What kind of church did you all attend growing up and what kind of church you all attend now?

I have grown up and currently attend a Southern Baptist Church

This topic was edited
RE:What kind of church did you all attend growing up and what kind of church you all attend now?

Uk Methodist Church

This post was edited
RE:What kind of church did you all attend growing up and what kind of church you all attend now?

The United Methodist Church....in the deep south (US).

This post was edited

Catholic.

This post was edited

Roman Catholic

This post was edited

Raised as a Catholic by a mom who had been raised as a Methodist. Then we switched to Christian Church. More recently, I have been with Metropolitan Community Church, which is the one I relate to best so far.

This post was edited

I grew up with SDA parents, and ancestors back 150 years more or less. But my mother taught me not to take anything for granted, test and prove everything for myself. And so with careful and detailed study of the Bible I found Seventh day Adventist basic belief lineup to be closest to the truth, but unfortunately the modern trend is away from that. So I stayed with it and attend an SDA church, but consider my relation with my Lord to be independent of organized religion. Forget organized religions, we stand or fall before God one on one with Him. The latest prophetic dreams that look valid are revealing some pretty harsh things about all organized religion. It's all departed from God's plan for the most part. The messages are specifically directed toward the SDA church and are declaring the system is headed off the wrong way and God's getting fed up with it, and in time will take drastic measures to clean it up. Typical kind of message that came from the ancient prophets, only adapted to modern times, so I think it's valid. But due to the way it backs off from blind loyalty and takes an honest view of how things really are, the clergy hates the revelations and condemns it as of the devil. LOL! typical pharisees. I would urge everyone who desires to follow our Lord to back off from blind loyalty to any organized system of religion and study out what's what for yerself. It seems all churches are heavily populated and led by "pharisees" who are more into power and pride of opinion and teaching traditions, than actually humbly following the Lord of life. Only using religion as cover for their power/pride agenda, deceiving themselves and others into the line "we have the truth, we're heading to the Kingdom"
One interesting point is that I was specifically led of God into naturism, and these new prophetic dreams seem to be naturist friendly. (another hint of their validity) Even though the SDA system seems one of the least naturist friendly. I think the non naturist element of all Christianity is running on mans perversion of God's instruction, while our Creator Himself is very naturist positive. Being His original plan was naturist life in paradise gardens and that never changed. And when He actually commanded Isaiah to go naked in public for 3 years in demonstration of a prophetic message. That really got to me. Made me realize He didn't care a wit of we were naked in life or not, might even be quite beneficial. And sure enough, since then I've ascertained just how terrible a curse the clothing agenda has been for our moral wellbeing. Far worse that we've ever imagined. Even most practicing naturists don't realize the extent of it's influence for evil in our culture.

This post was edited

I have avoided organised religion for many years. Now I pray and have built a relationship with God directly. Have tried them all, Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Apostalistic, Anglican. All were nowhere near the truth sadly.

Of course you know perfectly what the truth is. Just like every founder of a new denomination.

This post was edited

Ihave found that at this congregation I was expected to listen and then ask questions and decide for myself who God is and how I am being call to serve God in this world.

That puts you far ahead of most of the people who feel so called of God to proclaim their own understanding as "the" truth. Anyone who is unaware that everyone, and I mean everyone, understands the Bible through the lens of their own experience and point of view, is not someone I'm going to allow to dictate what to believe.

This post was edited

I was baptized Roman catholic but I dont practice any religions anymore

This post was edited

My home church is Harvest Christian Fellowship, but since I am in Ohio now, I go to an affiliate, Calvary Chapel. For those who do not know, Calvary Chapel was ultimately the result of the Jesus Movement back in the late 60's and early 70's, where Chuck Smith reached out to the hippies and surfers in Southern California. I enjoy it not only because it is doctrinally sound in the essentials of the faith, but all Calvary Chapels practice verse by verse teaching. We need the full counsel of God, not topical sermons from a shotgun approach to the Bible. Quite a few of our current Christian Music artists are from a Calvary Chapel, to include Jeremy Camp (Dont miss out on the movie that is coming out next month based on his testimony!!!), Crystal Lewis, Switchfoot, and others.

This being said, while I love Calvary Chapel and the continued Jesus movement in America, it is not the only Christian Church that God is at work. I know quite a few that are awesome. But as we tell new believers when they are counseled after an altar call: Church should meet three criteria; 1) It should be a Bible Teaching church; 2) It should be a worshipping church; 3) It should be a fellowshipping church. If it has two, but not all three, keep looking. Harvest was/is awesome, but it was not the only church in Southern California that loved Jesus. We always told people that they needed to pray and ask the Lord where HE wanted them to go, and if that took them away from Harvest and to another church across town, then great! They had our full support and love.

Remember what Augustine said: "In the essentials, unity. In the non-essentials, liberty. In all things, charity."

Amen?

In Christ,
Don

This post was edited