RE:Are Nudist clubs slowly killing of naturism?

On the contrary it's more likely that naturism/nudism is killing off nudist clubs, and a good thing too in many cases. There will always be people who enjoy being naked, with or without others around. The club/resort model, however, belongs to certain generations of recreation, and deserves to fade out as those generations age out. This might allow for new styles of naturist recreation to emerge that are not basically RV parks with some games facilities and a pool attached, increasingly used as low cost retirement facilities for ornery white guys.

If I had to guess newer facilities would be more spa-like, more naturey, with workshops and other hippy-dippy activities, drum circles rather than potlucks, arty as well as sporty, with more of a festival vibe. The ideal facility of the future would, like many beaches, be clothing-optional--because who cares if you do or do not want to be naked, and because many more things would be optional as it would be less military-influenced, as many resorts now seem to be. Nudism/naturism would not always be trying to prove its respectability, it would just be itself. Why do I think this? Because the people I know who like being naked also like these kinds of things.

This post was edited

The fact that you are a single male is not the fault of the club.Running a naturist club is not all about your needs. If this club wont accept single men find one that will.Or start one for single men.It seems that that would amount to discrimination on the basis of sex. I don't know if anybody's taken it up in a court of law. If a single woman is welcome, but a single man is not, I think a guy would have a case.But it's probably a moot point, anyway. Would you even want to join a club that has a hostile attitude toward you? I'd find another club.Starting a club isn't easy, though. I've seen lots of "groups" on this site that have one member and no activity at all. This tells me something.I have a question, though. I hear that clubs affiliated with TNS are a lot more sympathetic to single men than AANR clubs. Is this true?

J, the Uk has hundreds of textile holiday parks where you can camp, caravan or use a motor home (RV I think you call them.) non of them discriminate against single men.

There is a good reason they dont.,.. they dont get many single men, if any at all.

These textile parks are exactly the same as the nudist ones, similar layout, similar rules, similar people...... they just dont get a lot of single men. Its the same with textile beaches, you never see a lone male. I know, Ive walked past hundreds of them to get to the nudist area.

You cant fault a club for restricting its membership simply because it doesnt suit your needs at that time.

Understand there are single men who are nudists, and I dont have a problem with that, on our last holiday we went out to dinner with a nice man who was holidaying alone.

This post was edited

StevieLorna wrote:

J, the Uk has hundreds of textile holiday parks where you can camp, caravan or use a motor home (RV I think you call them.) non of them discriminate against single men.There is a good reason they dont.,.. they dont get many single men, if any at all.

I'm not Jehoram, but maybe I can answer this question better, because I do a lot more camping than he does-- at least once a month for the past forty years, except for times like this pandemic.

It must be another one of those cultural things. Over here, we've got thousands of textile camping grounds ... hundreds in California alone, from wilderness "dispersed" camping s where there are no amenities at all to RV parks with full hook-ups. I've camped at private campgrounds, National Forest campgrounds, National Parks, state and local campgrounds.

In my favorite camping areas, I see as many single people, men and women, as I do families. Part of this may be because I camp with groups that are mixed, with young couples, single men and women, and some children in the mix. But I camp a lot by myself, too, and it's not at all uncommon to see single men or single women in adjacent campsites.

Of course, not much of this camping is done at what someone has described as "trailer parks" with huge RVs. At least, my groups don't camp near them. It's been mostly tent camping or, most recently, in VW campers. Usually, the rougher, the better, although the ladies like to use flush toilets and hot-water shower facilities whenever possible. But from what I can see, almost all of the nudist "resorts" and "campgrounds" cater to the posh crowd, with swimming pools, tennis courts, and playgrounds for the kids, which isn't what camping is all about for me.
Now nudist camping opportunities, that's a different thing. You have your choice of "resort" style camping with a nudist club or resort, or "dispersed" camping where you're all by yourself of with your little group in government forests. But since nudity is technically illegal in most of those places, you do it where you can't be seen by others. We don't have that law you've got in England where you can go nude if you're not being a dick about it, so we have to be very discreet.
And, like Jehoram, I too am interested in whether the American Association for Nudist Recreation and The Naturist Society have different attitudes regarding single men. The local club I want to join is affiliated with the latter.

This post was edited

Woodsman if as many single men and women go on textile holidays as you suggest in the Us then there is a case for accusing the naturist clubs of discrimination.

Perhaps its time for the single guys to explain what they think the reasons for being excluded are.

