RE:What is the difference between a naturist person and an exhibitionist?

its mostly about one's attitude about their own nudity really, im sure naturism and exhibitionism does intertwine for some, which is not always Obvious but seperated by a very thin veil, I think they way people act upon it, that would be crucial.

This post was edited

I look at it this way, exhibitionism can be a mental illness where a person can't help themselves and get naked or something others will do just for the joy or shock that they give others seeing them naked among the masses.. Hence the phrase "getting your jollies off". Whereas for a naturist it is a lifestyle choice and they wear clothes when and where it is necessary to live among fellow humans but given a choice prefers to be without clothing perhaps when alone or surrounded by their peers but not among the clothed.

This post was edited

I look at it this way, exhibitionism can be a mental illness where a person can't help themselves and get naked or something others will do just for the joy or shock that they give others seeing them naked among the masses.

It seems to be a little harsh to call it a "mental illness" unless the person finds that it interferes with his or her normal life. I prefer the classification of "fetish," which is something a person finds it helpful in being sexually aroused, often to the point where arousal is impossible without it. That's the clinical definition of a "fetish."

Hence the phrase "getting your jollies off".

I don't know exactly how to separate amusement from sexual arousal. Certainly I get a thrill from a great performance, but it's not sexual. For that matter, actors and singers say they get a sort of high by performing before a live audience. They want their audience to be thrilled. Would that make them "exhibitionists"? Is that much different from thrilling an audience by performing nude?

Whereas for a naturist it is a lifestyle choice and they wear clothes when and where it is necessary to live among fellow humans but given a choice prefers to be without clothing perhaps when alone or surrounded by their peers but not among the clothed.

I would go with that definition, except perhaps for the last part. In a "clothing optional" setting, I would be comfortable with people whether they're nude or clothed. They respect my choice to be naked, and I respect their choice to be clothed.

This post was edited

I would say the key difference is that a naturist/nudist would not want to be nude among people who were uncomfortable with their nudity, the old saying, "if you're uncomfortable, I'm uncomfortable" . This is as opposed to the exhibitionist who derives their excitement from being naked among those who are uncomfortable or unprepared for their nudity. Furthermore the exhibitionist would probably tire of simple nudity in a setting where it has no taboo.

This post was edited

I would say the key difference is that a naturist/nudist would not want to be nude among people who were uncomfortable with their nudity, the old saying, "if you're uncomfortable, I'm uncomfortable" . This is as opposed to the exhibitionist who derives their excitement from being naked among those who are uncomfortable or unprepared for their nudity. Furthermore the exhibitionist would probably tire of simple nudity in a setting where it has no taboo.

Excellent response

This post was edited

That is a key difference and a very useful definition. Thanks!

This post was edited