RE:COVID 19 vs Naturists

Chris19801, who evidently doesn't know much about epidemiology, wrote:

The key to it all is covid has barely killed anyone, covid is simply stated as contributed to on the death certificates. The majority having serious issues to begin with or very old and too weak to handle most infections.

I explained this elsewhere a while ago: If there's a blind man crossing the street and he's killed by a car he didn't see coming, it might be argued that it was his blindness that killed him, because if he'd seen the car, he might have gotten out of the way. But that's not what the death certificate is going to read.

Yes, some people may have pre-existing conditions that contributed to their vulnerability, but the point is that, without COVID, they'd still be alive.

As for the other points, 200,000 deaths is not trivial (and it is expected to reach 50,000 more by the end if the year). Herd immunity? Maybe, when we reach 80% of the populace getting immunized ore developing antibodies (which may not provide permanent protection). I wouldn't count on it.

And those who cite a death rate of around 1% or less are comparing deaths to the total population, not to the population that has been exposed to the virus, and certainly not the people who have actually contracted it. Consider: the death rate from skiing is extremely small. But it is zero in the population that has never tried it and never will. You have to compare the death rate with the population who have actually skied. That gives you a truer figure for the mortality rate.

All this is basic epidemiology and statistic analysis, but those who choose do ignore these basic principles are going to end up giving people a false impression of the risks.

I am not surprised that so many prominent Republicans and evangelists, who have downplayed the threat of the virus and have held mass meetings without distancing and masks, have come down with the virus, and a few have even died from it, whereas people who haven't attended those things and treat the virus seriously seem to be doing a lot better. Funny how that works.

This post was edited

Chris19801, who evidently doesn't know much about epidemiology, wrote:The key to it all is covid has barely killed anyone, covid is simply stated as contributed to on the death certificates. The majority having serious issues to begin with or very old and too weak to handle most infections.I explained this elsewhere a while ago: If there's a blind man crossing the street and he's killed by a car he didn't see coming, it might be argued that it was his blindness that killed him, because if he'd seen the car, he might have gotten out of the way. But that's not what the death certificate is going to read.Yes, some people may have pre-existing conditions that contributed to their vulnerability, but the point is that, without COVID, they'd still be alive.As for the other points, 200,000 deaths is not trivial (and it is expected to reach 50,000 more by the end if the year). Herd immunity? Maybe, when we reach 80% of the populace getting immunized ore developing antibodies (which may not provide permanent protection). I wouldn't count on it.And those who cite a death rate of around 1% or less are comparing deaths to the total population, not to the population that has been exposed to the virus, and certainly not the people who have actually contracted it. Consider: the death rate from skiing is extremely small. But it is zero in the population that has never tried it and never will. You have to compare the death rate with the population who have actually skied. That gives you a truer figure for the mortality rate.All this is basic epidemiology and statistic analysis, but those who choose do ignore these basic principles are going to end up giving people a false impression of the risks.I am not surprised that so many prominent Republicans and evangelists, who have downplayed the threat of the virus and have held mass meetings without distancing and masks, have come down with the virus, and a few have even died from it, whereas people who haven't attended those things and treat the virus seriously seem to be doing a lot better. Funny how that works.
While I believe that Covid is serious, deaths are overstated. I am personally aware of more than 1 person who contracted Covid while in a career hospice program and were counted as Covid deaths. A state found an admittedly small number of murders, suicides and accidents in the Covid count. Basically anyone who has evidence of Covid when they die is in the Covid count, no matter what other conditions are present.

This post was edited

tWhile I believe that Covid is serious, deaths are overstated. I am personally aware of more than 1 person who contracted Covid while in a career hospice program and were counted as Covid deaths. A state found an admittedly small number of murders, suicides and accidents in the Covid count. Basically anyone who has evidence of Covid when they die is in the Covid count, no matter what other conditions are present.

I know only one person who tested positive for COVID-19. He died.

This post was edited

Well said woodsman21!

This post was edited

I get so irritated when I hear folks deny the virus is real. With 212,000 dead now how can it still be called a hoax? This is exactly why we have a death rate that is 4 times greater than any other wealthy country. Too many disbelievers are spreading the virus. I've lost several friends to this "hoax" all were healthy people. We need to wake up and take it seriously. Sorry for the rant.

This post was edited

tWhile I believe that Covid is serious, deaths are overstated. I am personally aware of more than 1 person who contracted Covid while in a career hospice program and were counted as Covid deaths. A state found an admittedly small number of murders, suicides and accidents in the Covid count. Basically anyone who has evidence of Covid when they die is in the Covid count, no matter what other conditions are present.I know only one person who tested positive for COVID-19. He died.