This post was edited

From what I hear, the reason that's being given for single men being excluded or greatly limited in number is that the more single men there are, the more uncomfortable single women are about being around them. And since women are already vastly under-represented in nudist clubs, the clubs want to encourage as many women as possible.

And there may be a latent fear of the club turning into a club for gay male nudists cruising for other gay males. So homophobia may be a factor. I don't know. (Curiously, women seem to be more comfortable around gay men than they are around straight men. They tell me it's because they don't have a fear of being hit on.)

I've never been to any of the resorts or clubs in my area. I hear that Laguna del Sol does not discriminate by sex, so it's on my list to visit once the Covid scare dies down. But that's the only one that interests me. When I make contact with other single men, I'll ask them and get back to you.

This post was edited

I dont believe nudist clubs are killing off naturism, but believe they are in danger of killing themselves.
I will admit straight away I might be biased as I have hit the single male issue being married with a textile wife. But I think the newer younger generation of naturists arent as interested in the classic style of naturist clubs. They largely want a more informal, ad hoc even activity based naturism so swims, beaches, holiday resorts, spas not something they feel tied into going so many times a year to get their monies worth.
I am not necessarily knocking naturist clubs. They are catering for their members and if their members dont want to change and do things to attract new members then fine that is up to them. But it could mean their membership dwindles to the point the club isnt viable. But that doesnt mean naturism will die, it means naturists are off doing their thing elsewhere.

This post was edited

My head is spinning with the changes management at our local club took. It's moved from mandatory nude to clothing optional to now clothing optional even in the pool area. I have seen a burst in visitors coming in wearing costumes at the pool. Do my wife and I care for it....NO. Did it boost business for a dying out small nudist club industry as a whole....yes it did. But I still am not liking it much however I am not them trying to make the bills. It hasn't fazed Luann from being naked so I can live with it. Another 2020 year downer.

This post was edited

My two cents worth...
While I grew up enjoying nude times, married a fellow nudist, with my wife was a new member ambassador (helping new singles and couples feel comfortable on their first times at a nudist club or gathering), and was a public spokesperson for the AANR, and thus really enjoyed the nudist lifestyle, when I divorced in 1999, I found myself on the single male side of the equation...not wanted at some resorts and often looked at with suspicious eyes ate others. While that has changed and single men are welcome at almost all clubs, male:female ratio is out of whack and can be intimidating to women. Plus, many clubs are weighted more towards the 50+ crowd. Those two things are a problem. More single women need to feel welcome and safe in nudist settings, and more younger people need to not only feel welcome but feel that there activities for them, activities that will attract other singles and couples in the same age brackets so they can make more friends.
Now, with that said, I also think it's important to understand that the AANR is not about promoting nudism...it's about promoting nudist clubs and that a big difference. They are more focused on making nudist clubs more attractive and profitable, and not as focused on fighting for things such as nude beaches and other nudist venues/activities outside of clubs. In that sense, the Naturist Society is more geared to promoting and protecting the rights of nudists and nude activities in general.
So I believe that while nudist clubs are important in that they can provide a place for nudists to go and socialize where other activities, like beaches, lakes, hiking, etc., may not be available. But they can't be only geared to the 50+ crowd. Clubs/resorts need to do more to attract and welcome younger crowds. At the same time, the promotion and acceptance of nude sunbathing, nude beaches, nude use of state and federal lands for hiking, etc. must go forward so more people can enjoy nude times, especially where clubs/resorts may not be close or affordable. This more general acceptance of nudism and nude activities is what's most important to get more people into the lifestyle.

This post was edited

Thanks, Nu2NoAz, for a most insightful write-up. Since you've been on both sides of many issues .... established spokesperson/newcomer, married/single ... you have perspectives that most of us don't have. Your comment on AANR is being in the business not so much of promoting nudism as promoting nudist businesses makes a lot of sense to me.

This post was edited

These discussions are always interesting to me as what is described is not my experience. Ive been going to Laguna Del Sol for I believe around 10-12 years and every year (except this year due to COVID), especially on the holiday weekends the place has gotten busier. I have been there two times on regular weekends where I was surprised to find that women outnumbered the men at the main pool Ive also seen more young adults and even young families going and some of those have become regulars or even members. Yes, the age slants to the older folk but they generally have more time and money. Younger people come less often but more than likely go more often as they get more financially stable and are no longer running kids to soccer games etc. Those younger then become the older group as the original older group dies off.

This post was edited