Ready for a road trip soon - Australia

Howdy all, Cooler weather is here and here in Cairns it is perfect. I hope to government is going to open the doors for more travel and think we should talk about a road trip. Anyone up for some 4x4 in Queensland?

This topic was edited
RE:Ready for a road trip soon - Australia

Good for you. I would think there is plenty of open land out there to go out for some off roading now.
Here in California they closed any managed outdoor areas. Meaning anything with a gate they closed. But there is so much out there that they simply cant control. Such as our deserts and uncontrolled mountain roads. I feel like it is the perfect time to go way out. So I say pick a location and just drive. Nude off course.

This post was edited

Our plan exactly. We are big desert off roaders and a weekend boys trip is being planned for weekend after next. Hoping sons in law and grandsons can come along but it's possible I may have to go alone! If so, that'll make for some naked off roading and exploring! ;DD

Death Valley is our normal destination and it's vast enough where you rarely see any law enforcement. But saying that, I've been out exploring and driving naked and approached by a male and female ranger, twice in 12 years of visiting. Both rangers, especially the female, were quite friendly and accepting. The male ranger only stopped for a moment and said for me to be careful out there alone.

The female ranger actually got outta her truck and we talked for several minutes. She also advised me not to explore alone and find someone to enjoy the desert "naturally" with. I told her that my buddies knew what I was doing and where I was. They'd come looking for me if I didn't return in a couple hours. We shook hands and she got in her truck and began to drive off but not after waving back at me. Now that's a level headed law enforcement officer.

This post was edited

That is awesome. I am curious to hear if they attempted to close down Saline Warm Springs.

Been looking to go out there but hesitate to drive out alone. The fear of off-roading alone has been drilled into me from a young age. If I did I would be Uber prepared.

Great time of year for it though. Should be perfect temps.

This post was edited

We would love to get out more and yes you are correct there is lots of open areas in Oz. But from what we have seen is more police presence so will wait just a bit longer. What are some of the places you all like in CA?

This post was edited

Sounds like fun in Death Valley. We visited a few years ago and as normal did not spend enought time. Would love to meet fun groups to do the same once we can travel again. Karl

This post was edited

Sounds like fun in Death Valley. We visited a few years ago and as normal did not spend enought time. Would love to meet fun groups to do the same once we can travel again. Karl

This post was edited

Death Valley is a good one. Then all the hot springs in the Owens Valley and Mammoth area. You could spend a good week or two in those areas exploring the outdoors.

Then there is San Diego for Black Beach and some off roading inland from there. I have yet to do it but have always wanted to use De Anza Resort as a home base for a couple days of off-roading. I would research that first. Not sure how good the off roading is out there. But the resort is nice.

This post was edited

Death Valley is a good one. Then all the hot springs in the Owens Valley and Mammoth area. You could spend a good week or two in those areas exploring the outdoors.Then there is San Diego for Black Beach and some off roading inland from there. I have yet to do it but have always wanted to use De Anza Resort as a home base for a couple days of off-roading. I would research that first. Not sure how good the off roading is out there. But the resort is nice.

You're right not to go off roading by yourself. Always go with another vehicle. One of the first things I was taught about off roading. If not to get you out of a stuck spot, at least to go for help if you can't help yourselves. I'm not an expert off roader by any means but I've become quite a bit more confident in venturing off road as a trail boss. Now that one son in law and our eldest grandson both have Jeeps and our other son in law is looking to buy a Jeep, we can now go off by ourselves and not have to wait for my buddies from the FD. One of the first things I was taught about off roading.

Some awesome trails near DeAnza Springs Resort in Jacumba, CA. Anza Borrego is reasonably close by and we've begun to scratch the surface of off roading trails in the park. Just look on the map and find DeAnza Springs Resort and then Anza Borrego State Park for various trails and difficulty ratings. There are some really great, easy trails to drive on. Mid week is best for naked 4x4ing and exploring. My wife and I have done a couple of the really easy trails alone. They are mostly dirt roads with very minor bumps and ruts but easy enough for stock high profile vehicles. I've pulled a couple of small compact cars out of the sand. Just gotta know where to put your tires and where not to.

DeAnza Springs Resort and Anza Borrego State Park are a great combination for a nudist off roader!

This post was edited

That is awesome. I am curious to hear if they attempted to close down Saline Warm Springs.Been looking to go out there but hesitate to drive out alone. The fear of off-roading alone has been drilled into me from a young age. If I did I would be Uber prepared.Great time of year for it though. Should be perfect temps.

They have not closed down Saline Valley Hot Springs. A good buddy I used to work with and part of our off road group was just out there for the day. He partook in the hot tubs but wore swim trunks up at one of the outlying tubs where those that usually wear swim suits usually go. The main hot tub is always nude use... even if it says "optional." I think many visitors go to the main tub and see all the nudies and venture off to one of the outlying tubs.

A great spot to spend a couple of days. It can get really windy out there and cool at nights during the latter part of Winter. That's usually when we go out to DV, March. It's a 45 mins drive from the south entrance off 190. We base out of Panamint Springs Resort. In a 4x4 vehicle, you can make it to the hot springs in less than an hour once off the main road, 190. You can take the north route out that's actually a better road. It's a little longer but because it's a better road, you can go faster. Takes about the same amount of time to get to the 168. Head west on 168 to 395 and then head south back to Panamint Springs Resort... or stay in Big Pine and use the north entrance. Either way... is a nice ride. The northern route sees a few more cars, just in case you break down alone.

There are a few trails out of Saline Valley Hot Springs that are fun to take but be informed, one of them is really tough and requires technique, one is less rough and the other is rocky and bumpy but easy enough for novice to intermediate off roaders.

This post was edited

Tex, we are in Victoria and the Qld border is still closed to everyone coming in so we won't be coming any time soon it seems. I saw the Qld premier on a news grab say the whole of he state was open to the locals and it is a big state so enjoy. We'll get there one day and hopefully soon as winter has kicked in down here and it's cold. Enjoy, I'm jealous.

This post was edited