I know over a dozen who tested positive and four who died.
Three of them were in the same nursing home/assisted living complex.
NJ was one of 4 states who sent older non-critical covid patients to nursing homes, even when there were plenty of empty beds in temporary hospitals.

This post was edited

Chris19801, who evidently doesn't know much about epidemiology, wrote:The key to it all is covid has barely killed anyone, covid is simply stated as contributed to on the death certificates. The majority having serious issues to begin with or very old and too weak to handle most infections.I explained this elsewhere a while ago: If there's a blind man crossing the street and he's killed by a car he didn't see coming, it might be argued that it was his blindness that killed him, because if he'd seen the car, he might have gotten out of the way. But that's not what the death certificate is going to read.Yes, some people may have pre-existing conditions that contributed to their vulnerability, but the point is that, without COVID, they'd still be alive.As for the other points, 200,000 deaths is not trivial (and it is expected to reach 50,000 more by the end if the year). Herd immunity? Maybe, when we reach 80% of the populace getting immunized ore developing antibodies (which may not provide permanent protection). I wouldn't count on it.And those who cite a death rate of around 1% or less are comparing deaths to the total population, not to the population that has been exposed to the virus, and certainly not the people who have actually contracted it. Consider: the death rate from skiing is extremely small. But it is zero in the population that has never tried it and never will. You have to compare the death rate with the population who have actually skied. That gives you a truer figure for the mortality rate.All this is basic epidemiology and statistic analysis, but those who choose do ignore these basic principles are going to end up giving people a false impression of the risks.I am not surprised that so many prominent Republicans and evangelists, who have downplayed the threat of the virus and have held mass meetings without distancing and masks, have come down with the virus, and a few have even died from it, whereas people who haven't attended those things and treat the virus seriously seem to be doing a lot better. Funny how that works.

woodsman21,

I real wish there was a thumb up button here ;-)

This post was edited

I think the biggest problem with Covid is the "It only happens to others" mentality!

I work in the public every day, an essential business.
An employee came to work, she had symptoms. She has allergies so made the personal assumption that she wasn't really sick.
As a policy, she was required to report her sickness but didn't because she felt she was okay.

Not!

She worked for three days around others, then found out she was positive.
It started a domino effect. Some coworkers who she had been in direct contact with had to self quarantine, two more of them eventually became positive. One of them infected their whole family, no telling how many more were infected by them as a result.

The ones who tested positive caused another group to have to self quarantine.

Fortunately, only three of my employees actually have contracted the virus but it could have been much worse. Many had to be out of work as a result of one person who should have just stayed home when she didn't feel well.

We follow all the CDC guidelines, I believe it helped control what could have been a much worse situation but it still had a very negative impact on the business with so many out of work and the income of some others. Just because on person felt "it only happens to others, not me"!

One of the positives was tested early and was negative but it was too early to detect it as they were not showing symptoms yet but surfaced several days later. They thought they were in the clear due to the negative test so when the real thing finally hit, it was written off as a cold instead of going to get re-tested, causing a spread to even more.

This story isn't related to naturists but I'm writing this as more of a public service message. It is vital that any symptom have to be taken seriously. Don't be that person that thinks that it wont happen to you.

For the record, the first was a senior, the second, in their 20's and the third in their 40's.

I'm not an alarmist but I am a realist. If people don't take this serious it will much more difficult to get it under control!

I personally don't like wearing a mask but will and do for the sake of others as well as my own personal protection. You don't need to be a scientist to know that you shouldn't get near people who are sick or that you should stay away from others if you are sick.

Don't be a Karen! We all have to act responsibly for the well being of others.

Just my opinion!

This post was edited

FreeLee, nicely written and thank you for sharing. Im sorry youve had to go through this. One of our small businesses that is considered an essential business was shutdown for two weeks because an employee thought it would be no big deal to go hang out with 20-30 of her friends one evening and didnt say anything until several days later when both she and her kid became ill. Weve also run into people that test negative so they think they are free to do whatever and go do something stupid like above and then are shocked when they become ill. Testing is a slice in time, if you test negative then you were negative when they swabbed you, it does not mean you couldnt have been exposed a hour later.

This post was edited

There was someone on NPR that pointed out another difference between the "Spanish" flu and the present epidemic.

Back in 1918, social distancing wasn't seen as important as it is now. When people died of the flu, they usually died at home. Their relatives were around them, and their neighbors would visit, and when the body was finally removed to a funeral home, everybody saw it.

Now, when people die of COVID, they die in isolation. Their friends and relatives aren't supposed to be in the same room, let alone holding the dying patient's hand. This all happens in a hospital, and hardly anybody sees the body being moved.

So COVID isn't visible to the general public. This reinforces the notion that some people have that it's not a big thing, and that precautions can be avoided.

This post was edited