a TL/DR situation unless you just want to read some dazzling off the cuff spiritual scribbling. If not, you can exit at the end of this here. Short version: It ain't a sin. We should all thank God for masturbation.******

Still reading? OK. Away we go...

It's the same old show as with nudity itself, folks. If the naked part was the bad part, that would have to mean God was the original, ultimate, cosmic peeping Tom pervert, all that time leering down on Adam and Eve and delighting that they were NAKED and they DIDN'T KNOW IT...and He could SEE THEM. Ya dig? NO. The original sin was, is, and always will be disobedience to God.

What is disobedience to God? What is SIN? I'm afraid that may vary from person to person and situation to situation, for the most part. But FEAR NOT! Once again, God's got ya. TRUST...He will let you know personally each and every time when such a situation arises and which course to choose to remain in His good graces (which is also because that will be the choice that's really better for YOU). It will then be up to you to follow His advice or chart your own course. (That other course WILL, of course, amount to - say it with me: Disobedience to God. Calamity will eventually ensue, you'll eventually come crying back foe help, and He will help you. Lather, rinse, repeat. For the whole of your life, no matter how many times it takes or how rotten you've been. Because He's God. It's what He does. It's sort of what you'd call His thing. He's known for it. Ask around.)

But anyway...yeah. Nudity wasn't and isn't a sin. Likewise, masturbation. I mean...it's a bit like when you have a favorite food. Do you suddenly just swear it off because it delights you and helps get you through the days? Not usually. That ice cream or that salad is delicious for a reason, hon. Touching yourself...down there..feels good for a few reasons, too. And otherwise, what's your plan? Give up comedies? Sunsets? Music? Hugs? Staring at the stars at night? Smelling the flowers? What? Of course not. That would be madness unless your enjoyment of those things started to cause troubles in other parts of your life and most of all steer you away from caring about your relationship with God or listening to that little voice inside. Oh - cuz that little voice? That still, small voice? That's the one I was talking about when I said He will always let you know personally every time you are at a peril point, so make sure He stays in your Contacts. On speed dial. OK?

Do you need to stop yanking it? Why are you asking this bunch? Ask the One you need to ask. He will tell you if it is a problem for you at the moment or not. Don't rely on any human for matters of your soul. Never. Not ever. There could be terrible consequences.

Just think...if you'd gone to God in the first place instead of placing your trust in other humans, you wouldn't have had to suffer through all of this verbal vomit, now would you?

Can I get an Amen?

This post was edited

Genesis 38:9-10. From the NIV:9 But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brothers wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORDs sight; so the LORD put him to death also.

The sin was more probably sleeping with his brother's wife. Recently I was at an exhibition of Rodan's kiss and told the storey behind it. He was naked and kissing his brother's naked wife. The brother/husband caught them and killed them both. Which one went to hell fastest? Apparently there are different levels for fornicators and for murderers.

I'm thinking that masturbation (and letting the seed fall on the ground) is a much lesser sin, if a sin at all. according to classical art all those going to hell are naked. Does that make nudism sinful too?

This post was edited

You are right on. Growing up I never could understand why wet dreams were normal but masturbation wasn't. I hated having to wake up at night to change my Jockey shorts.

This post was edited

I don't believe that masturbation is a sin, at an early age is part of the exploration of our bodies ( an enjoyable exploration).I truly believe that all men have masturbated themselves at some stage in their lives though unfortuantly a lot of guys are to inhibited or embarrassed to admit that they have taken themselves in hand to completion of the act.And a lot of guys still enjoy this pleasure regardless of their age, some on occasions and some on a regular basis.Whether a guy is gay/bi or straight we have all enjoyed taking our meat in hand and pleasuring itSame goes for females, should they wish to I see nothing wrong with self pleasure, forget science, religion and others that may disagree with what you enjoy, do what you feel is right for you.And that is just the solo sessions, what about when you have a partner in bed with you ( or wherever you are able to enjoy sex) part of lovemaking ( used as a general term) masturbation of each other is often part of the foreplay be it M/F, M/M or F/F.As long as the setting for these acts if appropriate, not embarrassing for others around is right go for it.I admit even at my age I still do.

I am so at peace with it physically and spiritually that, frankly, it does not - would not - alarm or disturb me at all to be in the company of others (one to untold millions) who would feel free to do it whenever they wanted or needed whether I'm doing it or filing my taxes. On the contrary, that sort of level of comfort between humans is an almost unheard of level to reach, and if I found myself among such trust in vulnerability, I would probably start regarding it as some sort of sacred thing. A blessing, definitely.

I realize I am so left field that I'm all but over the fence to most, but I shall speak my Truth nonetheless.

This post was edited

Lol...yep think we all in trouble if it is

This post was edited

Its normal ~ enjoy yourself!!

This post was edited